• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Nobilis] The deeper meaning [IC]

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
This was getting crowded. Now that he had blessed the majority of the group to regain their identities, he had to split off the main Scelto from the rest. He had basically picked at random, they were all equally him. Once he had, he put a hand behind the man's back and led him towards the corner store.

"Nope, pretty sure I still want to be me," Daryl said, trying to lead the one away from the many. "I mean, I'm not sure who me is but I have this driving feeling to keep going out there, seizing it by the coat-tails, reaching out for myself every day. It's a quest I'm on. Giving in to you, giving up to you ... that's my lose scenario. That's when I lose everything, even the me who doesn't know what he's looking for. Nope, not gonna happen. Not now, not ever. But that doesn't mean I don't miss you, Helto Scelto. Still prefer Cherry Coke? Or are you a Lime Pepsi guy now? How does a man with an infectious regard for identity reconcile his own preferences and opinions, eh?"

Spoiler: Show
I emulate the property of identity "separates one from others" in an attempt to cut Scelto's numbers down a bit. Once the unPreservationed Scelto is apart from the group they should have a better chance at re-establishing who they really are.

Cyrith

The Emerald Flame
Validated User
"Ugh, Great. I don't suppose you want to let me out to go look for him?"
"No, I don't suppose I do. Remember that last time? The football team? Plus knowing Daryl he's probably at his orphanage, and I really, really don't think he'd take it well if you showed up there."

"Oh! Great! How long can it take to build some cabins? Can't you just wave your hands around and do it in an instant?"
"Sorta. It's the planning that will take a while. I have to keep in mind all the different people and non-people that might need to use these places. Especially since it appears our first group of campers will be from the Evil World. That's gonna be one ugly looking cabin. Plus I need someone to watch my back once I start tossing around power."

"Yeah, well, he started it. He shouldn't have made it personal.

"Anyway, I keep trying to be nice to him but he just never believes me no matter what I do! What does Scelto have that I don't, huh?"
"From what I understand about Scelto, he doesn't really have anything. But then I've yet to actually meet him. And I'm well aware that Daryl started it, he get's touchy. He never had family growing up, I think he's still getting used to the idea."

"Thanks. You can have it if he doesn't want it."
"Sweet!"

Last edited:

fictionfan

Validated User
This was getting crowded. Now that he had blessed the majority of the group to regain their identities, he had to split off the main Scelto from the rest. He had basically picked at random, they were all equally him. Once he had, he put a hand behind the man's back and led him towards the corner store.

"Nope, pretty sure I still want to be me," Daryl said, trying to lead the one away from the many. "I mean, I'm not sure who me is but I have this driving feeling to keep going out there, seizing it by the coat-tails, reaching out for myself every day. It's a quest I'm on. Giving in to you, giving up to you ... that's my lose scenario. That's when I lose everything, even the me who doesn't know what he's looking for. Nope, not gonna happen. Not now, not ever. But that doesn't mean I don't miss you, Helto Scelto. Still prefer Cherry Coke? Or are you a Lime Pepsi guy now? How does a man with an infectious regard for identity reconcile his own preferences and opinions, eh?"

I emulate the property of identity "separates one from others" in an attempt to cut Scelto's numbers down a bit. Once the unPreservationed Scelto is apart from the group they should have a better chance at re-establishing who they really are.
The Scelto you picked shrugs. Then all the others walk away in different directions.

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
The Scelto you picked shrugs. Then all the others walk away in different directions.
Good, thought Daryl. Hopefully those others will find the strength to throw off the Provenance and become themselves once more. I hope I haven't just made things worse. Am I doing the right thing, buying this enemy of Creation a Coke? What if I'm not ...

"Keep the change," Daryl told the Korean grocer as he headed out the door with his two Cherry Cokes. Outside he opened one of the bottles and passed it to Scelto. In that moment, a bubbly beverage passing between hands, Noble of Earth and Destroyer of Worlds, Daryl felt his self-doubt rise like Godzilla out the water. What if he should be fighting Scelto, not sugaring him up, what if he was betraying reality and letting Scelto get one step closer to his eventual victory?

