• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Non-Evil transhumanists in media

DoctorDogGirl

Banned
The Omar are too, and frankly, despite being ultracapitalist/darwinist hive minded Russians, they're still much more benevolent than Invisible War's JC.

I'd stick with Sarif, though. Despite a lot of flaws, he generally tries to be a decent guy, and by the standards of cyberpunk CEOs, he's a saint.
Ehhh, the Omar were playing everyone off against each other to destroy the world I'm pretty sure and rule the ashes but that's ambiguous I suppose.

and yes, David Sarif is perhaps the first decent CEO in DECADES of geek media.

One who actually may argue capitalism can produce Lawful Good folk.

Well...Chaotic Good. Let's be honest.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Pretty much everyone in The Quantum Thief is transhuman and some of them were fairly nice.
This is, somewhat, a place where transhuman vs. transhumanist is very important.

Because Jean le Flambeur, and nearly every other person in the series, is the former but not really the latter. The Sobernost are the one faction actively interested in transhumanism rather than simply composed of transhumans, I'd suggest...and they're the evil empire.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Lucy. For all the problems the movie had, she's clearly pro-transhuman, and her answer to the "I am play god!" argument is perfect.

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is, somewhat, a place where transhuman vs. transhumanist is very important.

Because Jean le Flambeur, and nearly every other person in the series, is the former but not really the latter. The Sobernost are the one faction actively interested in transhumanism rather than simply composed of transhumans, I'd suggest...and they're the evil empire.
The Zoku are pretty clearly transhumanist too. The other societies (Oubliette, Oortians, Sirr) not so much.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Hm. In Worm, Dragon and Defiant clearly have no problem with enhancing humans with machinery*, and Dragon is probably the noblest, most sympathetic character in the entire story.

*Granted, this is done on the individual scale rather than be offered as a general service, but that's because there are issues with the mass-production of ultra-technology in the setting (which might be on its way to resolution, considering).

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
The Zoku are pretty clearly transhumanist too. The other societies (Oubliette, Oortians, Sirr) not so much.
Do you think?

Their norm is certainly a long way from baseline humanity, but that's true of the other societies too. Oubliette is some crazy stuff, and the Oortians live in ways that nothing anywhere near modern Earth life could exist. (...Sirr is just bizarre, but some of its denizens might not be.) The Zoku, from what I can recall, don't have any particular interest in changing, they just have a status quo where bodies are changed as casually as clothes and semi-hive-minded guilds are the primary societal organization.

Morganite

The Propagation
Validated User
I immediately thought of Marc Stiegler's "The Gentle Seduction" (the short story appearing in a collection published under the same name), where one woman (and in the background, a bunch of other people) goes from ordinary human to transcendent superbeing in a series of casual bite-sized steps.

Though while I'd call that a pro-transhumanism story, I'm not sure how well it fits the "having transhumanists" part, since the point was that nothing involved was all that radical in the process of doing it.

-Morgan.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Surprised no one has mentioned the Major from Ghost in the Shell. That whole setting is about Transhumanism (I think. I admit Ghost In the Shell is more than a little over my head).

Top Bottom