[Nobilis] Evil Friends

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
This time, Roger was ready for the Strategist, willing his dominion over his own body of bones to block the World Breaker's Hand. And then Artus came down, biting Emmerich and then swallowing him whole. Roger winced. "He has to taste so terrible!"

Spoiler: Show
Greater Preservation of Bones - Miracle 6.

AMP: 4/5
DMP: 5/5 -> 4/5
PMP: 3/5
TMP: 0/5

Insertname

Validated User
Mythic Cymru

The dragon bears fangs at Roger and its serpentine tongue flicks over its, cleaning them of the Excrucian's blood. "He tastes of Regret," the dragon says with smug satisfaction.

JaneBond

Saint of Obscurity
Validated User
As Excie ran up the stairs back towards the roof where Nick was, it occurred to her that she probably should have grabbed those chains, but there was no time to double back.

Emerging from the rooftop doorway, Excie shouted; "That was a Shard of Hather Cristnos. He's taken my friends, and your secretaries. I know where they are!"

As she got closer her voice got quieter but with a calm determination. "It's a place far from here, but I might know a shortcut. Maybe we can cut them off before they arrive. Will you come with me, Nick?"

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
"Hold up," Nick says. "We shouldn't charge in halfcocked. There's other people I know who may be able to help. Others wrapped up in all of this and on the side of the world not getting picked clean by cosmic carrion eaters."

JaneBond

Saint of Obscurity
Validated User
Excie knew exactly who Nick was referring to. She had seen what her relationship was to him, and understood that there were others she was connected to as well. Knowing that she was a part of something and had people in the world meant so much to her and it felt almost selfish getting to meet them while her friends were in danger. But if they could help they might just make the difference.

"Maybe you're right," she said, giving him a hug. He smelled like tobacco smoke. "Let's go, Nick. Thanks for helping me. But lets do this quick, okay?"

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
EVIL FRIENDS

CHAPTER TWO - "Creep in a T-Shirt"

"I woke up to my glory days
Never was a child, I was born this way
Always there but always out of place
Feels so alien"

A black van winds down the twisted and hidden roads that lead to the town of Obscurity. As is to be expected from the name, it cannot be found on any map of Massachusetts. To get there you sort of have to know where your going, what signs to believe and which to ignore, and to tune your car radio to a certain frequency. There were other ways, hidden by the Deceiver Hather Cristnos here and there, but each one was likewise hard to find by accident.

The van passes a big sign, one that lists the nebulous population and the town motto, ("Fame is fleeting but Obscurity lasts forever"), much like any other small town in America. Only this one was handcrafted and shaped by an Excrucian to be an entertaining little bird cage. The Shard of Emmerich Natalis sneers at the place and his tenuous ally's sense of style. This was wasted time and effort. There was a War on.

The van stops out front of the dark and shadowy mansion where the other Riders were awaiting. Natalis stepped out of the driver's seat and went around to the side, opening the sliding door and revealing the bound and gagged Dalia, Henry and Walter who were all native residents of this place. Beside them were two mild-mannered and similarly tied up secretaries who had no idea where they were or what was happening. At least Excie's friends knew Hather and felt somewhat safe here.

Little did they know what was in store for them.

THE OSSEOUS TEMPLE

The Lonely Serpent beckoned her Sovereign Powers, and they began to converge within her body, towards her heart.

Attaris II, Nate and Duri were already in the den of the Lonely Serpent. Artus and Roger emerged from an entranceway nearby, whichever the former keeps handy to travel here when he needs to. The last two were on their way momentarily.

The Lonely Serpent, Mwg Hell, Sarff Unig, Hoso Pinco, Ediz Azag or Sola Colubrum, or many other names and titles besides, flicks her massive tongue to breathe in the scents of her servants as they arrive. She motions towards the corpse of a Shard of Emmerich Natalis for her Power of Bones to prepare for her. She slithers closer to Artus as he arrives, a protective, maternal action for the guardian of her last children. Her form looping around the Power of Dragons, the Serpent hisses with voice that aches in the bones.

"We are almost complete," comes the voice from within as the serpent itself flicks its tongue once more. "Smoke comes closer, ever closer, and he brings with him his sister, your sister, the one none of you knew you had. The Power of Obscurity is coming home."

Indeed, a short distance away, emerging through a billowing portal summoned by her newfound brother, Excie Davis steps into the Lonely Locus for the first time.

The barrier between Obscurity and the Earth was thin and impossible to define, but stepping through a cloud of smoke and stepping onto the calcified rock and swampy brackish water of her Chancel was a jarring experience. Here above her was not sky but the looming pink insides of a serpent more vast than she could imagine. The whole world around her moved rhythmically, sometimes suddenly, but never fully stopping.

The bone-like bricks she walked upon lead up to an ancient looking ziggurat, neither Mesoamerican or South-East Asian in makeup, something older, less human. Vines crawled like snakes everywhere, a fetid aroma of life and death hung about the ruins. Excie could see a carved hieroglyph that somehow reminds her of herself, as if it was some long dead hand writing her life in pictograph form.

In the distance Nick could make out the looming shadow of the Osseous Temple. It was floating towards them and it would be easy to grab on as it passed by from the very top of the ziggurat. So they had a bit of climbing to do.

All around them, in the shadows and cracks of the ruined temple, eyes of something decidedly intelligent but equally inhuman glared at the passing nobles. They may have been fierce guardians of this place but whatever tribe of monsters lived here knew to stay out of the way of those who truly own this realm.

Insertname

Validated User
Osseous Temple

Artus squirms uncomfortably in his 'mother's' coils, but makes no attempt to stop her.

Artus isn't exactly focused on the moment at hand. His gaze is elsewhere, living through the lives of heroes across the world rather than his own. He's already sent messages to his expected guests, and is relieved by what responses he has had, and which he hasn't.
He is dimly aware that one of them is most likely responsible for the arrival of the enemy, and that is worrying in itself.

He's searching across heroes for more signs of Natalis's plot. He's hoping that it's not Natalis behind it. Perhaps Septimian did this on her own, then he wouldn't be facing the kind of calculated tactics the Strategist engages in.

But, always assume the worst.

He's in the soul of a woman as she readies her sling and the great white crocodile that lives like a worm in the heart of New York, when the siblings arrive and interrupt his journeys.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Nick waves towards everything with his cigar. "Another facet of the war," he says to his new found sister, "our home base of sorts. Though I keep running the detective agency because it is a part of me, and I spend a fair amount of time on cases through it." He frowns. "Usually it doesn't get hit so hard in things, but that's war."

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Roger Gothic

In his old life, Roger would have been suitably aghast at the idea of cutting up and preparing Emmerich Natalis as a meal. The Dominus Ossum, however, had a deeper and clearer understanding of reality. It wasn't cannibalism because the patron was a dragon, and for that matter Natalis wasn't human no matter what he looked like. The corpse was all made of.... stuff, because the stuff itself was beyond Creation.

So Roger gave a knowing nod, conjured up a table with cloth, bowls and cutting boards and his trusty case of knives to hand. What he did next... The process of how one turns the Shard of a Strategist into a dragon treat is an indescribable thing (and I do not say this just because the Grand Guild of Chefs will come after me for revealing trade secrets). Suffice it to say the final product was lovely, with five-star presentation and a nice lemon zest on top.

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
The Lonely Serpent eats it in one voracious gulp, makes a satisfied digestion noise, and promptly coils back up in a towering heap in the rear of the chamber.

Top Bottom