[NSFW][Lewd][Not for little children][Let's Read] Book of Erotic Fantasy

Monsieur Meuble

Furniture warlord
Validated User
If you liked my previous Let's Read of the Monster Manual for D&D 3.5, you will have... a variety of opinions regarding this one, as it will be rather different in form and subject.

So, yes, as vaguely promised in the afore-mentioned thread, I am about to review one of the most infamous and scandalous RPG supplement of its time...

Book of Erotic Fantasy, game supplement for a *non-specific system* and compatible with a *certain* game that can't be named because it couldn't survive being associated with such a LEWD product.

This book, in its original antediluvian year of publishing, 2003, was a terrible scandal. "By daring to talk about such a subject, free speech will be curtailed by the government ! ", "it will cause a worse backslash than the satanic panic and RPGs will be destroyed to the last ! ", "D&D is tainted for ever and will now only be played by sexual deviants committing blasphemous carnal acts in gimp suits ! ", "sex is a puerile object left to little children, real adults pretend to be CHASTE knight elves ! ", "intimacy and social relations, in my genocide simulator ? Not on my watch ! ", "how can anyone dare to write a whole chart about cross-breeding ? That's an unhealthy level of obsession that ruins my 600 pages of descriptions of pole-arms and several book of tables of gory critical hits ! ", "Nooo, I won't be able to enjoy playing elf games ever again if I know that someone else does it in a sexual way ! "...

Well, since then, we have had between 2 and 6 new editions of Dungeon and Dragon, the hobby is as alive as it always was ("on the brink of death and oblivion" "as it always was"), the great familial TV series of the decade was about a world of fantasy, dragons, snow elves, incest, adultery and full frontal nudity, Oglaf is considered a must-read of webcomics while being about sexuality in D&Dland, a major anime series was "harem comedy with the Monster Manual" and was unanimously saluted, oh, and there have been a whole line of D20 supplements about simulating fucked up guro hentai and tentacle rape that doesn't shy of saying "D20 system" right on the cover, and that flew under everyone's radar until recently.
And there even was a whole paragraph about how you can play a character of any sex, gender and orientation in the very core books of Dungeons and Dragons, and Jack Chick still died before being able to have all RPG burnt on the Capitol !

So, what I'm trying to say, it's "chill out and let's see what's all the hubbub was about". And as we do so, let's see what is usable or fuXX0red, what is imaginative or not, what can put in your normal D&D campaign and what is best left to Chuck Tingle, and let's try to do some world-building and derivative work about what is proposed !

If, by extraordinary, you didn't bought a physical copy when they were in store, and want to follow this Let's Read with me, you can legally buy a digital copy on DriveThruRPG.

From this point on, I will assume that you have been amply warned, that you are currently closing this thread and considering an other thread of interest if you aren't of the legal age to view discussion of adult matters in your country of origin, that you won't browse this thread in an environment in which the evocation of primary and secondary sexual organs is considered a major transgression, that you will not be shocked if the subject of intimate practices comes in the discussion and that you will consider superfluous to drive-by post "baaaah, you are all perverts for reading such a thing and I think lowly of you."

Regarding illustrations taken from the book and eventually posted there as examples, considering that they often feature photographies of people in various states of undress, in accord with the rules of this board, they will be tastefully censored on the naughty bits.
Still... if there's a moderator passing around (and who am I kidding, the whole black-smiley gang is monitoring the thread ! ), can I be authorized to eventually *link* to an uncensored reproduction of said illustrations, considering the plural layers of "you have been freakin' warned ! " that it would imply or is it still a big "NOOOOPE !" ?

With all this said, let's delve, and ask the question...

Well, let's not delve too deep first. The book itself. You have seen the cover a bit above this text, featuring both the unmistakable "locked-up mysterious medieval grimoire" aesthetics of D&D3.X main books AND the photography of a lady dressed and Photoshopped (hopefully) as a... succubus, I guess ? Well, the colour-scheme and feathered wings are closer to those of an eyrinie than those of a succubus, but the 3rd edition eyrinie is specifically NOT about sex... so...

Anyway, let's note that, yes, the inside illustration will all follow this example of being more-or-less photographies of sexy LARPers, both males and females. They are all done by the photographer HYPNOX who still has a site dating from this epoch and that I won't link here until I have had an eventual official green-light on linking to naughty content.

