• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

( official ) Game of Thrones S8x6 “The Iron Throne”

jimthegray

Validated User
It’s not a poetic or heroic ending though. Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night Watch, King of the North, the guy who forged an army to defeat the Undead, who rode dragons and slayed the last Targaryen queen... doesn’t get a heroic ending. He just wanders offstage, to go live in a wildling tent somewhere.

It’s not epic. It’s quiet, mundane, understated.
Sure. Which Is what he wanted

jimthegray

Validated User
Yeah. Jon accepted being sent to the Wall because he does what's required even if he doesn't like it, and then when Tormund and Ghost were there, he rode out with them. It's not clear whether he was going to stay with them, but then whoever was left in the Watch closed the gate behind him as if to say, nah, we don't really expect you to come back, and that's fine. And when Jon turned to look, the Wildlings rode on without him, because they also don't need him to lead them. There's no more need for a King Beyond the Wall to unite them and lead them south. So Jon gets to be free. He's not responsible for anyone else, he's not asked to lead, and no one north of the Wall cares about his parentage.

Tyrion kind of set himself up for that. And the thing is, when he was actually acting as the Hand of the King, and not just trying to keep Meereen from falling into anarchy or trying to be a general, he was a really good Hand.

Yep. Arya, like Jon, gets to live a life of adventure outside the expectations of Westerosi society. Sansa gets to be a queen, but not subservient to a man (and if and when she marries, I'm pretty sure she'll be a Queen with a consort rather than a co-equal king). Bran ... I guess he gets to fly, which might be all he wants judging by what he said in the small council (no interest in the actual affairs of the council beyond getting all the positions filled, but interested in finding out where Drogon went; if he can warg into Drogon, I imagine he'll spend some of his time in there).
Well bran manipulated all of this so hes getting something out of it :)

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Jon was happiest north of the wall, though, I think he's pretty ok with it.
As much as he's okay with anything now.

The one who got the shittiest deal is probably Tyrion, though. He is good at being hand, but I don't think he enjoys it at all. And after all he's been through, he will certainly feel the weight of responsibility in a way that he has never done before.
Both he and Brann clearly both considered it a punishment/repentance of sorts.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Yeah. Jon accepted being sent to the Wall because he does what's required even if he doesn't like it, and then when Tormund and Ghost were there, he rode out with them. It's not clear whether he was going to stay with them, but then whoever was left in the Watch closed the gate behind him as if to say, nah, we don't really expect you to come back, and that's fine. And when Jon turned to look, the Wildlings rode on without him, because they also don't need him to lead them. There's no more need for a King Beyond the Wall to unite them and lead them south. So Jon gets to be free. He's not responsible for anyone else, he's not asked to lead, and no one north of the Wall cares about his parentage.

Tyrion kind of set himself up for that. And the thing is, when he was actually acting as the Hand of the King, and not just trying to keep Meereen from falling into anarchy or trying to be a general, he was a really good Hand.

Yep. Arya, like Jon, gets to live a life of adventure outside the expectations of Westerosi society. Sansa gets to be a queen, but not subservient to a man (and if and when she marries, I'm pretty sure she'll be a Queen with a consort rather than a co-equal king). Bran ... I guess he gets to fly, which might be all he wants judging by what he said in the small council (no interest in the actual affairs of the council beyond getting all the positions filled, but interested in finding out where Drogon went; if he can warg into Drogon, I imagine he'll spend some of his time in there).

Oh let Drogon hang around Valaria being worshiped by the Stone Men. Guy deserves a break.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
But no Iron Throne for Bran. Though I hope he at least gets a wheelthrone as an upgrade to his wheelchair.
Some joker suggested that Bran rules from the Iron Ramp. Sounds better than the melted throne I suppose.

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It’s not a poetic or heroic ending though. Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night Watch, King of the North, the guy who forged an army to defeat the Undead, who rode dragons and slayed the last Targaryen queen... doesn’t get a heroic ending. He just wanders offstage, to go live in a wildling tent somewhere.

It’s not epic. It’s quiet, mundane, understated.
And since one of the themes of GoT is that being good doesn't guarantee success or happiness, I would still have preferred Jon have died. But I recognize D+D were never going to satisfy everyone.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
And since one of the themes of GoT is that being good doesn't guarantee success or happiness, I would still have preferred Jon have died. But I recognize D+D were never going to satisfy everyone.
This is one of the things I've realized. No matter what ending we got, not only were there people who were going to be dissatisfied, there were going to people that claimed the ending didn't follow from came before, violated established characterization, came out of nowhere, or, basically, any critique you see directed at this season. That doesn't mean the critiques are all equally valid, but it does mean from a distance they'd pretty much look the same.

Top Bottom