• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dice Hound

D12 never gets any love
This question goes out to everyone who still plays the older versions of D&D. This is not to create some sort of flame war or compare versions, or whatever. But more in a general sense of RPGs and isn't really limited to just D&D even though I've focused on early D&D.

With the plethora of games out there, what is it that makes you still stick with the older versions? There's only a couple of reasons I can think of or maybe a combination of a couple.

1. Availability. It's what we have, so we play it

2. Atmosphere. The art, setting, writing...wonderful.

4. Mechanics. We know them, and they work for us; no need to learn new mechanics

5. It's still fun, so why try something new

6. Nostalgia

I'd like to get other folks' opinions. And please, please don't compare or bring up other versions as doing something better. They may start innocent enough, but almost always end in flames. Please just answer with the reason why you still play the older versions.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
7. Everything works with everything else. Once you pick your favorite set of rules, you can steal your favorite bits from any of the other versions with only minor tweaks.

8. Pick up and run. You can create a character and start playing in just a couple minutes.

9. It's a lingua franca. There are exceptions, but the majority of the people in this hobby played old school D&D in their formative years and already know the basics.

10. It's full of holes. OD&D in particular and AD&D to a lesser degree are incomplete or inconsistent or have mutually-incompatible subsystems. Creating your own solutions is fun and empowering.

Ace

Banned
Why I play older games is they bring home the fun better than newer editions do.

ANTImunchkin

Uber Dad
Validated User
Well I still play AD&D2e, but I want to get back hold of the RC book again. The reasons aren't terribly complicated. I like'em. Have fun playing them. The 2e stuff is already paid for, and the RC book was too( leant it to a feller before I moved to AK).

I've played plenty of other RPGs, and don't concentrate on the old versions of D&D more than any other game. I just don't discount an RPG because it's out of print, or out of fashion.

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
I don't really have anything to add to Sac's list. I play B/X because I think it's fun. Two 64-page books give me everything I need to run D&D, so I'm not bogged down in rules. Since I'm not old enough to have been playing it when it was the current edition of BD&D, it helps that it wasn't that expensive at all to get into, unlike some out-of-print D&D stuff.

I like a lot of the things common to older editions of D&D, such as descending AC, variable XP costs for level-up, and Vancian magic. B/X has all of those and is really easy to run. Most imporantly, a new character can be rolled up very quickly. This is important, since a) B/X combat is pretty brutal and b) I like brutal combat, which might be a big part of the reason why I like B/X.

Age of Fable

+2 pants of comfyness.
Validated User
I don't still play old D&D, I only recently began playing it (actually running it). So I might not be who you're asking. However:

• It's very easy to write for.
  • There's a very active/productive online fan-community.
  • You don't have to buy any books.
  • There's no company that owns it, so discussing things online feels more...meaningful I guess. People get quite frustrated about what Wizards has done / should do, whereas with old D&D the people putting out products are mostly just individual hobbyists, so you can 'do it right' yourself and it's not quixotic.
  • At least at first level, PCs are very fragile compared to other RPGs.

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
I'm playing BECMI RC for a lot of the reasons mentioned. It's fun & stream-lined, I've always wanted 9th level "name level!" characters doing the domain thing, and we add all the bits from 3e like flanking or charging we like.

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
[*]There's no company that owns it, so discussing things online feels more...meaningful I guess. People get quite frustrated about what Wizards has done / should do, whereas with old D&D the people putting out products are mostly just individual hobbyists, so you can 'do it right' yourself and it's not quixotic.
One thing that I like about playing a "dead" game is that I don't have to worry about some splatbook being released and all the players wanting to play some "cool" new class that's going to break my game.

Ahnirades

Dragon in the Ampersand
Validated User
Sac2 and Sleeper's reasons are my own, plus I find BX/Labyrinth Lord easy to houserule without breaking anything. Working with less complex systems means I can anticipate the effects of my tinkering pretty accurately.

Top Bottom