• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Also binge-watched Cells at Work! yesterday, and man I enjoyed that one. The implications are staggering, though:

Implication #1: We see cells like U-1146 and Killer T bleeding. And U-1146 gets a bruise. And they sweat. Which implies that the cells in this specific body also have fully-functioning circulatory systems and sweat glands. And who knows what else. Which implies that the cells...

...have cells. So somewhere inside U-1146, there's a red blood cell like AE3803 and a white blood cell like U-1146 and so on.

IT'S CELLS ALL THE WAY DOWN! O_O

Implication #2: According to Wikipedia, the average white blood cell lives around 6 days before dying.

U-1146, the white blood cell we see in the first episode, is clearly the same U-1146 we see in the final episode. He's still alive and kicking.

So in less than one week's time, the body they live in experiences:

-The Flu
-Food poisoning
-Hayfever
-Heat stroke bad enough to require intravenous saline
-Head trauma bad enough to require a blood transfusion

To quote a comment from the Crunchyroll comment section, "Dude needs to take better care of himself."
for what it's worth, here, the Cell life cycle is metaphorically when we see them switch to clean uniforms

Eled the Worm Tamer

Spider Jeruselem's Warior
Validated User
Hybanae Renmei, is... hard to explain. I dearly love the series but to this day I couldn't tell you why as on paper I should loathe it. But there's some alchemy in its slow slightly shabby melancholy, its mysteries and rituals. In the soft delicacy of the art. Its... Its kind of like Lost met Gormengast by way of Stardew Valley, but in a way that makes it destinct from any of those.

Last Exile is far simpler to explain, diselpunk aircraft fight a war with Napoleonic naval tactics.

Texhnolyze is another odd one a sad slow bittersweet transhumanist thing, intercut with moments of shocking violence and crewlty, and one of the moast depressing endinsg ever seen by me, but also a facinating world.

Also going to second anything by Ghibi, Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa and Princess Monanoke are particular favorites.

Also and its a shade surprising no ones mentioned it, Akira. If you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself to do so.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hybanae Renmei, is... hard to explain. I dearly love the series but to this day I couldn't tell you why as on paper I should loathe it. But there's some alchemy in its slow slightly shabby melancholy, its mysteries and rituals. In the soft delicacy of the art. Its... Its kind of like Lost met Gormengast by way of Stardew Valley, but in a way that makes it destinct from any of those.
Well, honestly, given that I started this thread in 2017, we've moved past the "Recommend me" portion of the thread by now, and have moved on to the bit where I just talk about the anime I'm watching these days (mostly but not entirely based on the recommendations of this thread). But the Wikipedia entry for this mildly piqued my curiosity, so I may give this one a whirl if they have it on Crunchyroll.

Texhnolyze is another odd one a sad slow bittersweet transhumanist thing, intercut with moments of shocking violence and crewlty, and one of the moast depressing endinsg ever seen by me, but also a facinating world.
Welp, there's me out. I don't want to be depressed by my escapism.

Bicorn

Validated User
The level of accident-prone-ness displayed by the human in Cells at Work made me wonder if maybe the last episode would reveal they're the protagonist of a slapsticky romantic comedy. (You probably know the type.)

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The level of accident-prone-ness displayed by the human in Cells at Work made me wonder if maybe the last episode would reveal they're the protagonist of a slapsticky romantic comedy. (You probably know the type.)
My headcanon is that the massive head trauma + blood loss was due to a car wreck.

I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but apparently Cells at Work!: Code Black deals with cells in a completely different body, one that is actually unhealthy. Like, some decrepit old fat guy or something, who has erectile dysfunction and gout and myriad other problems. I would love to see that adapted as an anime, but will almost certainly pick up the manga when it comes out.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, something like Love Hina, where the male protagonist seems to constantly get battered to within an inch of his life. Good thought actually, it explains a lot!

The other choice might be Ranma 1/2 but he doesn't actually get hurt that often (actually I think Ryoga gets the heck beat out of him more often, and of course he's somewhat "accident prone" too.)

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Also binge-watched Cells at Work! yesterday, and man I enjoyed that one. The implications are staggering, though:
This series is a lot of fun. I recommend checking out Dr. Hope's Sick Notes YouTube Channel. He's a British doctor who watches and reviews (and explains) stuff in Cells at Work. It's pretty entertaining and informative, as he provides some more in depth information about various bits from the series, but in a fairly simple and easy to understand way.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This series is a lot of fun. I recommend checking out Dr. Hope's Sick Notes YouTube Channel. He's a British doctor who watches and reviews (and explains) stuff in Cells at Work. It's pretty entertaining and informative, as he provides some more in depth information about various bits from the series, but in a fairly simple and easy to understand way.
Oh yeah, I will be all over that. Thanks!

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, honestly, given that I started this thread in 2017, we've moved past the "Recommend me" portion of the thread by now, and have moved on to the bit where I just talk about the anime I'm watching these days (mostly but not entirely based on the recommendations of this thread). But the Wikipedia entry for this mildly piqued my curiosity, so I may give this one a whirl if they have it on Crunchyroll.
It's free on Youtube actually, on Funimation's channel. It also remains one of my favorite series of all time so I heartily recommend it.

In many ways I think it's sort of a predecessor of the whole "cute girls doing cute things" genre but don't let that discourage you, there's a lot of depth and stuff to love there without a lot of cliches of the genre since it pretty much predates them.

Top Bottom