[Nova Praxis] Strands of Fate does Sci-fi

Hmmm, have you ever heard the term "Luddite"?
Of course I have. Not wanting a thing to be an integral part of a game is not at all the same as being ignorant of the concept of said thing.

I don't want to play a transhuman game which has that as an integral part of the rules. If there are a few pages in the setting about various Luddite factions, that makes sense, and I don't mind.

Well, first off, why shouldn't there be a transhumanist setting aimed at technophobes? Or rather, at those reasonably terrified at the implications of new technology?
I haven't combed the thread fully, but since you seem to be offering counterarguments, perhaps you could quote the original claim that no such settings should ever be created?

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
No offence meant if that is how it sounded, I truly don't know how prevalent the use of 'Luddite' is outside of my own geek circle. :eek:

I don't want to play a transhuman game which has that as an integral part of the rules. If there are a few pages in the setting about various Luddite factions, that makes sense, and I don't mind.
I guess this is one of those "there are no game police who will kick down your door for playing it wrong" situations to me.

There are no rules that force you not to create fully unique and powerful transhuman. It is part of the default setting that that character would be breaking the law (the Humanity Preservation Act). But, player characters and NPC's break the 'law' of the setting all the time in RPGs.

If you like Fate and want a set of hard(ish) science fiction rules for Fate then NP might fit (even if you don't use the default setting).

But, hey, if it's not for you, it's not for you. :)

Mitch

Mechalus

Validated User
Why kill Earth? Lots of reasons. But here are the top three.

1. It supports the theme that advanced technology is neither good nor evil. It is a tool. Advanced technology made Earth uninhabitable, but also paved the way to immortality and created a society that (to many people) is a utopia. It is potential, but potential that must be guided.

2. It provides a reason to get off the planet. And it provides an opportunity to start over with a clean slate. The loss of Earth also resulted in the dissolution of all of Earth's governments (and cultures to a lesser extent). Not weighed down by the anchors of the past, humanity is able to rebuild society in a new way. It frees humanity to change rapidly, in many ways.

3. It introduced an element of mystery, and an opportunity to face an overwhelming foe. Why did the technophage run rampant? What is it doing now? How did it seemingly achieve sentience? Can the planet be saved? Should we even try?

Side Note: Early in development of Nova Praxis, Earth still existed. But I was having trouble connecting the timeline. How do you get from where we are now to where I want the human race to be in 2140? Killing the planet provided that surge of innovation and change. Having read Eclipse Phase, I saw how they used the Titans. So I wanted to avoid a technological cataclysm as much as possible. I went over several different scenarios. Nuclear war, viral outbreak, global warming, etc. For a long time it was an asteroid impact. But in the end I realized the potential a technological catalyst had for supporting one of the setting's primary themes. So I decided to go with what worked best for the setting. Yes, its similar to Eclipse Phase in some ways (who borrowed the idea from the Matrix, who borrowed it from Terminator, etc.). But I really feel like it was the best way to go. And I think I was able to spin it in a way that ended up making it our own.

tonpa

Just Tonpa...
Validated User
Side Note: Early in development of Nova Praxis, Earth still existed. But I was having trouble connecting the timeline. How do you get from where we are now to where I want the human race to be in 2140? Killing the planet provided that surge of innovation and change. Having read Eclipse Phase, I saw how they used the Titans. So I wanted to avoid a technological cataclysm as much as possible. I went over several different scenarios. Nuclear war, viral outbreak, global warming, etc. For a long time it was an asteroid impact. But in the end I realized the potential a technological catalyst had for supporting one of the setting's primary themes. So I decided to go with what worked best for the setting. Yes, its similar to Eclipse Phase in some ways (who borrowed the idea from the Matrix, who borrowed it from Terminator, etc.). But I really feel like it was the best way to go. And I think I was able to spin it in a way that ended up making it our own.
Personally I think that its best to use the option that feels right, not to force different things. Good stuff is good, even if used multiple times. :)

Neongelion

Validated User
(Hope four months isn't too bad of a necro)

So I've been eagerly anticipating the release of Nova Praxis, and I've been wondering: how easy would it be to use the rules from NP for the setting of Eclipse Phase? I've been trying to find some decent Strands of FATE hacks for EP's wonderful setting, but no luck so far.

Also, did I mention I can't wait for this damn game?

Gee4orce

Validated User
Why would you need to hack SoF to do EP - it comes 'out of the box' ready to run it. Take a look at the various rules and different Morphs in the Transhumanity section.

Top Bottom