• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

( official ) Game of Thrones S8x6 “The Iron Throne”

SamLL

My religion is kindness.
Validated User
This is one of the things I've realized. No matter what ending we got, not only were there people who were going to be dissatisfied, there were going to people that claimed the ending didn't follow from came before, violated established characterization, came out of nowhere, or, basically, any critique you see directed at this season. That doesn't mean the critiques are all equally valid, but it does mean from a distance they'd pretty much look the same.
I agree that no matter what happened, you would always be able to find at least a few lone cranks who were dissatisfied; however it is very much not true that you would always find that a huge fraction of the fanbase was dissatisfied, a million people would be signing tongue in cheek petitions against the writing, and general consensus stabilizing around the conclusion being a flub.

Heck, we saw in almost the same month a different crazy ambitious finale to a decade long, cultural phenomenon media property in Avengers Endgame, and that very clearly has had an incredibly different, successful, reception.

The media critiques issued by a lone crank, vs. a thoughtful critic, may look the same from a distance, as you suggest.... but once observed up close, it's not hard to tell which is which.

OldKentuckyShark

Doritos from Japan
Validated User
Or take the Veep finale, which ended literally just after GOT's "The Bells", and also featured a self-destructive flameout and the shocking betrayal of a beloved character and was more or less universally praised by fans and critics alike.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While one never wants to say never, I suspect its going to be a long time before Jon lets himself show interest in a woman again, after how things worked out with both Ygritte and Dani.
Maybe it’s time for a brunette.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
But if you drill down beyond "I didn't want it to end this way," I don't think you'd find a ton of consensus.

Just at the most basic structural level, should the battle of King's Landing have come before or after the Battle of Winterfell? Should there have been a couple of more episodes to flesh out character motivations, or a few more seasons?

Then who should have killed the Night King? Or should the Night King have won? Who should have killed Cersei? Or should Cersei have won? Should Jon have lived or died? Should Dany? Arya? Sansa? Tyrion? Who should have ended up ruling the Seven Kingdoms? Should anyone? Should the Seven Kingdoms have completely split apart? Should the North have stayed in the Seven Kingdoms? Should Jaime have stayed with Brienne? Should Arya or Sansa have married Gendry so that the Wolf and the Stag would finally be united? Should Sansa have remarried Tyrion? Should Bran have done more obvious magic, or been less cryptic, or just gone North to live in a tree like his predecessor? Should he have warged into Drogon to save the day somehow?

I think you can find a lot of people who are unhappy with the way the show ended. I think very few of those people though, if they're being honest, would be able say that they'd have been happy with any ending at all except this specific ending. People who are upset are generally upset, as far as I can see, because they wanted or expected certain things to happen, and not all of the things that all these people think happened wrong can co-exist to make everyone happy.

I think ultimately the problem is that it ended. While the show was ongoing, it existed in a state of uncertainty where any ending was possible, and anyone could be excited to see their preferred ending happen. Once it actually ended, though, there had to be one ending, which meant lots of people weren't going to get the endings they imagined the show was heading toward.

SamLL

My religion is kindness.
Validated User
Respectfully, I completely disagree. Little to none of the criticism that I have heard has been centered around the facts of the ending - all the questions you focus on in your second paragraph.

Most to all of the criticism I have heard has been centered around those facts of the ending feeling unearned, rushed, or forced: not "the way the show ended" in terms of the plot choices, but the quality of the show as it ended. You are focusing on what happened; most everyone else is focusing on how it happened.

Last edited:

Ralls

Entering the Abyss
Validated User
I've talked to plenty of folk that don't like what happened at the end.

Still, generally I think the GOT ending has been better received then Lost's or BSG's.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I agree that no matter what happened, you would always be able to find at least a few lone cranks who were dissatisfied; however it is very much not true that you would always find that a huge fraction of the fanbase was dissatisfied, a million people would be signing tongue in cheek petitions against the writing, and general consensus stabilizing around the conclusion being a flub.
I'd buy that more if I agreed with the last part (that there's a concensus) and if I didn't think by the time you got to the end of season six, I didn't think any conclusion wouldn't have gotten big chunks of outrage. But since neither of those is the case, I'm afraid I can't agree with your implied conclusion here.

Blackadder

Retired User
Respectfully, I completely disagree. Little to none of the criticism that I have heard has been centered around the facts of the ending - all the questions you focus on in your second paragraph.
Just look at the non-plus thread covering the whole season in this very forum. People are literally complaining "I thought X would do Y" and "I thought A would kill B".

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Most to all of the criticism I have heard has been centered around those facts of the ending feeling unearned, rushed, or forced: not "the way the show ended" in terms of the plot choices, but the quality of the show as it ended. You are focusing on what happened; most everyone else is focusing on how it happened.
Except I don't believe if it ended differently, other people would haven't been making basically the same arguments aimed in different directions.

Top Bottom