Try and look confident at least, Daryl told himself.

"So, you knew I wasn't going to join you, or rejoin you, or whatever terminology you prefer," the boy said taking a sip of his soda. "What's the real reason I have for this unexpected visit, Scelly?"

fictionfan

Validated User
"You might change your mind after an hour or so. I feel that many things are changing in creation. Or at least will in 40 minute and 45 seconds."

Last edited:

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
Daryl's eyes bulged out of their sockets. He spat out fizzy cherry-flavored sugar water on the New York City pavement.

"What the shit are you talking about, Scelto?"

He tried to look intimidating, tried to seem confident, comfortable in his position as the Lord of Identity. It failed. The fear on his face was clear to anyone who walked by. He was terrified of the implications of Scelto's words. It could mean anything.

He had to get a grip, had to keep control of this situation. Deceiver's think things seven steps ahead. This warning was probably part of the plan the Dark Riders were planning, and his reaction to it was all a part of it. Should he run back to his siblings and tell them what happened?

He didn't need to do that. He was already there.

~~

Meanwhile, back at the Chancel, a Daryl Hughes, separate but part of the greater whole, a Daryl Hughes like any other, approached the clearing where Eilowyn and Brad were talking about him. He didn't quite know what to say. He was always a bit slow to act in these situations, a little nervous he might make things worse.

"Uh, guys ..." he interrupted. It was true he had marched off to his old stomping grounds to blow off some steam, but there were always a few spare Daryls kicking around the Chancel. "I think we might have some sort of problem. Some sort of Excrucian problem. In about forty minutes ..."

He looked in the distance to where another him was still with Scelto, and worried.

Cyrith

The Emerald Flame
Validated User
Meanwhile, back at the Chancel, a Daryl Hughes, separate but part of the greater whole, a Daryl Hughes like any other, approached the clearing where Eilowyn and Brad were talking about him. He didn't quite know what to say. He was always a bit slow to act in these situations, a little nervous he might make things worse.

"Uh, guys ..." he interrupted. It was true he had marched off to his old stomping grounds to blow off some steam, but there were always a few spare Daryls kicking around the Chancel. "I think we might have some sort of problem. Some sort of Excrucian problem. In about forty minutes ..."

He looked in the distance to where another him was still with Scelto, and worried.
Brad was slightly grateful for the emergence of Daryl. It meant he wouldn't have to try to think up ways to not have to have dinner with Eilonwey, without being mean about it. This would be so much easier if she wasn't a psuedo-kid. He could be mean without feeling too bad about it then. Still, it was hard to be too grateful, as at first Brad assumed he was about to be in the middle of a fight again. Not that the real news was any better.

"Well, that's more time than we get before most crap hitting the fan moments. Any idea's what? I just talked to Camp, and it doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger or upheaval. Where else are you right now, by the way?"

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
"Hell's Kitchen," the Daryl Hughes in the Chancel responded. "I don't know, Scelto of the Provenance says things in Creation are going to seriously change at that time. Change enough I might consider giving up my ... uh ... questy thingy."

He looks at the tin soldier.

"Hey Eilonwey. You don't know anything about this, like, with those creepy starry eyed peepers you got?" He took a minute before the guilt almost killed him. "I'm sorry about all that stuff I said earlier. I get like that sometimes and I ... I ... well, I should take out my problems on Scelto rather than you."

Baffle Mint

Eastern Bloc Robot Cowboy
Validated User
"Hell's Kitchen," the Daryl Hughes in the Chancel responded. "I don't know, Scelto of the Provenance says things in Creation are going to seriously change at that time. Change enough I might consider giving up my ... uh ... questy thingy."

He looks at the tin soldier.

