• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Nobilis] Mean Everything to Nothing

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
AT THE SHORE

Cora had memories, and she had big nasty black spots where memories should be. Some times she would wake up miles from where she remembered being, and have no idea how on Earth she had ended up there. Tonight was one such night, where the cold realization of being herself was only trumped by the cold sensation of the Pacific Ocean splashing over her legs.

She was laying on the beach, clutching a surfboard. Her camera was around her neck. These two objects were the only things she recognized. She didn't recognize the beach she was on, the clothes she was wearing or even the feeling of suddenly being a god.

Maybe if the first few moments since she awoke had not been so filled with confusion she would have better understood the process that was happening to her soul. She was being carved open by extra-dimensional hands, and these hands were ever-so-gently cramming all of the Water in the universe into her. She felt like a latex balloon filling with ever more salt-water. She could feel fish swimming in her brain and could hear the whispers of the seven seas praising her name.

She should have been a little more appreciative of the situation she found herself in. She was a Noble.

But, you must forgive her that she had other things on her mind. Like, how was she supposed to get home? And who's bikini was this she was wearing. She remembered getting her film developed recently, but now her water-proof camera was clearly full to capacity. Where had she been? How long had she been out?

There was a beach-house in the distance with a light on. She had to call Abby, get her to pick her up. She felt weird. Weirder than normal when this sort of thing happened. She was still attributing her sensations to the blackout and not her own Commencement. For the moment, she was oblivious to the full extent of her transformation. All she wanted now was to know what was going on.

And somewhere, up in the clouds, people who knew were coming to tell her.

HIGH IN THE SKY, DEEP UNDERWATER

The Angel called Barakiel held court.

Before him were four Nobles, and one creature even His Grace couldn't quite classify.

But that was not the right number.

A month ago, the former Power of Water, brother to you all, was felled in combat against the dread Deceiver, Dantalion Fisk. It had been a very mournful thirty days in Atlantis in the Sky. The fishmen and merfolk had been swimming more dejectedly. The night-life had died down. Traffic on the Black Waterfall had slowed to a trickle. And throughout this time of grieving, Barakiel was nowhere to be found.

Until suddenly he arrived in the Chancel and demanded his Nobles meet him in the sunken palace where the Sovereign of Water had once resided. The angel sat atop his former Power's throne and looked at his loyal servants.

All except for Evelyn ... she was still a mystery.

For a while she had done quite a respectable job of filling the late Dominus Aquam's shoes. Now, she seemed like a part of the Familia, something the angel relished. Soon, as he had explained to her before, she would come to be a part of him. She didn't seem too eager, but he was sure she was just mimicking reluctance. She would feel better once she had become part of the whole.

"My Familia Potens!" decreed the Lord of All Society. His voice rung through the underwater palace as clear as thunder. "The time of mourning has passed. Though our newfound friend Miss Adams has done an exemplary performance filling the gaping hole in our family, her efforts are adequate but, as usual, imperfect. No, we cannot content ourselves with a mannequin overseeing the Oceans and Rivers of the World. No!"

He waved his hand, and an image of a girl waking by the seaside appeared before the Nobles like a warbling reflection on the water. She was pretty, but confused looking. She didn't seem to like waking up in the middle of the night, half submerged, using a surfboard as a pillow.

"She is in Los Angeles, the so called City of Angels," explained Barakiel with a patient sigh. "Canaan, take Evelyn with you and go down to the Prosaic World. There, your new sister awaits. Try and break her new existence to her easy. Explain her new role and function, and make sure she chooses an Anchor to bring with her when you show her home. She must be made ready to defend her Estate as quickly and as painlessly as possible. She is fragile, but her mind and soul are perfect for what I have made of her."

He looked to his other three nobles. "Blake, Thomas, Tifon. I would have you prepare the Keep to meet your new sister. Have the chancelfolk prepare a parade, a celebration and a feast. We must make our new little Princess of Water feel welcome in our home, for it shall be her home soon. Oh, this will be quite enjoyable. But then of course, we must return to our duties. Keep the frivolity to levels appropriate to the event. And make sure nothing goes wrong! We have only one chance to make a lasting first impression--"

He stopped, distracted.

The angel took a delicate finger and picked up his fishing line. He had a bite.

Instead of reeling it in, he just sat there, on the throne, holding it.

You had to be patient to catch what he was after.

After a few beats, the angel looked at the gathered Sovereigns and said; "Well, what's keeping you? Do you have any questions?"

Last edited:

Ax_

Validated User
HIGH IN THE SKY, DEEP UNDERWATER

The Angel called Barakiel held court.

