• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Northern Con UK] Furnace - who's going?

Angry Argrath

Retired User
Furnace is taking place on 28th/29th Oct '06 in ten days time. Venue looks nice according to the photos and quite a few games running.

Who's going to it?
Will it be worth it?

I am not sure if I am going to it yet but for £20 it sounds like it might be okay.

|AA

Last edited:

SJE

Bibliomancer
Validated User
I'm going- never been to Sheffield, and thought "Why not?"

SJE

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User
I'm going- never been to Sheffield, and thought "Why not?"
Sheffield is a fantastic place to visit. The superTram is the way to travel to the venue if you are comming up by train.

The venue is excellent. It keeps the castle theme of many a good con by taking place in a converted army barracks. The bar has those wonderful leather chairs that old retired majors sit in drinking brandy by the fire mummbling about their past.
"I was in India! Mummble Mummble. Shot the blighter in the leg you know. Mummble Mummble. I was verry, very Drunk! " :D

The venue was an old gaolhouse and has four proper cells that are ideal for a group of gamers to play in. Very atmospheric. :)

As you guess I am helping organise this event following my stint with Continuum and I am running some HeroQuest games over the course of the weekend. ;)

SJE

Bibliomancer
Validated User
I'm coming up on the train. What supertram should i take and where does it stop?

Thx.

SJE

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User
I'm coming up on the train. What supertram should i take and where does it stop?
A quick, comfortable and cheap way to get to the Garrison Hotel is to travel by tram, or Supertram as it is known in Sheffield. There is a major stop at Sheffield railway station, instead of going out of the station via the main entrance go th opposite way 'up the hill a bit' to get to the SuperTram stop. It is clearly signposted.

Go to this stop and you will want to catch the Blue route from Halfway to Malin Bridge, getting off at the Hillsborough stop. The fare will cost about £1.80 or so from the railway station and the trams seem to run every twenty minutesor so.

From the Hillsborough stop you want to enter the Barracks Arcade [visible by the Castle-like crenulations], go all the way through to the Supermarket Morrisons car park, cross the car park via the walkway, turn left at the petrol Station and the Garrison Hotel is directly in front of you. You will see the sign for the Jail House Restaurant, and RPG Furnace is in the upstairs room.
Full details of routes and fares on the Supertram can be found here:
http://www.supertram.com/

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
I was at Sheffield for the Nationals and I don't remember hearing about this.

And it clashes with Gaelcon, where most of my con-travelling associates are heading.

Good luck with it, and sorry I won't be there.

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User
I was at Sheffield for the Nationals and I don't remember hearing about this.

And it clashes with Gaelcon, where most of my con-travelling associates are heading.

Good luck with it, and sorry I won't be there.
It has been advertised on my [almost]-complete list of RPG Conventions here.

Flyers have been sent out to many RPG shops in nothern England and Scotland as well plus there was a big push at Continuum.

I went to Gaelcon last year and I wasn't impressed as you can read from my report.

Hopefully we can make this an annual event. :D

andreww

Soul sucking Lawyer
Validated User
I am considering going as I am partially based in Sheffield. I am also a complete Glorantha addict and Heroquest fan.

Sheffield has a very large gamer population based around the University and a lot of ex student gamers who have stayed in the city. Unfortunately Furnace clashes with their charity 25 hour gaming convention which I am also tempted to go to.

Evilgaz

Validated User
I'm going to be there like Yogi bear.

Got three games I'm running, The Red Star using Savage Worlds, an introductory GODLIKE adventure and something nice for Delta Green set in WWII using the One Role Engine.

I'm all geared up for Hot Game Action and now worrying that I won't have all the prep done...

I've met some of the delegates at previous Cons (that's converntions, not scams) and I'm convinced it'll be Ace.

T-8

Gaz (Evil)

Top Bottom