• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Oh Shit Son - Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Nelzie

Validated User
Welp, I pulled the trigger. Haven't had a chance to get into the actual game yet, but I was able to confirm that the game will launch from within Steam after adding it to my library, even without the Epic launcher running.

Frustratingly, though, it doesn't seem to recognize my controller over the Steam Link. If anyone's able to get that to work, lemme know; I rather enjoy being able to play my games in the living room.
This is one of the, legitimate gripes about games off the Epic Games store, while you are at your PC, you can absolutely use your controller with them, but if you try them through something like Steam Link, it's a no go.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I'm still getting used to it. Combat feels way more risky than in Privateer, strongly because you don't start with a missile launcher that you can just load up on FF missiles. I've mostly done cargo runs because of that. The control scheme also feels way more sparse, or I'm at least still getting used to it. Admittedly, I might have more functionality if I was using a keyboard. I also hate, hate, hate not being able to manually save - it looks like there's slots for about 12 saved games, but it looks like those are meant for additional new games, not multiple saves from the same game. If there's a way to manually save multiple saves, I've not been able to find it.

Still, enjoying it. It doesn't quite live up to how hyped I was for it, but that would've been a tall damn order.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
I started with Veteran with the expectation of a riskier start and... Damn, yeah. No Afterburner and no missiles meant that combat was really damn hard and fun. :D

But I really LOVE the controls. I'd be ecstatic if someone would re-do all Wing Commanders and the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games with that gamepad-centric scheme. When you get used to it, it's just so damn smooth to do stuff like hard-burning past a cap-ship, disengaging the throttle-lock, pumping all power to weapons and just strafing its side with all you've got. :)

I'm truly in love.

Last edited:

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I started with Veteran with the expectation of a riskier start and... Damn, yeah. No Afterburner and no missiles meant that combat was really damn hard and fun. :D

But I really LOVE the controls. I'd be ecstatic if someone would re-do all Wing Commanders and the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games with that gamepad-centric scheme. When you get used to it, it's just so damn smooth to do stuff like hard-burning past a cap-ship, disengaging the throttle-lock, pumping all power to weapons and just strafing its side with all you've got. :)

I'm truly in love.
I have not managed anything that cool yet. I don't even know how to disable the automatics that way.

Nelzie

Validated User
I am envious! It's just not in my budget to pick this up anytime soon.

Please post screenshots and all the observations so that those of us who wish to, can totally live vicariously through you all!

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
This is one of the, legitimate gripes about games off the Epic Games store, while you are at your PC, you can absolutely use your controller with them, but if you try them through something like Steam Link, it's a no go.
🤬

I've done some googling and it seems there's been successful workarounds for past games. I'll see what I can do. If nothing else, maybe the wireless dongle can work from my room.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User
Oh look, Epic charged my card but didn't give me the game. Maybe I shouldn't have trusted their web storefront. I guess I should have looked harder for the store client download link rather than clicking on the shiny space ships on the front page.
Have you got that sorted out, or are you still denied the game?

We started using the Epic store because my daughter is/was a fan of Fortnite and they kept throwing free games at us, but I’ve noticed it’s not super reliable, but usually does the right thing after restarting the client. I haven’t had a “no game after paying” situation (yet…), but that’s the first thing I’d try: install the client and make sure it hooks up to the same account as on the web store, and see if the game is there after all.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I got my controller to work over the Steam Link!

Apparently all you have to do is add the line:
-EpicPortal
to the launch options. At least that's what did it for me. Apparently this was the fix for Subnautica.

Vargen

Validated User
Have you got that sorted out, or are you still denied the game?

We started using the Epic store because my daughter is/was a fan of Fortnite and they kept throwing free games at us, but I’ve noticed it’s not super reliable, but usually does the right thing after restarting the client. I haven’t had a “no game after paying” situation (yet…), but that’s the first thing I’d try: install the client and make sure it hooks up to the same account as on the web store, and see if the game is there after all.
I did check the client. No game was to be seen. The charge disappeared this morning, and I was able to buy the game successfully through the launcher. It's pretty good, but I'm getting tired of the garbage hauler. I need to save up for something more agile. Unfortunately the mission scaling seems to think my ship has improved more than it actually has, and combat is getting really punishing. Also these early ships are really making me appreciate the distinctive silhouettes of the TIE Fighter and Dralthi. These aren't bad, but they're not as clear and trackable as those classics.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got my controller to work over the Steam Link!

Apparently all you have to do is add the line:
-EpicPortal
to the launch options. At least that's what did it for me. Apparently this was the fix for Subnautica.
Cheers! I'll try it on the link myself this weekend.

Do you use a steam controller, or wire in a conventional x-box style controller?

I'll bet with steam controller mapping, you could do a great scheme for RGO

Top Bottom