(Official) Game of Thrones S8x1 “Winterfell”

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member

Moderator Text:

So here we are. This is the official thread for Game of Thrones S8 Episode 1 of 6. This is the end. Everything that has come before is fair game to discuss, in fact, I have recently been told there are several books and while that is shocking news, you are welcome to reference them as well. So here be Dragons and new rules -

1. There will be a thread for each episode.

Spoilers for interviews or previews about future show material in spoiler blocks. Speculation based on an outside source should be in spoiler blocks too.

Past that?

The books exist. It’s all real.

To spoiler protect these threads from books eight or more years behind, where John Snow was just betrayed, where Tyrion stands outside the gates having not yet met Dany? That feels like weird moderation performance art, and I will not be requiring it.

2. That said, please liberally use spoiler blocks on book material you think might somehow be a spoiler.

I mean, it’s hard to even say what that is, but your good thoughtful people so be so. Use your best judgment. I may step in and block text I feel needs to be, but I am going to use a light touch.

3. There will be a general topic thread called “Game of Thrones S8 General Discussion.”

Why? If you want to discuss the minutia of S4 or pine for Lady Stoneheart it should not clog new episode reactions, but I will trust some discretion here. I may redirect book discussion here if it’s gotten distracting. The books are now fair game, but fifty posts in an episode thread on how the Sand Snakes were better developed in the books is not fun. So I will redirect here as needed.

4. A light touch is the go to.

Expect purple text when I think we need guidance. Only behavior I feel is in violation of the more general rules of the board is gonna get red unless somebody ignores me asking them be considerate.

5. As noted in TT universal amnesty has been granted to all Game of Thrones TV show threads.

If people act as poor board citizens the rules apply as ever, but I am not going to be enforcing any ban from the show threads or the related general thread. Welcome back. Have fun.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Sure, Arya gets to meet up with Gendry again and they have a sort of stoic flirtation, but this?

This is the look of someone who just fell in love.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
So this is the episode thread, right? Are we spoiler free for this episode, or should all material be in sblocks?

For the moment I’ll block everything.
Spoiler: Show
Hooo-buddy! We are cookin’. What’s left? I feel like I saw just about every big scene I expected to see this season. I’m either love or hate the pace they seem to be setting. I’m not quite sure which yet. I hope Sansa and Tyrion end up together. I hope Arya and Gendry end up together.

That said, Bran? The time is not now. The time was the very moment John set foot in Winterfell again. Not after a week or two of Jon and Denarys making kissy faces at each other and every freaking body starting to talk about what a cute couple they are. Your chair has wheels- you shoulda fuckin’ used ‘em!

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
With two scenes, John Bradley made himself Episode MVP in an excellent all-around episode with so many excellent performances.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
So this is the episode thread, right? Are we spoiler free for this episode, or should all material be in sblocks?

For the moment I’ll block everything.
Spoiler: Show
Hooo-buddy! We are cookin’. What’s left? I feel like I saw just about every big scene I expected to see this season. I’m either love or hate the pace they seem to be setting. I’m not quite sure which yet. I hope Sansa and Tyrion end up together. I hope Arya and Gendry end up together.

That said, Bran? The time is not now. The time was the very moment John set foot in Winterfell again. Not after a week or two of Jon and Denarys making kissy faces at each other and every freaking body starting to talk about what a cute couple they are. Your chair has wheels- you shoulda fuckin’ used ‘em!
Nah, he waited for that particular moment for a reason, I think.

If he'd spilled it sooner, Daenarys would have rightly seen Jon as a threat and either set loose her dragons or try to pull him even closer. Waiting until Sam was just told his brother he loved was executed was precisely when Bran wanted the information to come out.

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member

Guidance:

no spoiler blocks needed for 8x1

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Nah, he waited for that particular moment for a reason, I think.

If he'd spilled it sooner, Daenarys would have rightly seen Jon as a threat and either set loose her dragons or try to pull him even closer. Waiting until Sam was just told his brother he loved was executed was precisely when Bran wanted the information to come out.
She can’t get him too much closer. ;):sick:

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
They sure pulled off the "R+L=J" band-aid a whole lot faster than I thought they would. I figured we'd get a couple of episodes of Bran and Sam hemming and hawing over whether now was the right time and NOPE, there it is, right out in the open. Now I hope we just don't string it out too long with Jon being wishy-washy about it.

I should have known it was Jamie that Bran was waiting for, but boy that final scene was still a whopper. Hell of a note to end on.

And little Lord Umber creeped me the hell out. Was NOT expecting that.

All in all, that was a great return. Minimal wheel-spinning but no rushed feeling at all. And I loved that they've returned to the original end credits music too.

Top Bottom