• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Official] Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread Part II

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having rewatched the movie recently I realized that after Captain Marvel, Wanda may be the most powerful hero out there*. It certainly looked like she was going to take down Thanos before he went with the nuclear option.

*Yes, I realize that there is plenty of room for debate here.
I liked the contrast between Wanda and Steve/Natasha in the fight with Thanos's lackeys in Infinity War. Wanda was probably WAY more powerful then the lackeys, but they attacked from surprise, kept her off balance, and she was distracted keeping Vision alive--so said lackeys were winning. Then Steve and Natasha show up, and they are LESS powerful then those lackeys, but they are trained soldiers who work together and use tactics to their advantage--so Cap and the Widow manage to win.

The implication here (seems to me) is that Wanda has a lot of raw power, but isn't a trained fighter. Her training has probably focused on properly controlling her powers, not on winning fights.
Oh I definitely agree. She’s near the top on blasty power and also has mental tricks that haven’t gotten much focus as a good guy.
In terms of raw power, it's worth noting that Wanda was winning UNTIL Thanos turned his battleship's guns on her, but Carol was able to defeat that ship, guns and all. So in terms of raw power, Carol would seem to have a clear advantage. On the other hand, in terms of bredth, Wanda can do a lot more with her powers (mostly because they haven't been well-defined in the movies). The only other hero in contention for "broadest powers" is Dr. Strange (though Iron Man with his nanotech was in the running too).

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I liked the contrast between Wanda and Steve/Natasha in the fight with Thanos's lackeys in Infinity War. Wanda was probably WAY more powerful then the lackeys, but they attacked from surprise, kept her off balance, and she was distracted keeping Vision alive--so said lackeys were winning. Then Steve and Natasha show up, and they are LESS powerful then those lackeys, but they are trained soldiers who work together and use tactics to their advantage--so Cap and the Widow manage to win.

The implication here (seems to me) is that Wanda has a lot of raw power, but isn't a trained fighter. Her training has probably focused on properly controlling her powers, not on winning fights.

In terms of raw power, it's worth noting that Wanda was winning UNTIL Thanos turned his battleship's guns on her, but Carol was able to defeat that ship, guns and all. So in terms of raw power, Carol would seem to have a clear advantage. On the other hand, in terms of bredth, Wanda can do a lot more with her powers (mostly because they haven't been well-defined in the movies). The only other hero in contention for "broadest powers" is Dr. Strange (though Iron Man with his nanotech was in the running too).
Agree with that analysis yeah.

What I'd love to see is Wanda studying under the Sorcerers to learn traditional magic with a unique personal power source.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Wanda is powerful, but she’s a bit of a glass cannon. Carol is so scary because she’s also very tough in addition to being very mobile and hitting very hard.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Wanda is powerful, but she’s a bit of a glass cannon. Carol is so scary because she’s also very tough in addition to being very mobile and hitting very hard.
Yeah, Wanda is a glass cannon while Carol can absorb energy so it's alot harder to hurt her.

I'd also like to point out that while Wanda had Thanos on the ropes he didn't know who she was and probably didn't think her much of a threat. He let his guard down and it very nearly cost him.

There's around so around so matter of scale. Beating up a person sized thing is different from taking on a space ship, but Wanda was also able to pick up those circular grindy death machines in Infinity War and toss them around. She was also able to at least deflect one of the leviathans so perhaps she could have dealt with the Sanctuary II.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
while this is ture of 616 Carol, we still have had any direct info on her powers (beyond she top tier).
Endgame showed her tanking the Sanctuary II, which was powerful enough that all the other heroes could do was shelter and hope to wait out the bombardment. I'm not sure if there is something out there that can hurt MCU!Carol.

The Watcher

Cosmic Observer
Validated User
I'm not sure if there is something out there that can hurt MCU!Carol.
The Power Stone but you'd have to retrieve it from the past. Stormbreaker swung by Thor possibly. She's definitely stronger but a weaker man with a knife can hurt a stronger one and Stormbreaker did decapitate Thanos with one stroke. Not sure it could do that to Carol but I'm willing to entertain the possibility it could at least cut her if swung by someone of sufficient strength.

Beyond such things, one will have to go for esoteric approaches which bypass physical durability. Mental attacks. Punching her out of her body. Teleporting or dimension-dumping her away. Shrinking her down to the Quantum Zone.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
while this is ture of 616 Carol, we still have had any direct info on her powers (beyond she top tier).
As others have mentioned why it hasn't been expositioned, we see Mar-Vell's cruiser losing power as Carol goes Binary. As she comes down to confront Yon-Rogg the power lines are going nuts. And she completely no sells Thanos headbutting her. That last one could be uber brick but it makes sense that there's lots of energy absorption going on.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
As others have mentioned why it hasn't been expositioned, we see Mar-Vell's cruiser losing power as Carol goes Binary. As she comes down to confront Yon-Rogg the power lines are going nuts. And she completely no sells Thanos headbutting her. That last one could be uber brick but it makes sense that there's lots of energy absorption going on.
Well the least problematic definition of Tank powers is personal selective inertial damping. Which is basically energy absorption, so there we are. And then she can just do fun things with her energy sink.

She also probably has some kind of dimensional protection, since Space Stone.

Top Bottom