• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What do you like about it?
There's an air of supernatural mystery about it - who are these girls, why do they have wings, and what's up with the strange town, and learning about it is a major part of the show - but it's not the show's only purpose. It's also a moving character piece, and uses elements of slice of life series well - I found myself drawn to it not just because of learning about the world, but because I wanted to see how the characters reacted to the things they learned about the world, if that makes sense.

It's not an action packed show, but a quiet and contemplative one, and it's hard to get that right - but Haibane Renmei does (IMHO at least).

Also the music is incredible.

Why would that discourage me?
That was kind of a joke, but I'd also say that CGDCT sometimes overly focus on the aspect of "wow these characters are cute, doesn't it make you want to like them?" to the point where it gets in the way of the rest of the show. There are certainly exceptions, but that's kind of been my experience with them. Basically saying it's something of a CGDCT show could give certain impressions and I don't think they're really reflective of Haibane Renmei, which predates the genre and while it is a series about a group of girls, doesn't really try to shove them being cute in the viewer's face.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Regarding JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Spoiler: Show
Man, Baron Zeppeli is pretty talkative for a dude who got ripped completely in half 10 minutes ago AND dumped all his life energy into JoJo.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Man, I really do like the ending credits for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The shonen anime + Aztec imagery + "Roundabout" just works. I dig it.

Also, I get such a Fist of the North Star vibe from JBA. Must be the shoulder pads.

Also, it wasn't until I saw the villain named "Doobie" that it clicked that, yep, the original manga artist really was looking through his collection of rock albums for character names. "REO Speedwagon" was pretty obvious, but there was a small chance that it could've been the car. "Dio" could be RJD, but it's also Italian for "God". And "Zeppeli" could be a reference to the airship.

But then you had "Tonpetty", which sounds AWFULLY familiar. And when "Doobie" showed up, the shoe dropped and I realized that "Dire" and "Straizo" were Dire Straits, and "Poco" was also a band name, and, yeah, that's probably "Tom Pettty" and "Led Zeppelin" and an RJD reference. So now I'm just waiting to see what other band names pop up.

EDIT: Oh, and I just found out that Dio's East Asian henchman is "Wang Chung".

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That was kind of a joke, but I'd also say that CGDCT sometimes overly focus on the aspect of "wow these characters are cute, doesn't it make you want to like them?" to the point where it gets in the way of the rest of the show. There are certainly exceptions, but that's kind of been my experience with them. Basically saying it's something of a CGDCT show could give certain impressions and I don't think they're really reflective of Haibane Renmei, which predates the genre and while it is a series about a group of girls, doesn't really try to shove them being cute in the viewer's face.
I think I am maybe the target market for CGDCT. I dunno. But I enjoyed the heck out of Love Live! and Love Live Sunshine!, and was thrilled to discover just now that Hittoribocchi is on Crunchyroll. Love the Hittoribocchi manga, and was happy to hear that they'd made an anime out of it. Didn't know it was on Crunchyroll already, though.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I am maybe the target market for CGDCT. I dunno. But I enjoyed the heck out of Love Live! and Love Live Sunshine!, and was thrilled to discover just now that Hittoribocchi is on Crunchyroll. Love the Hittoribocchi manga, and was happy to hear that they'd made an anime out of it. Didn't know it was on Crunchyroll already, though.
Have you seen A Place Further than the Universe? It's a recent and very well liked CGDCT show, and I'm sure you would have gotten a thousand recommendations for it except it came out after you started the thread (Jan-March 2018).

It's definitely on Crunchyroll, that's where I saw it.

And there's nothing wrong with the genre, I just attached the disclaimer since if you're not out to watch cute girls being silly some of the more, let's call it focused, shows in that genre don't have much else.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
And there's nothing wrong with the genre, I just attached the disclaimer since if you're not out to watch cute girls being silly some of the more, let's call it focused, shows in that genre don't have much else.
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I was holding your feet to the fire over it. Was really just musing based on my reaction to seeing Hitoribocchi on Crunchyroll. Like, I'm not even 100% sure what "CGDCT" is as a genre. I feel like LL! and LLS! and Hitoribocchi qualify, because it's all about girls and the plot isn't super deep or anything. But I don't really know for sure. I'm still basically a newbie at this. I only started watching anime a month or so before I started this thread. And I go long stretches of time where I don't watch anything at all (anime or otherwise). So I'm not really plugged-in to the culture.

I do know that, in general, I like stuff like Kemono Friends and Love Live! and Saki a great deal. And when I'm in the mood for anime, I gravitate towards those kinds of shows. Like, I still haven't watched Attack on Titan yet, even though I suspect I will like it. I sit down to watch it and am like, nope, not in the mood for this level of intensity. Give me something light. Maybe later I'll be in the mood for AoT.

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Spoiler alert, no one is. It's not a precise genre descriptor.
I think that depends very much on how you define "genre."

Cultural critic Hiroki Azuma lays forth the idea of "animalization" and how it manifests in otaku culture. He posits a shift away from consumption of the "grand narratives" of modernism towards a more fragmented "database consumption" of individual elements that are constantly rearranged and interwoven in new ways.

The move away from holistic consumption of works arguably necessitates a re-definition of the concept of "genre," being as we still largely use it to define things in a more or less modernist context (even as we become more and more capable of acknowledging the elements that form the basis of new classification systems under database consumption).

Is a particular work "science fiction," or does it simply have "science fiction elements"? If fantasy literature was originally an extension of the neo-medievalist reaction against modernism that we call romanticism, then how do we classify the slew of "portal fantasy" stories that clearly show characters dominating traditional fantasy worlds using modern science? They have fantasy elements, but can we really call them fantasy if at their core they are exultations of the ideas that fantasy was a reaction against?

At some point, consumption of fantasy as a genre shifted away from narrative consumption to the consumption of various individual elements. "Cute girls" (and maybe "cute things" as well) are an equally valid target of consumption, just as much as wizards and elves and swords are for database-consumers of "fantasy". Perhaps CGDCT is harder to accept because it doesn't have as clear an antecedent in the "old" genres (note how people often call these shows slice of life, regardless of whether or not they actually conform to the narrative conventions of slice of life storytelling)?

Anyways thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Bicorn

Validated User
Also, I get such a Fist of the North Star vibe from JBA. Must be the shoulder pads.
Fist of the North Star was the artist's primary influence before he gravitated away from that style and towards the glammy style he's now best known for. You can already see his own stylings start to emerge in the early parts, with those massive muscle-hulks often having surprisingly delicate facial features and such.

Top Bottom