• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Nobilis] The deeper meaning [IC]

fictionfan

Validated User
One of the fantasies in Eilonwey's imagination is Scelto. She imagines that it puts a finger to it's lips.

Then Scelto says "Eilonwey dear, I always loved playing with you. I am very sorry to see you in this terrible situation. I'm working to get you out of this, but I need your help. I have a plan. A big plan you, know the one. Encourage them make sure that they all give their all to stopping me. Tell them all about the plans we have worked on together. I want them chasing their tails."
Spoiler: Show

Lesser incarnation of Scelto

Last edited:

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
The Daryl in Hell's Kitchen thought maybe he could distract Scelto here, and that would maybe-- Wait. There are a dozen Sceltos at any moment, and this one surely isn't the really real for real one. Distracting this guy with Cherry Coke was not going to help.

"If you're gonna be like that Scelto, I'm outta here," he said, giving his old acquaintance the finger on his way out. Classic Daryl Hughes, screw you guys, I'm going home, kind of deal.

After a few steps, his shadow started speaking to him. He listened to everything Joseph had to say and nodded, looking back over his shoulder at Scelto sipping a soda, before he kept running back towards the Chancel entrance.

Back with the Daryl that was already at the Chancel, after accepting the pie he too looked down at his shadow, for to be in Daryl's shadow was to be in all of Daryl's shadows. Not sure if they could all hear Joseph through it like him, Daryl turned to Eilonwey and Brad and said; "Well, Joseph narrowed it down for us. His Estate is going to be vulnerable to attack on the Astral Plane in half an hour. He's also kind of worried about his mortal self, and family. Aw jeez ... this is going to be one of those for real end of the world scenarios that we gotta fend off with every ounce of our wits and luck, isn't it?"

He slumped down against a tree and bonked his head against it repeatedly. "I hate these. I don't know if I'm cut out for these. Holy crap I don't want this to happen."

Xanoxt

Validated User

Sorry, about being a bit late to the start of the game. I have almost no internet access during friday evening to sunday whenever I return to city, till I fix the wireless router), also for some reason rpg.net has banned the subnet of the provider that gets me internet there. I'll have to take steps to fix that, I guess.
Since I am in Chancel, I should really start with Lesser Divination, to learn what my estate knows about the stuff that is happening, but that is work, and work can wait until after my morning cup of tea.
The cards telling me to do a spread can't wait though, so... Treasure 6 Miracle to learn what the cards want to tell me about those things. I usually pull however many cards are required, and then have a conversation with their spirits. And since it is morning, I have some spare cups ready for them.

Our little chancel is about camping. The main theme is summer camps, with kids and everything, but when you camp out in the nearby woods, and it is always summer does that count? Well, for Michael it does. His notion of home, is a place where he can park his car, a semi-permanently erected tent leanto, that is both food preparation and dining area. Currently Michael is sitting at the plastic table, and doing a card spread. He never does a reading without cards telling him it is important that he does, and they did, so he's shuffling them and drinking his morning tea. Several cups of hot tea (green, no sugar) are also waiting for whoever is going to turn up during a reading.
While it is perhaps not morning, but he always goes with "morning is this time between you waking up and coming fully awake". Last night he was at some party somewhere in Spain, and returned "home" pretty late.

fictionfan

Validated User
The Daryl in Hell's Kitchen thought maybe he could distract Scelto here, and that would maybe-- Wait. There are a dozen Sceltos at any moment, and this one surely isn't the really real for real one. Distracting this guy with Cherry Coke was not going to help.

"If you're gonna be like that Scelto, I'm outta here," he said, giving his old acquaintance the finger on his way out. Classic Daryl Hughes, screw you guys, I'm going home, kind of deal.

After a few steps, his shadow started speaking to him. He listened to everything Joseph had to say and nodded, looking back over his shoulder at Scelto sipping a soda, before he kept running back towards the Chancel entrance.

Back with the Daryl that was already at the Chancel, after accepting the pie he too looked down at his shadow, for to be in Daryl's shadow was to be in all of Daryl's shadows. Not sure if they could all hear Joseph through it like him, Daryl turned to Eilonwey and Brad and said; "Well, Joseph narrowed it down for us. His Estate is going to be vulnerable to attack on the Astral Plane in half an hour. He's also kind of worried about his mortal self, and family. Aw jeez ... this is going to be one of those for real end of the world scenarios that we gotta fend off with every ounce of our wits and luck, isn't it?"

He slumped down against a tree and bonked his head against it repeatedly. "I hate these. I don't know if I'm cut out for these. Holy crap I don't want this to happen."
As Daeyl walks away Scelto smirks and says "you can run, but you can't hide."

Cyrith

The Emerald Flame
Validated User
Lesser emulation of "Summer Camp inspires enthusiasm 0 points with Chancel discount."

Brad drops into a squat with the comfortableness most men drop into an easy chair. He moves around until he can look Daryl in the eye, while also putting his hand in between the tree and Daryl's head.

"Daryl, come on now, you know you don't mean that. You just got us the info we needed, you can be your own cavalry if need be, and you're just a little stressed. We got this. We always got this. We have thirty minutes to get into position. You can get into the astral plain probably better than anyone. There has to be a Daryl Hughes who can slip in with out freaking out the family. You probably have more talent than any of the rest of us, certainly you have more options. If you aren't cut out for this, we should all give up right now. And I'm certainly not ready to give up fighting! Are you!"

Baffle Mint

Eastern Bloc Robot Cowboy
Validated User
One of the fantasies in Eilonwey's imagination is Scelto. She imagines that it puts a finger to it's lips.

Then Scelto says "Eilonwey dear, I always loved playing with you. I am very sorry to see you in this terrible situation. I'm working to get you out of this, but I need your help. I have a plan. A big plan you, know the one. Encourage them make sure that they all give their all to stopping me. Tell them all about the plans we have worked on together. I want them chasing their tails."

Lesser incarnation of Scelto
"Oh, yeah, sure, great timing" Eilonwey thinks at Scelto. "You couldn't have let me know an hour ago when I was still really mad at Daryl?"

It never stopped annoying Eilonwey. She was called a Deceiver, and to everybody around her that meant that she must be able to think up amazing lies on the fly, and that she must lie all the time.

It's just a name! She didn't ask to be called a Deceiver! It doesn't mean she can just come up with crazy schemes Scelto might be working just off the top of her head!

Still, it was good to know she had allies in the ranks of the Excrucians, and not simply enemies working for Lexiarchos Caducine.

Or did she? What if this was all just a trap, a way to get her away from the admitted protection of her Noble minders, a way to get her alone somewhere where the powerful Strategist could destroy her once and for all?

And what if he's honest but Caducine shows up anyway? She's no match for a whole Familia ensconced in their Chancel, but she could mop the floor with two Deceivers...

Stupid Lexi. Stupid Daryl. Stupid war.

She comes back to the "real" world and looks at all the shadows and illusions surrounding her. The trees, the grass, the air, the warmth of the sun, Daryl, all these things are flat and dull to her, nothing more than an ugly coat of green paint slapped over a beautiful antique. And then there's Brad, kneeling there, real, real like the Lands Beyond are real, a reminder of something good and beautiful and long-lost to Creation.

"Well," she says out loud to those gathered, "I couldn't see as much as I wanted to; apparently Scelto's subtle enough to mostly escape my gaze. Honestly I'm not sure he's behind this; I think he might just be the pawn of somebody bigger, or maybe he's working on some kind of strict time-table. Either way, he seems to want to mess with the connection between mirrors and the things they represent. Looking in the mirror and not knowing himself is one of Scelto's things, right? I think something about looking in mirrors has been really bothering him, lately.

"I don't know if that helps, or not, sorry. I mean, I'm more concrete than he is, you know? I have to be in a specific place or time, but he doesn't, so I can't really tell you to attack his secret island lair or anything."

Keeping up the Lesser Emulation "Eilonwey Tane performs her role better than anybody" to try to get them to believe me, with 3 Strike from the Bond "I Crave Freedom".

Cyrith

The Emerald Flame
Validated User
"Do any of the Excrutians have a secret island lair? Could it actually be that easy? Sorry, not really the time for this. What could Scelto do to mirrors to damage Reflections? I guess if enough of the world were Scelto then mirrors would be useless to look upon the self. Of course at the point were enough of the world is Scelto for that to happen, we'd have bigger problems."

Brad stands back up and stretches a calve. It more reflex, he's getting back to that time of year where he hides his divinity as a matter of course.

"Alright, well, I know some things we actually can do. Get some protection on Joseph Joseph- you know, the human one? And contact the others. And seeing as camp needed a PA system anyway..."

Brad makes a uprising motion with his hands that is half stage flourish and up slide poles with mounted loudspeakers, twisting off and around to the camp grounds. They look like they've stood among the trees and sparse buildings for twenty years, the speakers just a touch outdated. The main microphone ends up in Brad's hand.

