• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Nobilis Recruitment and Setup

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
I am now recruiting for a game of Nobilis 3rd Edition.

First I would like three concepts from anyone interested. These should focus on what Estate you want to have, the core idea for your character and the what about them you would really find fun to play. Each concept should have enough interest behind it that you'd play them for a long time.

After the Familia is chosen, we'll do lifepaths, character sheets, Imperator and Chancel together. Lets motor through the setup and get playing as soon as possible!

Maerok

Validated User
Tifon Leer, Esquire; Power of Society
  • Estate! Society, and the paradox that society - which connects us - is defined by its exclusion.
  • Concept! I like the idea of inverting black holes as a metaphor. Gravity reaches out to all things across all distances and black holes are anything but empty but we associate it with a void and lifelessness. I've see characters where the fire dude does fire things in a fiery manner but this is foiling the bleakness of space against the role of an enNobled socialite. I've read about some cosmology and I'm studying a bit of quantum theory so I always like to mix science into fiction.

Tifon Leer was handcrafted from the heart of a collapsed star, a black hole - as mortal scholars would have it. Beneath the veils of myth down to the battlefields of the Spirit World the story is told as such: The Great Wyrm of Harumaph was in all manners a terrible beast, a product of Strategist experimentation to engineer a way to bypass the defenses of Earth. This creature was unleashed upon the Spirit World where it raged and fought against all involved in the war. As it torn holes through the barriers between Earth and beyond the Wyrm entangled itself within its own network as a lone Imperator baited it. With the beast captured it was slain outright by the god and its body was carved up to seal the breaches it had caused. While the tunnels were secured spiritually, on the physical end they became grand anomalies in the fabric of space and time.
  • Fun Facts! Tifon is a 'living' example of The Most Interesting Man in the World and the Old Spice Guy. His reputation precedes him (as an affliction/bond) and he's on every VIP list. Tifon Leer is every man and he is no man. And as part of his creation this notoriety extends even into the empty lands beyond the Tree in something a decrepit Parisian fortune teller told him was L'Affinité du Vide. His personal retinue is made up of the Deadbeats, mortals of once weak stature who despaired in absolute envy of him until their souls rotted out and the seedy rhythms of nightclubs took root.

Last edited:

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
I'd like three concepts though. That's a great first one.

Is Tifon the Wyrm of Harumaph (reborn, of sorts), or was he just forged from one of the anomalies that great beast's death knell created?

Like I said, great example of the sort of ideas you have. Now just give me two more like that and we're golden.

Insertname

Validated User
Okay, I've been interested in Nobilis for a while, but I just got around to actually getting it yesterday, so I'm stumbling through the rules and such as a moment (sample finished characters would have been useful, but I can't seem to find any).

I have an idea for a character, but I'm not entirely sure if it would work.
Basically, I'm thinking of a character whose Estate is Satanic Fervor, not any actual Satanic (or even anti-Christian) ideas, but the waves of fear that have associated dance, music (especially rock and roll and metal, which have embraced the image), gambling, Harry Potter, roleplaying games (character inspired in part by a current Thread in the Forums), etc., etc. to Satanism and witchcraft, something of the Red Scare in minor (but with a longer tradition).
The character him/herself would probably have formerly been a bit of a nerd, or maybe even a Bible thumper, suddenly chosen by a Devil of paranoia (or related concept) to spread this kind of paranoia and corruption, and has competing attitudes, because the power trip and sudden lack of moral urgency competes not with a profound desire to do good, but with a profound desire for people to not be idiots, which the power contradicts.

That's my first idea; I'll try and come up with more as I keep poking through the book.

Cryptico

Validated User
Gaal
Estate: Redemption

Concept: A very old entity The Redeemer, is a pact maker who wanders the world giving the chance to those who are bound by their sins and failures and seek redemption or absolution. Whether those sin be against Creation, their gods, or themselves. Gaal gives those who are worthy of being redeemed the power to serve their penance and last chance to attain their goals freeing themselves from whatever binds them.

Redemption is a very expensive business to conduct which has turned Gaal into a bit of a street entrepreneur of requiring very specific payments from his costumers. Sometimes the price can be a simple 5 silver coins....forged in Ancient Babylon ...on the day King Nebuchadnezzar regained his senses and ceased his tenure as a herd animal. Other sometimes the price is beyond the riches of earth and some times its the price is the aid against the enemies of Gaal and Creation itself . Those in need of him can often recognize him for what he is instead of what he should be, equal parts street salesman and Crawling Chaos of Maddening Angles. He is often cheerful, fond of dark humor and keeping a healthy social life among the Society of Flowers.

Ax_

Validated User
I see you've got a couple of players already - is there still room...?

Because I've got a couple of ideas, here - one of my favorites is the Power of the Night (focused on "Vastness", "The Hidden" and "Contemplation & wonder", a previously-regular guy going by the name of Blake, who came into power and absolutely loves every moment of it, to the point he can't really understand why anyone would not want to be a living god.
Loves to set up tricks, whenever he gets a good opportunity, so that he can set up situations where one secrets leads to a cascade of keeping things secret.
The stars sing to him, and he's got a crush on an Excrucian.

Another one is the Power of the Sun (focused on "Glory", "Victory" and "New beginnings"), who goes by the name of Alexander, who is set on taking over as much as he can - doesn't really matter what it is, if he sees it, he'd probably want it under his, or his Chancel's control, in some way.

Finally, I've also got the Power of Identity (focused on "Introspection", "Self-Definition" and "Understanding"), who has as many names as there are people in Creation.
He prefers to go by James, though - and he makes a real effort to always grab names whenever new ones come around, because he likes collections.

Last edited:

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
Dr. Marissa Maliki, Power of Curses

Curses are ill will given life and used to do harm to others. Dr. Maliki is a scientist, who fine-tunes her spite to produce precisely calibrated hexes. She is constantly writing down her grievances in a little black book and enumerating exactly how much they annoyed her. You are almost certainly on her list.

Canaan Reyes, Power of Lightning

Lightning shatters barriers and pours itself into you. As a result, it's impossible to have a moderate opinion about the Power of Lightning--once he gets close enough to touch you, you either love him or you hate him. Canaan has become a fairly shy guy for fear of what his powers can do to people, but he makes an excellent messenger.

Molly Skeffington, Power of Strategy

Strategy is designed to achieve a goal. Molly is an extremely ordinary housewife--okay, maybe her house has been moved into a Chancel and her husband was given a job doing something really weird for her Imperator, but she still cooks and cleans and does, you know, mom stuff. When her fellow Powers come to visit, however, they usually get invited down into the basement, where she keeps her collection of war games, and her detailed plans for the Valde Bellum. She's an invaluable source of advice and information, but you have to be prepared to eat a couple of dozen cookies.

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
Yeah, getting a lot of biters now. Lookin' good.

Yeah, don't worry about space. I'm not going with first come first serve. As long as you've given me THREE concepts (good on your Rand my man) you're eligible. I'm going to pick the Familia that seems most inspired together. No final cutoffs until that point!

Megazver

Validated User
Anyone remember Danny_K's (I think) teddy bear that was the power of REVENGE in one of the previous recruitment threads? I really liked that one.

Top Bottom