• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Not Quite A WIW] I Am Watching Dark Shadows And I Love It

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
Current Events in Collinwood:

It's still 1795! (still taking these a bit slowly) Barnabas and Angelique are married! But Angelique is haunted by the ghost of Jeremiah! Because they rushed the marriage, Joshua has disinherited Barnabas, but Joshua's wife Naomi gave the newlyweds the Old House. But the main problem is that vengeful ghost, who is wisely directing his ire to the witch who caused his death instead of the man who shot him.

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
It just occurred to me: is Barnabas a vampire in 1795 or is this when he was still alive?
He is not yet a vampire, but will be by the end of 1795.

Human Barnabas is different, especially at first. He's friendly and optimistic and honorable. Then after Josette runs off with Jeremiah he's heartbroken and confused and angry. He marries Angelique out of duress, and helps hide Victoria Winters from his aunt and the witch hunter.

He also rocks some 1795 fashion and looks badass with a pair of pistols.

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
Current Events in Collinwood!

It's 1795 and Barnabas Collins is undead undead undead!

They really nailed the Barnabas origin story. He sat in his bed dying for too many episodes, and that bat puppet continues to be the second worse bat I've ever seen (behind only the original Suspiria), but all in all this was really good Dark Shadows.

Barnabas found out his new bride Angelique is the witch who ruined his life by causing Josette and Jeremiah to fall in love with each other (which led to Barnabas killing Jeremiah in a duel), and he straight up shot her! Barnabas Two Pistols Collins at it again! In what she thought was her dying breath, Angelique cursed Barnabas so that he'd never die and that anyone who loved him would die! Then a terrible bat puppet flew in and attacked Barnabas and he spent like 4 episodes on his death bed, which got a bit old.

But then he finally died and holy shit everything is fantastic. Fearful that the townsfolk would panic about Barnabas's death to the Plague, Joshua concocted the lie that Barnabas went away to England on business and is definitely not dead. He bought off Angelique to leave town. But first, Angelique had one important thing to do.

Joshua entombed Barnabas in the secret room in the mausoleum (Joshua doesn't even know yet that Barnabas is a vampire, this is just his go to plan for "My son married some harlot and then died of a mysterious disease), and Angelique went out to stake him before he could rise. (Also she used the word "vampire", for the first time ever on Dark Shadows.)

But she was too late! Barnabas awoke and confronted her before choking her to death in the secret room!

Newly awakened Barnabas is great. He's evil, and powerful, and pissed the fuck off, and full of entirely reasonable anger at the woman who ruined his life and cursed him with eternal undeath. He's a dick and it's really entertaining. He asks Angelique if she loves him, and then taunts her for being the first victim of her own curse just before he chokes her to death.

Then Barnabas agreed to take on his former manservant/friend and Angelique's former unwilling servant Ben Stokes to be his Willie 1.0.

There are still around 50 episodes left of 1795 storyline, so I'm looking forward to all the doom and tragedy that awaits. From the 1960s era episodes, we know Sarah dies of some illness (I really hope Barnabas does not eat her), and Josette flees Barnabas and jumps off Widows' Hill, and eventually Joshua chains up Barnabas's coffin and locks him in the secret room in the mausoleum for 170 years. I'm guessing Barnabas's mother Naomi might also die from the curse, and I guess Joshua survives it. Finding out his son is a vampire will I guess kill that parental spark of love in him.

All in all, great stuff.

Amethyst

Validated User
This 1795 storyline is probably the basis for all of the time travel and flashback nonsense that One Life To Live was known for.

Top Bottom