"Hey Eilonwey. You don't know anything about this, like, with those creepy starry eyed peepers you got?" He took a minute before the guilt almost killed him. "I'm sorry about all that stuff I said earlier. I get like that sometimes and I ... I ... well, I should take out my problems on Scelto rather than you."
Eilonwey just looks at him for a moment. It always feels strange when Nobilis apologize to her... not that it happens very often. A number of potential responses played themselves out in her head as she tried to decide the optimum way to respond; unfortunately inside her head they all got tangled up and this came out instead:

"Yeah- Uh, I mean, well, I baked you a pie." And she thrusts the pie at him.

"To sort of... yeah. Well, we both said... I hope you like rhubarb."

"Oh, yeah, sure, I can look at things for you, no problem!"

She decided to address the simpler part of things. Handing her pie to Daryl, she makes some exagerated stretching movements and then looks, wide-eyed, out into nothing.

Persona 3 Miracle to give herself the Affliction "Eilonwey Tane acts out the fantasies of Eilonwey Tane" to act out the fantasy of being so useful to Daryl that he forgives her for what she said earlier. She's also "Performs Her Role better than anybody", her role being to spy on the Excrucians for Daryl and Brad. Hopefully this will enhance her eyes enough for her to be able to see something interesting!

Serpents

Validated User
Joseph awarded himself a moment of reprieve. His divination was not as thorough as he might have hoped... but he did discover how his estate would be breeched. He stood up from his tea garden, and took to pacing the grass. Some planetary anomaly was not about to muck up Reflections! HE was the Marquis around here! At this affirmation, Joseph turned to bask in the majesty of his estate. For the first time, he realized he was completely alone... holed up in the most secluded area of his realm. Solitude never bothered one so introspective as Reflections, but he realized how foolish he had been. All that effort he spent preventing today from happening should have been spent preparing for it. Now, he would have to slap something together at the last moment. And, of course, there was the matter of his mortal self and mortal family. In short, it was all too much to bear at once.

In spite of himself, Joseph sent out a prayer to his beloved. "Oh, Ananda! If only you were here, I would bury myself in your arms. But no, no. You must be busy with the Locust Court... My Familia, then. I have always been there for them. Surely, they would come to my aid, in my time of need?"

With that, Joseph focused his mind on Daryl Hughes, the Power of Identity. He swam through the endless sea of echoes, shadows, reflections, until he was able to latch on to something definitively Daryl. He knocked upon his true shadow for safe passage.

"...Daryl? Daryl, It's Joseph. I'm sorry to disturb your reflection like this, but I'm desperate, and I'm tied up in the Astral Plane. My estate will be open to invasion in half an hour. I am trying to bunker things down over here, but I need someone to check up on my mortal self and his family. If you are not too busy, would you mind? Oh, and, if you could... get the others to help? With my family, or the astral plane? Easier said than done, I know. I tagged you first because of your ability to be, well, everywhere at once. I'd appreciate it... You know I'm good for the favor~

It's alright if you are all too busy."

It really wasn't alright for Joseph, but he couldn't worry about that now. He left his line of communication open for a reply, but began working on more important things: dreamshaping wards to protect against invasion!

For my first trick, I would like to perform a Lesser Incarnation to live in the real Daryl's shadow... with one strike, from my bond "I must protect my mortal self." Daryl can easily dismiss it if he doesn't want to talk to him.

Other than that, I would like Joseph to start working on a Greater Preservation to reinforce the reflection of all the gateways that would be opening (mirrors). Joseph's intention is to make sure that these mirrors do NOT allow things through them, but continue to repel/reflect things instead. This costs Joseph 2 dmp (he has 4 left). I would like to invoke his bond, "I spread through the world by touch," for 2 strike. My justification is that these dopplegangers are trying to spread his estate without him / his touch.

Also... I just realized, Joseph has the affliction: "my body is the gateway to the astral realm." If things keep getting through these new openings... he could be in for a LOT of pain :eek: On the plus side, at least he will have a ton of MP. But... he also has the affliction: "what you to do me, you do to yourself." So... if these things keep entering his realm, and it hurts him, they are hurting themselves. Either way, it looks like I'll have a lot of MP soon lol.

Final note: damn, I need a better strike giving bond :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom