• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Oh Shit Son - Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's a question... does it make more sense to do regular missions and max out all my kit before going deeper into the story missions? I just helped Satchel out.

Will the game's diff scaling make the story missions annoying if I go in with a maxed out hellship?

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Here's a question... does it make more sense to do regular missions and max out all my kit before going deeper into the story missions? I just helped Satchel out.

Will the game's diff scaling make the story missions annoying if I go in with a maxed out hellship?
Does the game scale? If it does, it does so by putting out the stronger types of ships in the game and, eventually, it stops by reaching the strongest ships and not having any higher to go. As I have basically been a troglodyte since release and I beat the campaign last night, excluding any hidden/faction-specific missions.

And my thoughts are: the game becomes highly repetitive once you've maxed your ship out. Working toward new improvements gives a sense of advancement, but once you have all of those, the game becomes pretty much the same. Roar in, blow ships up with impunity, rinse, repeat. I ended the game with over 500k extra credits and the full upgrade package for every single ship. It doesn't help that some of the story missions will take you to the opposite end of the sector and back again.

So my thought is to focus on story missions, and don't try to max your ship out beforehand. Some of those missions may be super-obnoxious and, if so, focus on side missions for upgrades. Chances are you'll still max your ship out before you're done with the story, but the longer there is to advance, the more satisfying the game will feel. At least based on my experience of going through a large chunk of the story using either a maxed out Dingo or Coyote.

Vargen

Validated User
I just had an interesting experience. I hit a risky gate, took a bit of damage from it, and got jumped by some religious nuts immediately. What made it interesting was the gate damage had pretty much killed my pitch rate, so I had to yaw and roll my way to victory. It was a little annoying, but it was also a nice change of pace. This experience echos some of my more memorable moments from the X-Wing games, where I got damaged in a way that affected gameplay and managed to limp my way to victory.

Now I want to mod the game so that ships are a bit more durable but are also more likely to suffer damage to the subsystems. Maybe make the shields leak a little damage through too. That might end up being more annoying than fun, but I think it'd be worth trying.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just had an interesting experience. I hit a risky gate, took a bit of damage from it, and got jumped by some religious nuts immediately. What made it interesting was the gate damage had pretty much killed my pitch rate, so I had to yaw and roll my way to victory. It was a little annoying, but it was also a nice change of pace. This experience echos some of my more memorable moments from the X-Wing games, where I got damaged in a way that affected gameplay and managed to limp my way to victory.

Now I want to mod the game so that ships are a bit more durable but are also more likely to suffer damage to the subsystems. Maybe make the shields leak a little damage through too. That might end up being more annoying than fun, but I think it'd be worth trying.
that would make the repair droid a valuable subsystem - and one that could have levels and tiers of function for speed and degree of repair possible.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Oh, and... Yeah.
To showcase how calm, level-headed and courteous gamers are. °vomits°

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Where is that third turret on the Beluga mounted? Turret arcs of fire were a huge thing in Rebel Galaxy, and it occurs that the same is true at least on the Beluga.

Also, I really hope we get a true gunship in the game at some point. Something on the Beluga's scale, but with 3 or more turrets by default, a fighter scale hold, and and rank 3+ systems.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Where is that third turret on the Beluga mounted? Turret arcs of fire were a huge thing in Rebel Galaxy, and it occurs that the same is true at least on the Beluga.

Also, I really hope we get a true gunship in the game at some point. Something on the Beluga's scale, but with 3 or more turrets by default, a fighter scale hold, and and rank 3+ systems.
I'm not up to date ... did the devs state that they'll be adding new ships and weapons? Cuz that would be nice.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not up to date ... did the devs state that they'll be adding new ships and weapons? Cuz that would be nice.
I think it has been mentioned. When the modkit lands, it'll be possible for sure.

Top Bottom