Obligatory introductory blog post

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Since all blogs are supposed to begin with an introductory post, I thought I'd share my introduction to the world of RPGs. I actually came to them as a solo experience.

This was the mid-1980s. I was about 8 or 9 and sick with something. My parents asked me if they could get something to cheer me up while I was sick, and I asked for a Choose Your Own Adventure novel. They made a stop to either the Waldenbooks or B. Dalton's in the mall, and instead of a CYOA, they came home with the player's guide from Frank Menzter's Basic Rules. (To a grownup who didn't care about these things, I'm sure they both seemed to be the exact same thing.) Which was frickin' amazing if you were expecting a Choose Your Own Adventure. It not only had two choose your own adventure paths -- the famous tutorial with poor doomed Aleena, but another much more pick-your-options one. Then if had rules to create these amazing freeform adventures.

While I had found a group of kids to play with, a few years later when I got a week off from school to recover from an adenoidectomy I spent a lot of time playing Ghost of Lion Castle.

I wonder if so many early game modules that get accused of railroading came from a CYOA mentality, where it was perfectly acceptable to have only one viable option to continue even though it looked like there were many choices. I had one DM who was heavily influenced by Infocom games, where it's also fine to have a single way to solve a difficult puzzle.

Now, like blogs everywhere, we'll see if I ever make a second post, or if I'm just testing this software. :)

Edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to tag blogs. How will everybody know this contains references to Waldenbooks, since I'm sure everyone wants to discuss a books store that went out of business six years ago. :p Or (testing) do I just add hashtags?

#CYOA #Waldenbooks (not really)

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay. You don't see tags when editing. Only after it's posted. Weird.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rather than doing a triple edit, I see that the tag options are clearly visible when you go to make a new post. I have no idea how I missed that.

Top Bottom