Before him were four Nobles, and one creature even His Grace couldn't quite classify.

But that was not the right number.

A month ago, the former Power of Water, brother to you all, was felled in combat against the dread Deceiver, Dantalion Fisk. It had been a very mournful thirty days in Atlantis in the Sky. The fishmen and merfolk had been swimming more dejectedly. The night-life had died down. Traffic on the Black Waterfall had slowed to a trickle. And throughout this time of grieving, Barakiel was nowhere to be found.

Until suddenly he arrived in the Chancel and demanded his Nobles meet him in the sunken palace where the Sovereign of Water had once resided. The angel sat atop his former Power's throne and looked at his loyal servants.
Blake casually stretches, taking a deep breath of the night-cooled air.
"Hey, s'nice to see everyone in the same place for once."
The Power comments.

"Been way too long since last time."

"My Familia Potens!" decreed the Lord of All Society. His voice rung through the underwater palace as clear as thunder. "The time of mourning has passed. Though our newfound friend Miss Adams has done an exemplary performance filling the gaping hole in our family, her efforts are adequate but, as usual, imperfect. No, we cannot content ourselves with a mannequin overseeing the Oceans and Rivers of the World. No!"

He waved his hand, and an image of a girl waking by the seaside appeared before the Nobles like a warbling reflection on the water. She was pretty, but confused looking. She didn't seem to like waking up in the middle of the night, half submerged, using a surfboard as a pillow.
Blake also looks down at the image
"Ya know, I wonder how old she is - looks pretty confused about what happened, so she can't be too old."

He looked to his other three nobles. "Blake, Thomas, Tifon. I would have you prepare the Keep to meet your new sister. Have the chancelfolk prepare a parade, a celebration and a feast. We must make our new little Princess of Water feel welcome in our home, for it shall be her home soon. Oh, this will be quite enjoyable. But then of course, we must return to our duties. Keep the frivolity to levels appropriate to the event. And make sure nothing goes wrong! We have only one chance to make a lasting first impression--"
Blake grins
"Oh, yes."

All the doom and gloom had worn on the Duke of the Night, and this was just what the doctor ordered.
He snaps his fingers

"Dibs on getting to manage th' celebration!"
He calls out quickly.

He stopped, distracted.

The angel took a delicate finger and picked up his fishing line. He had a bite.

Instead of reeling it in, he just sat there, on the throne, holding it.

You had to be patient to catch what he was after.

After a few beats, the angel looked at the gathered Sovereigns and said; "Well, what's keeping you? Do you have any questions?"
Blake shrugs
"Nah, Barakiel, we've got this.
Don't worry, you'll see - Atlantis'll be full of happy faces in no time at all."
He assures.

He looks around
"Hey, Thomas, Tifon, let's get goin' - we've got a whole lot to work through"

JaneBond

Saint of Obscurity
Validated User
"Oh no, not again!"

Cora felt dizzy. She wiped the sand off of herself frowning. It had been so long since something like this had happened. She had almost begun to believe that her black outs had stopped, that the therapy had worked.

She looked around scared. How did she get on this beach, and why was her camera full? More importantly where could she find a phone? She needed to get home.

Nearly frantic she looked around for help and saw a house not to far down the beach. Holding her surf board in front of herself to block the cold wind, she takes off at top speed, thinking about what she could remember as she ran. Abby. Yes, the last thing she remembered was taking to Abby. She was at home, the Superbowl was coming on that night; she made dip.

But she didn't even remember who won.

Before she knew it she's at the front door knocking loudly, and becomes all too aware of the skimpy bikini she was in.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
There was nothing to say, so Canaan said it. He nodded his head and reached out to take Evelyn's hand in his. He didn't have to look to know that it would be there, waiting.

Who was he to explain godhood to anybody? He was terrible at being a god. Well, he could do miracles; he was actually kind of amazing at them. Sometimes he could lose himself for hours in the joy of filling the sky with storms and soaring through the air as one bolt of lightning among many. But he couldn't land without remembering his responsibilities. And who was he to fulfill responsibilities as big as that?

But he couldn't turn his back on them, either. He'd been raised better than that. And somewhere down there was a girl who was as confused and alone as he had been. There should have been someone to tell him what it meant to be Lightning. There hadn't been and still wasn't. He didn't know what it meant to be Water, but she wouldn't be alone.

The thunderbolt touched down, and returned upwards, carrying Canaan and Evelyn away and to the Earth.

Maerok

Validated User
Tifon smiles exuberantly, unsheathing his phone and tapping away at its screen.

"I can handle a party, boss. But of course nothing too rowdy. All things in balance, stay the course, wax on, wax off. Got it. Let's go then Blake."

