[Numenera] W.T.F., Monte!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Embolism

Validated User
So I was kind of linking forward to Numenera, because far future fantasy is something I'm working on, and I was kind of interested in what ideas Monte Cook might bring to the table.

...until this showed up on a post in G+:

NIBOVIAN WIFE 3 (9) These biological constructs appear to be beautiful female humans. Their only function, however, is to seduce male humans so they can get pregnant. Pregnancy in a Nibovian wife opens a transdimensional rift inside its womb, giving an ultraterrestrial (such as an abykos, an erynth grask or any ultraterrestrial creature the GM wishes) access to this level of existence. The time required for “gestation,” which is actually the aligning of phase changes to create the rift, ranges from ten minutes to nine months. When the ultraterrestrial creature is “born,” the Nibovian wife nurtures it as if it were a child, even though it clearly is not. During this time, the construct defends the “child” fiercely, using incredible strength and resilience. The young creature develops quickly, and its first and only compulsion is to hunt down and kill its “father.” Once it does so, it is free to do as it pleases in the world. Nibovian wives are likely the cause of many ultraterrestrials currently in the Ninth World. Motive: Seduction for reproduction, defense of its “offspring” Environment: Anywhere Health: 9 Damage Inflicted: 5 points Armor: 2 Movement: Short Modifications: Resists mental effects as level 4. Combat: Nibovian wives attack with their fists, which pummel with a strength that betrays their inhuman nature. Their flesh is as resilient as armor. Interaction: As long as you give Nibovian wives what they want, they are kind and eager to please. They can never be convinced to abandon their imperative (reproducing and nurturing their terrible child), but on other issues, they can be perfectly reasonable. Use: A strange encounter with Nibovian wives can introduce the concept of otherdimensional beings in a horrific way. The ancients explored other dimensions and interacted with ultraterrestrials, but in the Ninth World, such beings are thought of as demons. Loot: The inner workings of a Nibovian wife can provide 1d6 cyphers to someone trained in scavenging them.
...wow. You know, just when I start thinking the hobby is coming out of the 1970s, shit like this happens. I am so not interested in this game now.

dbm

Validated User
This is basically a succubus with science fantasy trappings. What's the problem with that?

reason

Validated User
That's a science fantasy riff on something that shows up in many ancient myths. A blend of the monstrous/spirit/goddess bride who is or is not what she seems at first, the monstrous child (e.g. minotaur) bestowed upon the world by a god's curse or other divine agency, the changeling, a little Lovecraft (who was himself drawing on older stuff), fear of the other and the unknown, and so forth. It's not new, nor is it terrible in the way that you seem to think it is.

A game is a story, and this particular fragment of story has been and is ever being retold. It is in some way important by virtue of that fact, so perhaps some thought on why that is the case might be more helpful than the standard direction this sort of thread takes.

Reason
Principia Infecta

MineEyes

Retired User
I agree, It's just a Succubus by another name.
I can see where the whole "only purpose is to seduce and get pregnant" would set off alarms, but I don't really think that's really called for in this case.

Pony Knight

Retired User
Also consider that the entire purpose of this construct is to exploit/kill men. It seems like a mix between a succubus/black widow spider to me.

Supplanter

Retired User
You guys realize that "It's a Succubus by another name" and "this trope has a long history in fable and fiction" don't amount to refutations of concerns that sexism and even misogyny infect the design of Nibovian Wives, right?

Jim

Last edited:

Little Blessed Villain

Solo Social Justice Brute
Validated User
Why is the succubus/seductress monster indicative of sexism?

Orcs and goblins aren't indicative of racism anymore, even though the whole concept of weird-skinned barbarian cultures raiding from "Over There" clearly stems from that fear of foreigners.

Jaeger

That someone better
Banned
Validated User
I find it hilarious that the entry for one creature in a book of hundreds of pages can "ruin" a game for someone to the point where they would refuse to buy it.

Does this stuff really happen?? Are people like this for real? Absolutely mind bottleing...

Last edited:

JustJo

Mother Knows Best
Staff member
RPGnet Member
It's pretty bad.

"Women exist just to trap men into having babies who will then destroy their hitherto awesome lives" is a trope that needs to just die.

Single Minded Riot

Social Justice Factotum
Validated User
Orcs and goblins aren't indicative of racism anymore, even though the whole concept of weird-skinned barbarian cultures raiding from "Over There" clearly stems from that fear of foreigners.
Well that rather depends on how one runs orcs and goblins, no?

EDIT: As for the topic of the thread, it doesn't bother me, but I'm not going to tell anyone who's bothered by this that they are wrong to be bothered by it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom