IC [NWoD] Parks and Requiem

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I don't usually eat people, Melissa -- that wretched woman simply prompted me to act more aggressively than normal. I'll make sure Zalgo sends her a nice bouquet of nightmares for the wonderful interaction. As for Cross Street, blockage or overflow is part of my purview, so I'll go check it out later. Probably just another corpse clogging the pipes..."

He gets up, stretches, pulls another energy drink out of his personal mini-fridge as he yawns. "Might as well go to the meeting room to hash all this out before everything goes straight to the Inferno. Someone snag the other members of our erstwhile crew on the way. I'm busy having a date with a Monster."

He then proceeds to shotgun the entire can in under six seconds as he walks out.

smilingbandit2

The man of the future! The Machine-Man!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Like a bull in a china shop, the honorable "Jumpin'" John Ehrlenmeyer, Mayor of Shermer, stampedes into the big boardroom.

He's got that look in his eyes that says 'I have a great idea.' It's a look that you see in your nightmares. He's also wearing a pair of plastic buffalo horns.

He grasps Melissa's hands, clearly delighted. "Mel, you're here, great!" He then notices the other. "Oh, hi kids! Sitsitsit, I have something amazing to show you!"

He circles the table with nervous energy as people sit down. "So I was at the Pig and Whistle, knocking back a few, and I struck up a conversation with a guy. We were just shootin' the shit, and then outta nowhere this guy drops the best idea in the world on me."

His expression gets sly - or at least what passes for sly on Mayor Ehrlenmeyer's face.

"I played it cool, naturally. Didn't spit out my beer or anything. I finish up, pay the tab, and fuckin' jet over here to write everything down before I lost my train of thought."

"Kids, this one's gonna put us on the map. This one will make Shermer an A-list destination 'burb - bigger than Brookfield, bigger than Naperville!"

He pauses for effect, then something from his lapel pocket. It's... an Arby's napkin?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...."

He slaps the napkin on the table. There's a line of block text and an 8th grader's drawing of a buffalo.

"Buffaloland!"
He looks to the group for affirmation of his genius.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"So... what? An amusement park? That's just ridiculous. We've got nowhere to build such a thing, on top of dealing with all the requirements necessary to supply it. Just installing and reworking the water pipes alone would be a logistical armageddon."

Magnus doesn't really know the thought of "tact" or "diplomacy", and Karen's little visit left him with a sour taste in all nine hundred of his inner mouths. He's a goddamn hammer, and like the tool in question proceeds to smash the Mayor's thought bubble idea just like the proverbial china.

Pureluck

Lucky Charm
Validated User
Roger smiled and gave a little shrug as he dug a notepad and pen out of his briefcase and set them on the table. He looked superficially ready to take notes and contribute to the process even though he was far from it. "It's going fine I hope yours is..." he started to say when the mayor came in to give his spiel.

He listened to the speech and glanced at the napkin and then back at the mayor. He opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again. Finally his breain registered a fatal question that he would certainly regret asking but it was too late, his mouth was opening and out it poured. "I think it would help if you walked us through it in a little more detail, would you mind doing that?" he said.

He had an idea of what he was about to hear and silently prayed to the Goddess that he was wrong. His hand picked up his pen and started scrawling out some of his favorite warding runes onto the notepad.

smilingbandit2

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"So... what? An amusement park? That's just ridiculous. We've got nowhere to build such a thing, on top of dealing with all the requirements necessary to supply it. Just installing and reworking the water pipes alone would be a logistical armageddon."

Magnus doesn't really know the thought of "tact" or "diplomacy", and Karen's little visit left him with a sour taste in all nine hundred of his inner mouths. He's a goddamn hammer, and like the tool in question proceeds to smash the Mayor's thought bubble idea just like the proverbial china.
"Not an amusement park! An educational nature preserve. Ecological. Upscale. Classy." The Mayor paces the table, clearly ready to defend his case unto death. "And we've already got everything we need! There's a huge herd of buffalo at OmniLab. They're just sitting around, eating the grass and making buffalo chips, on 600 acres of decommissioned particle accelerator."