"Attention dear siblings, Would Michael and Attaris II please report to the Archery range for some quality family crisis planning? Dinner tonight will be fish sticks."

Lesser creation of Summer Camp, still free, yay chancel discount.

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
As Daryl walks away Scelto smirks and says "you can run, but you can't hide."
"C'mon dude!" protests the Sovereign youth. "Not cool!"

He stopped in his tracks. Like most things Scelto said, it was a complete lie as much as it was a moral truth. He could certainly run and hide, and there was a chance he could escape Scelto for now. But in the end the battle between them would continue to mount. One day they would have to face each other with everything they had, and one of them would fall to the other.

"So, you want to drop any more hints about this master plan of yours? You don't think its ... uh ... actually going to work. Do you?"

He said that last line like he was honestly asking.

Brad drops into a squat with the comfortableness most men drop into an easy chair. He moves around until he can look Daryl in the eye, while also putting his hand in between the tree and Daryl's head.

"Daryl, come on now, you know you don't mean that. You just got us the info we needed, you can be your own cavalry if need be, and you're just a little stressed. We got this. We always got this. We have thirty minutes to get into position. You can get into the astral plain probably better than anyone. There has to be a Daryl Hughes who can slip in with out freaking out the family. You probably have more talent than any of the rest of us, certainly you have more options. If you aren't cut out for this, we should all give up right now. And I'm certainly not ready to give up fighting! Are you!"
Daryl looked up at his brother Brad with the hard, hurt stare of a damaged little boy. He was an awkward teenager now, barely a man before he had to suddenly contend with being a god. He wasn't anywhere near the person he was going to be, right now he was just lost and afraid.

"What am I supposed to do? Tell Joe's family that they're ninjas? Like ..." he wiped his nose a little. "Make them up some badass identities they can wear to keep them safe? And how do you get to the Astral Plane? I don't friggin know ... what makes you think I can do it easier? Is it something about my Estate I don't understand? Wow, big surprise, another goddamn obvious thing about identity, whoosh, right over my head. JESUS CHRIST!"

He marched over to Eilonwey. "Why can't you douchebags leave us alone! It's hard enough having to freakin' live in this world without you guys trying to disprove it and make it all disappear in a puff of shitty logic! If the world's a lie than just let us have it and stop trying to break it just cause you can!"

He throws the pie at Eilonwey. And then he marches off.

Daryl does his own Emulation. A Greater Emulation of Daryl Hughes, manifesting the truth that Daryl Hughes "has crippling self doubt". It's a big miracle, I don't quite now how it manifests, but it definitely undoes the inspiring confidence and totally explains him being a total meanie to Eilonwey.

Last edited:

fictionfan

Validated User
"C'mon dude!" protests the Sovereign youth. "Not cool!"

He stopped in his tracks. Like most things Scelto said, it was a complete lie as much as it was a moral truth. He could certainly run and hide, and there was a chance he could escape Scelto for now. But in the end the battle between them would continue to mount. One day they would have to face each other with everything they had, and one of them would fall to the other.

"So, you want to drop any more hints about this master plan of yours? You don't think its ... uh ... actually going to work. Do you?"

He said that last line like he was honestly asking.
"That would be telling, but do run along and try and stop me."

Xanoxt

Validated User
"Attention dear siblings, Would Michael and Attaris II please report to the Archery range for some quality family crisis planning? Dinner tonight will be fish sticks."
As a PA pole springs from the ground nearby, Michael has an idea, and uses the system with a microphone of his own. "While I am sure we could use some practice with a bow, I suggest you come right right outside the main camping area, near the lake. You know the place, thats where I park my car. Crisis planning is much better with hot tea."

Besides, he has already spread the cards out, and is now only waiting for their archetypes to manifest.

"I'll probably be needing more chairs though. Especially if there is going to be more then one Daryl."

While noone has arrived, Michael goes to bring more of those neat folding chairs from his car.

Thing about tarot is that they are perhaps less about fate magic (but that also, in a way), and more about archetypes, and various things like Elements, Planets, Zodiac Signs, and Tree of Life (aka Tree of Sephiroth) and stuff like that. Major arcana represent pathways on the tree. Minor arcana represent zodiacal decans in four different elemental worlds. Each of the lot has something of a patron spirit. They are also used in the method of Loci to remember difficult stuff.

Top Bottom