• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Of decanters and rowboats

Gogmagog

Validated User
Decanter of Endless water:If the stopper is removed from this ordinary-looking flask and a command word spoken, an amount of fresh or salt water pours out. Separate command words determine the type of water as well as the volume and velocity.

“Stream” pours out 1 gallon per round.
“Fountain” produces a 5-foot-long stream at 5 gallons per round.
“Geyser” produces a 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per round.
The geyser effect exerts considerable pressure, requiring the holder to make a DC 12 Strength check to avoid being knocked down each round the effect is maintained. In addition, the powerful force of the geyser deals 1d4 points of damage per round to a creature that is subjected to it. The geyser can only affect one target per round, but the user can direct the beam of water without needing to make an attack role to strike the target since the geyser’s constant flow allows for ample opportunity to aim. Creatures with the fire subtype take 2d4 points of damage per round from the geyser rather than 1d4. The command word must be spoken to stop it.

Rowboat:This 8- to 12-foot-long boat with two oars holds two or three Medium passengers, and is either carried on the deck of a larger ship or moored to a dock onshore. A rowboat moves about 1-1/2 miles per hour.

So, if a Decanter of Endless Water was strapped tot he port/starboard sides of a rowboat, and perhaps assuming a 150 Lb person inside to guide it, how fast would the boat go?

Last edited:

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
To be clear for the people about to do math... you mean one decanter on either side for a dual thrust propulsion?

Gogmagog

Validated User
Yes. One decanter on the back of the boat would AFAIK cause problems so keep things even.

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Two decanters in close proximity may not be such a good idea. Elemental planar instability type problems spring to mind...

Alternate proposal: Turn rowboat into fanboat and you only need the one air elemental instead, or a magic fan of some sort to provide thrust.

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
Two decanters in close proximity may not be such a good idea. Elemental planar instability type problems spring to mind...
However, for those of us who don't know what an elemental planar instability type problem is, or cares to put such a house rule into our games, the question is still valid.

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
this site here might be useful. I assumed the opening of a decanter is about one inch. At 300 gallons per minute it says it is about 122 feet per second. Better mathers than I will have to judge how much boat thrust that could actually be.

Altaica

Validated User
Just to clarify. are we using the decanters as thrusters on a body of water or using the decanters to create a stream on land?

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
The first thing that comes to mind is that if we really want to take it strictly, we're dealing with a constraint force here, ie. the potentially infinite forces that keep a stiff pendulum moving in a circular arc no matter how heavy the weight is on the end. This means that the pressure of the water stream will always be equal to the pressure required to get through the opening at the given velocity plus whatever pressure the outside is putting on it: Take the decanter into the deep ocean? The description says 30 gallons per round, so it pushes back the deep sea water with the same force!

On the other hand, if it's supposed to have a certain stream length when used on land, then we can probably work out the pressure from the pressure required to produce an arc of that length.

Last edited:

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Just to clarify. are we using the decanters as thrusters on a body of water or using the decanters to create a stream on land?
In answer to your question, the OP does not specify land or water use, but I would assume that water use was the original concept's intent.

I would suggest some notions about ice magic and ski-boats, but as Dr Tran has already pointed out a technical issue and modified the single decanter to a twin decanter drive prototype project, any side projects to that will have have to wait until the original concept has been more fully considered.

However, a Dimensional Anchor may be a wise safety precaution for the test model.
I'm not entirely sure what the effect of two small elemental gates in close proximity at maximum operation is over a sustained period, but should there be an issue with stability of the construct, say accidentally entering an elemental gate to the Plane of Water with such a craft, the use of Dimensional Anchor should in theory prevent that occurring.

While I value the enthusiastic attitude of Dr Tan's* approach to field testing, the academy may not appreciate the expanse of cleaning up yet another planar rift in school grounds this term...

*Disclaimer: Real Life Doctorates and fictional mages alike have academic arguments about any project's merits and dangers, so I'm just having a bit of fun in the tone of a long suffering arcane researcher commenting on a fellow scholars thesis, not having a go at the poster known as Dr. Tran. I'm not a doctor either... ;)

Top Bottom