But those are colours photographies, the whole book is coloured on glossy paper, bound with an hard-cover... there is real production value, notably considering its time-period and subject : those standards have been brought up into RPG books by D&D 3rd edition, and it was the absolute biggest dog in the fight by several orders of magnitude then !

As mentioned in my prologue, there is no mention of the D20 system or of Dungeons and Dragons anywhere, only "compliant with the OGL" and "compatible with the world's best selling Fantasy Roleplaying Game". Consider this : when this book was announced, it was such an affront to all that Dungeons and Dragons stood for that they updated the SRD to mention that it could only apply to publications that met public standards of decency, just so this book couldn't be tied-up with D&D ! So, yeah, they just mentioned the OGL that didn't have such a mention. And the "standard of decency" business has been taken out of the 3.5 SRD nowadays anyway... Probably so that the Book of Vile Darkness and its nipple-clamps of exquisite pain could be tied to the D20 system and D&D...

Also, the book is published by Valar Press, which did only this one (the rights now belong to Arthaus that belongs to White Wolf that belongs to Paradox...) and is 192 pages long.

FINALLY let's open said book... a page of title and credits, with seven lines of "models" and three of "playtesters" (hey, that's three more than a lot of Pathfinder products, if I understand right) (and 11 lines of Special Thanks). Two pages of table of contents, revealing that we will go through seven chapters and two appendices, and there is even a list of charts and tables and the pages thereof, which is rather professional.
Then, a pages of Introduction. In which we are warned that this is Adult Content, that the point of this supplement is to allow people, readers and players to have fun, that a wide variety of lifestyle choices are exposed including... celibacy (and, indeed, we will meet rules for characters defined by their chastity, modesty and celibacy), and warning us that a lot of ideas come from playtesters. "We're not the pervy ones, we swear ! ". Then, a surface description of the seven chapters...

And next time, we will go on with the first of such chapters : Love, sex & roleplaying.

Last edited:

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was disappointed by the art in this one, but it's been so long that I remember very little of the actual rules content. Looking forward to this.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I bought some time back (back when it still contained Phil and Dixie, but some time after it was published because I bought it PDF and I didn't even knew those existed till quite a few years after 2003) because I was expecting I was expecting something racey, and I got.............a rather bland book, from what I remember. Not somehow bad in the sense of thinking all of it was stupid, just nothing exciting (in both ways).

Airos

Actual tiger
Validated User
Yeah, I have a physical copy of this one. The store clerk certainly gave me a look when I took it up to the counter to pay, but to hell with him. I'm an adult, if I want some T&A in my D&D, then the T&A is going to be fucking magical.

My conclusions are that it is the superior product to Encyclopedia Arcana: Nymphology, and probably on-par content wise with The Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

And, yes, I have actually ran games using content from all three books. They were fine.

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
Hey that's the one with Seduce Undead! That spell was so much better when it was 1d6 damage per round, then they nerfed it to 1d6 damage per orgasm.

You know how when confronted with, well anything to do with D&D, D&D players immediately start using it to work out how to destroy D&D? Well I worked out the correct combination of spells, feats and classes from this book and Secret College of Necromancy (and maybe another D&D sex book, which one had the multiple orgasm feat in it? Anyway...) to make the ultimate vampire hunter build: The Necroromancer!

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Heh, I actually made a PC Necromancer for a game once using the BOVD feats, she was a total edgelord too (had a background of abuse by her family, was creepy and possibly non binary (before I knew that was a thing, plus she got a magical lightning gun during the course of her adventures and decided to keep it). One of the feats she had was Lichloved (which is exactly what you think it is)

Funnily enough because of all the BOVD feats I took she had a huge intimidation skill, so she was by and large the scariest member of our party.

Anyways, I always felt like sex rules were superfluous to DnD, and only existed to laugh at in a immature giggle snort sort of way (much like the third edition BOVD; Never was a book so undeserving of a Mature content rating. There was nothing mature about it). Although I think it might have some uses if you have games that are bent around having a lot of sex or sex themed monsters (A reminder that Pathfinder has A) An evil Fertility Goddess whose entire portfolio involves getting knocked up and giving birth to horrible abominations, and B) an ancient cilivization built around the seven deadly sins, with the Runelord of Lust having a massive palace built in the pyramid the royal castle of the city of Korvosa was built over. So if you got the right kind of party you can totally run one of those kind of adventures and go full on NC 17 with it).

Top Bottom