💀 Necro Nordic THQ has bought the Kingdom of Amalur IP

TheGrog

Validated User
I've heard it was actually pretty good. The problem is that the studio originally wanted to make an MMO, and by a management team that had some names but apparently not the project management experience. So they spent all their money, plus some state loans, and had an 'oh shit, we gotta make a product' moment. The game was better than it really had any right to be, but not the incredible success it needed to be.

NinjaPaladin

Validated User
When did Amalur come out again? Was it before or after Arkham Asylum?

The reason I ask is that I played both later on, and AA’s combat worked for me, and with both KoA and Dragon’s Dogma, I felt like I was having to learn new controls that weren’t as intuitive. In the same way that shooters have settled mostly on “left trigger aims, right trigger fires,” the Batman games seemed for me to establish “standard action combat.” Because I knew them, I could pick up Shadow of Mordor or Spider-Man and slip into the action easily. Stuff that has a different layout is a point of friction for me — not impossible to overcome, but something that makes the on-ramp harder.

(That’s just me, though, and even that isn’t complete. I figure Arkham controls are fighting with Soulsborne controls for “who gets to be the standard layout for most action games.”)

Sjogre

Validated User
When did Amalur come out again? Was it before or after Arkham Asylum?

The reason I ask is that I played both later on, and AA’s combat worked for me, and with both KoA and Dragon’s Dogma, I felt like I was having to learn new controls that weren’t as intuitive. In the same way that shooters have settled mostly on “left trigger aims, right trigger fires,” the Batman games seemed for me to establish “standard action combat.” Because I knew them, I could pick up Shadow of Mordor or Spider-Man and slip into the action easily. Stuff that has a different layout is a point of friction for me — not impossible to overcome, but something that makes the on-ramp harder.

(That’s just me, though, and even that isn’t complete. I figure Arkham controls are fighting with Soulsborne controls for “who gets to be the standard layout for most action games.”)
Asylum came out in 2009, but it's controls aren't anything like standard. It's pseudo-rhythm game controls were invented wholesale and are kinda specific with how Arkham combat works. Shadow of Mordor is the only big name game I can think of that actually follows the Arkham combat closely.

After playing the recent Spider-Man game, I'm surprised by the gameplay comparisons; it's mostly a standard action game that plays like older Spider-Man games rather than having much gameplay taken from the Arkham series.

That said, Amalur's controls are pretty normal for a third-person action game, and closer to standard than the Arkham series. I wouldn't call them less intuitive, though, just different. If you got the hang of Spider-Man, you can probably get the hang of more conventional action games just fine.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Asylum came out in 2009, but it's controls aren't anything like standard. It's pseudo-rhythm game controls were invented wholesale and are kinda specific with how Arkham combat works. Shadow of Mordor is the only big name game I can think of that actually follows the Arkham combat closely.
Mad Max had the same, and every Assassin's Creed game I played too.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mad Max had the same, and every Assassin's Creed game I played too.
Assasins Creed, parry the kill system goes back to very first one published in 2007.
It doesn't really feature the free flow movement that central Arkhman combat (you point a direction press and attack and Batman will leap towards enemies in the given direction. The Assasins would need to walk towards the target and press attack, or more likely wait for that enemy to attack).
A direct predecessor of the Arkham combat would be the Prince of Persia trilogy (Sand of Time, Warrior Within, Twin Thrones), which did feature similar free flow movement.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What has that got to do with the game itself, or were you trying to be funny?

Moderator Text:

No one is under any obligation to ignore that THQ Nordic chose to align themselves with a well-known forum for white supremacists.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Assasins Creed, parry the kill system goes back to very first one published in 2007.
It doesn't really feature the free flow movement that central Arkhman combat (you point a direction press and attack and Batman will leap towards enemies in the given direction. The Assasins would need to walk towards the target and press attack, or more likely wait for that enemy to attack).
A direct predecessor of the Arkham combat would be the Prince of Persia trilogy (Sand of Time, Warrior Within, Twin Thrones), which did feature similar free flow movement.
For me, the core of Arkham/AC combat is the choreographed nature where you're surrounded by eight mooks but only one, or very rarely two ever attack you, the rest wait their turn.

Top Bottom