• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Oh Shit Son - Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I'm going to add it to my Steam library to keep things easy to manage on my end.
Yeah. I haven't bothered trying to add other games to Steam from outside of Steam, but between Blizzard, Origin, and Steam, Epic is just one more launcher among many, and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw isn't any different than adding, say, a GoG game or any other game that exists outside of a launcher (since, as I understand it, once the game's downloaded, one can run it free of the Epic launcher forever more afterward). As grouchy as I get about streaming services splintering more and more, that's because I have to pay for them. Something I don't have to pay for, beyond buying the game? Fine by me.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
So, me being me and not savvy about cross-platform linking... when we say 'add to my Steam library', does that mean you can launch it from within Steam, or is that just more of an inventory tracking thing?

Because I'm liking all the things I'm hearing about this, and this and Mechwarrior 5 might be what gets me on the Epic platform.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, me being me and not savvy about cross-platform linking... when we say 'add to my Steam library', does that mean you can launch it from within Steam, or is that just more of an inventory tracking thing?

Because I'm liking all the things I'm hearing about this, and this and Mechwarrior 5 might be what gets me on the Epic platform.
You can launch it from within Steam.

Nelzie

Validated User
I think the biggest reasons this game has such low requirements is that the models for the ships are fairly static, there's not a HUGE amount of Models changing shape and the shapes they use aren't overly complex, in the grand scheme of model complexity.

The lighting effects and similar, while updated since the Unreal Engine originally released, really aren't that taxing on even 5 year old GPUs.

NONE of which is meant to take away from optimizations they done. That's hugely important too, but starting with a really robust, mature platform and keeping the assets tight was a very solid decision to make. So, there's just more to praise them on with the low system requirements.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
DoubleDamage is actually doing what AAA (and even most AA/A and some B) developers seldom bother with any more: Proper optimization passes and incremental improvement.

One thing that really impressed me, was them actually watching all the streamers playing their game and soliciting their feedback and actually patching/improving their game based on said feedback with small patches, even before the official release. I always wonder why this isn't standard practice for games which give early access to streamers.

It seems like common sense to then monitor said streamers and/or request feedback from them.

Here, a small, indie team is able to do so, when multi-million dollar dev-houses with full-publisher backing seem to lack capability and desire to do so.
A lot of companies actually do this, but most of the time, the feedback is not actionable. First, streamers are not a good sample of your regular customers; second, they may or may not be able to articulate good feedback; and third, their feedback may be good, it may be infeasible for unrelated reasons.

Getting feedback and not doing anything with it most of the times means the feedback was analyzed, discussed and then decided not to act on it. Most people think that when they give feedback and nothing happens is that it was ignored, but most of the time it was listened to, but for lots of reasons it didn't happen.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
If literally every person who could fill in for me today wasn't out on vacation this week, I very likely would have called in sick.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Heh. Living in CEST means that I'll get home about exactly on time for it to drop. :D

Grumpygoat

Validated User
On the one hand, I'm slightly put-out that it wasn't dropped at midnight, so I could have stayed up and played it. On the other hand, I'm grateful it wasn't dropped at midnight so I didn't stay up and play it. I probably would have been up to an unreasonable hour, ruining myself for the day today.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Me too. I was going to call in, for reasons, and then work exploded and I had to no matter what come in. blargh.

but so looking forward to this evening!

Top Bottom