• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Non-Evil transhumanists in media

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
Transhumanists almost always turn out to be evil in movies, books, videogames, tv, etc... I've heard so many variations of "They play god and take away our humanity!!!!"

What is some good media where the transhumanists are sympathetic?

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Major and the rest oif Sestion 9?

Lenny for "Empower" was a bit creppy but take in account his final fate was non-evil.

taschoene

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Paul McAuley's Quiet War series hinges on the conflict between genetic purist ecologist Earthers (dominated by Brazil) and the gene modded and transhuman Outers. The Outers are mostly the good guys, though it's never unambiguous.

Last edited:

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
Transhumanists almost always turn out to be evil in movies, books, videogames, tv, etc... I've heard so many variations of "They play god and take away our humanity!!!!"

What is some good media where the transhumanists are sympathetic?
Well, it depends on how you define transhumanism.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri has singularity-esque transhumanism (and transfungalism) as the main victory condition.

In Babylon 5, the future evolution of humanity into glowy energy beings in the distant future seems to be a perfectly OK thing. And when a psychic transcendence that seems similar happens to Jason Ironheart, it's presented as an amazing thing, and he seems benevolent after becoming a glowy energy being. (And alien glowing energy beings seem OK for the most part.)

A number of superheroes are post-human entities with vastly greater capabilities. (Though, some stories have the people who can deal with shooting beams out of their eyes, flying through space, etc. suddenly start becoming weird and alien once given a new set of powers.)

Last edited:

risu5_waffles

Whiskey-Fueled Crank
Validated User
The sparkly nanobot cloud folks in Transmetropolitan seemed like pretty decent folks, or at least the one guy we meet did. Has been ages since i've read it, though.

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
The webcomic A Miracle of Science has a trans-human civilization on Mars with a over-arching hive-mind that all its members are in contact with. Both the collective hivemind and the people who are part of it are pretty nice.

ETA: Dang, ninja'ed.

Last edited:

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
The webcomic Dresden Codak is very pro-transhumanism. Of all the protagonist's problems, having become a full-conversion cyborg definitely isn't anything she minds.

Molleh

Validated User
Perter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy has tranhumanist elements. It presents a fairly neutral view of transhumanism, in my opinion, as it is not a defining characteristic in whether or not you are a "good" person. Any more detail may provide spoilers, so I will stop there.

Top Bottom