"We take all those freeloading buffalo, slap a nature preserve on all that empty land and BINGO BANGO! Buffaloland!"

"Think of the revenue! Every school within 100 miles will bring busloads of children to learn about the prairie and shit! Every soccer mom will want to jog around the place, pushing a stroller full of infants through a cavalcade of gift shops and snack shacks."

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Edony scurried around the table like a mouse (figuratively) sliding mugs full of drinks in front of the important people, trying not to get in the way.

For Roger, the aforementioned Brew Moon.

For Nicholas, black coffee. In fact the k-cup just says "Black Coffee" on the label.

For the Mayor, Eiffel Tower French Roast with three splendas and hazelnut creamer.

Magnus brought his own energy drink. She wonders if there are energy drink k-cups.

Melissa doesn't drink... coffee.

Her already wide eyes go even wider as the mayor unleashes his genius into the world. She flinches a bit as Magnus growls his annoyance, moving off to the side of the room and seeking to look as unobtrusive as possible.

OOC: I'm going to make that same joke in every smilingbandit2 game for the rest of my life.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Not an amusement park! An educational nature preserve. Ecological. Upscale. Classy." The Mayor paces the table, clearly ready to defend his case unto death. "And we've already got everything we need! There's a huge herd of buffalo at OmniLab. They're just sitting around, eating the grass and making buffalo chips, on 600 acres of decommissioned particle accelerator."

"We take all those freeloading buffalo, slap a nature preserve on all that empty land and BINGO BANGO! Buffaloland!"

"Think of the revenue! Every school within 100 miles will bring busloads of children to learn about the prairie and shit! Every soccer mom will want to jog around the place, pushing a stroller full of infants through a cavalcade of gift shops and snack shacks."
"That's still stupid!" Magnus exclaims, slamming his fist into the table and causing it to creak dangerously. "The buffalo are out there for a reason. They're being studied, analyzed, kept for resources! Not to mention that the water tanks located there are basically filled with minerals and seeping animal waste. You'll be poisoning everyone!"

He crosses his arms in agitation, actively trying to avoid striking the table again.

"Plus, you haven't considered the major issue, Mayor. There's already a potential impending catastrophe concerning the 2020 budget. Where would we get the money for such a project?"

smilingbandit2

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"That's still stupid!" Magnus exclaims, slamming his fist into the table and causing it to creak dangerously. "The buffalo are out there for a reason. They're being studied, analyzed, kept for resources! Not to mention that the water tanks located there are basically filled with minerals and seeping animal waste. You'll be poisoning everyone!"

He crosses his arms in agitation, actively trying to avoid striking the table again.

"Plus, you haven't considered the major issue, Mayor. There's already a potential impending catastrophe concerning the 2020 budget. Where would we get the money for such a project?"
"Mags, buddy, this is gonna fix the budget. People already drive up there at all hours to look at the buffalo, and the infrastructure's all going to pot."

"Stupid CERN. We coulda figured out how to get more juice into that collider. I mean, with computers these days..." Ehrlenmeyer is lost in what could have been for a moment, but quickly snaps to.

"I'm not talking about building Disneyland Mags. We put up a parking lot on the edge, nice visitor's center/gift shop, spruce up the foottrails, improve the fencing. Hell, half that stuff we have to do anyway just to keep the whole place from eroding away! The park rangers office in the woods is a shithole clear across town! They spend half their time watching after the buffalo anyway - why not give them a nice updated space and turn the old dump back into woodland? We do it right and everybody wins!"

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While the others are reacting, Melissa is thinking.

"Now, now, let's not dismiss this out of hand. We're clearly going to have to issue some bonds to cover the shortfall, so maybe something that could give a long-term ROI on its own would sweeten the pot..."

More like, she'll include it in the budget proposal so it's an easy cut, and might save the rest.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
"I like buffalo," Edony says in a quiet voice from the edge of the room, doodling on a notepaid rather than taking notes.

Top Bottom