Society's Power takes a step to follow the others and pauses. He mutters 'lantern fish' under his breath before nodding to himself in approval. The death of the last Power of Water hadn't fazed him all that much but Tifon realized the effect it had on Barakiel. When Dantalion slew his brother there had been many mixed emotions for him. They had a few disagreements that even the ever-accommodating Power of Society couldn't walk off. Tifon didn't cause his brother's death in any way but didn't slow it either.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Validated User
Tom Dill lights up, seemingly oblivious to Barakiel's faint frown. A ghost miracle dances on the end of his lighter, clearly defying their aquatic surroundings. Smoke from the cigarette gets tugged into weird whorls by the water currents all around them.

"I could do some heavy lifting here and there if you need me, but I've always been more for crashing parties than organising them." He frowns for a moment, thinking. "Hmmm. I'll handle security and order. Have we decided if we're inviting those Cammora creeps back? I'm not sure if we want our new sister getting exposed to that brand of evil just yet."

Maerok

Validated User
"I'm particularly worried about the Deceiver. Lowest form of unexistence. At least we know what to expect when it comes to the Cammora." Light and clouds of dust begin to shudder around his body as he manifests as a wormhole to his destination: his study built upon an island lost in the depths. "Is this a closed-Chancel affair?"

Delacroix

Validated User
Pursing his lips, Tom deliberates and finally nods. "I think we'd want her a little surer on her feet before exposing her to the Society of Flowers. Family event."

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
Before she knew it she's at the front door knocking loudly, and becomes all too aware of the skimpy bikini she was in.
On the other side of the door there was some muffled conversation. Then, suddenly a man in suit pants, a dress shirt rolled up to the elbows, no jacket or tie but a gold chain around his neck and a drooping cigarette in his mouth, opened the door. He was clearly trying to look casual, the sort of effort usually reserved for police at the door during a party. He held his hand behind his back as if he was holding something.

"Hello?" he said at first, before looking at Cora more closely. Then his demeanor changed. He relaxed somewhat, and pulled the handgun from behind his back and scratched his brow with the muzzle. "Dammit, Darla, do you have to freak me out like that? C'mon back in, you look cold and wet."

The inside of the beach house was beautiful but bare. Very little furniture of any sort. Except one chair that sort of freaked Cora out. It wasn't the upholstery that was the problem, it was what was in the chair. A young girl, her eyes filled with tears that ruined her mascara. Her hands and mouth were sealed with duct-tape. She seemed to have long ago given up struggling.

Seeing Cora, she decides it's time to start at it again. She begins tugging on her restraints to no avail.

"Still no ransom yet," said the weird man as if Cora knew him and the situation they were in. "But I'm sure her daddy-dearest will come through for us, right babe?"

Ax_

Validated User
Tifon smiles exuberantly, unsheathing his phone and tapping away at its screen.

"I can handle a party, boss. But of course nothing too rowdy. All things in balance, stay the course, wax on, wax off. Got it. Let's go then Blake."
"Way ahead of ya, Tifon."
Blake says, as he walks away.

Tom Dill lights up, seemingly oblivious to Barakiel's faint frown. A ghost miracle dances on the end of his lighter, clearly defying their aquatic surroundings. Smoke from the cigarette gets tugged into weird whorls by the water currents all around them.

"I could do some heavy lifting here and there if you need me, but I've always been more for crashing parties than organising them." He frowns for a moment, thinking. "Hmmm. I'll handle security and order. Have we decided if we're inviting those Cammora creeps back? I'm not sure if we want our new sister getting exposed to that brand of evil just yet."
Blake shrugs
"Hey, sure, that's fine, you'll get to take care of that."
He agrees.

"Ya don't need to much light to handle this whole security thing, right?"

Then he shrugs
"Why, you want to cut a deal with the Cammora for somethin'?"

"I'm particularly worried about the Deceiver. Lowest form of unexistence. At least we know what to expect when it comes to the Cammora." Light and clouds of dust begin to shudder around his body as he manifests as a wormhole to his destination: his study built upon an island lost in the depths.
Blake shrug
"Hey, as long as th' bastards don't try and put too much light around everywhere, I'm fine with 'em coming around to pay their respects."

"Is this a closed-Chancel affair?"
Blake shrugs
"Who'd ya want to invite, anyway?
Not like she's got many Noble friends who'd want to come see her, given she's new and everythin', and I'm not really likin' the idea of having to deal with giving therapy to normal people who've snapped by seeing Miracles.

Nah, let's keep it within the Chancel for now."

Last edited:
Top Bottom