• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I dig Slime a lot too. I wouldn't quite call the crew 100% emotionally mature (Lookin' at you, Shuna, Gobta), but being monsters they've got a good perspective on how good they've got it and/or are just used to bowing to the strong. Like, you're a goblin and suddenly you're important in the eyes of someone that strong? Sweet! You're a dire wolf? Challenges are how you determine who's in charge. Etc..

What they want varies- sometimes power, sometimes safety, sometimes gratitude for something he's given them (I mean, a name is a *fantastic* bribe), but he does a good job of providing their needs.
"Emotionally mature" wasn't the best phrase I could've picked, but it was what occurred to me at the time. Just thinking more of how there's no backbiting, no Game of Thrones-esque jockeying for position, trying to ingratiate oneself deeper in the inner circle and closer to Rimaru at the expense of others. Closest we get to that is Milim being petulant and Shion and Shuna fighting over who gets to hold Rimaru today.

Also with this show I was really worried Naotsugu, being one of the original 3, but I was pleasantly surprised to run into his perviness a lot less later on.
His perviness doesn't bother me because there's almost always an immediate consequence. I'm not really worried about protecting the virtue of fictional entities, because they're incapable of giving a shit. But I do get bothered by the message the anime (or other media) is sending to the audience. Thus, consequence-free perviness gets on my nerves ("Check it out, otaku! Groping girls is totally okay!"), but instant karma perviness is tolerable.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Emotionally mature" wasn't the best phrase I could've picked, but it was what occurred to me at the time. Just thinking more of how there's no backbiting, no Game of Thrones-esque jockeying for position, trying to ingratiate oneself deeper in the inner circle and closer to Rimaru at the expense of others. Closest we get to that is Milim being petulant and Shion and Shuna fighting over who gets to hold Rimaru today.
A reasonableness about their positions, yea- I'm sure if Rimaru encouraged infighting he could get that, but he doesn't.

Unlike the Demon Lords who play games, Rimaru is explicitly quite open (while not being a fool).

His perviness doesn't bother me because there's almost always an immediate consequence. I'm not really worried about protecting the virtue of fictional entities, because they're incapable of giving a shit. But I do get bothered by the message the anime (or other media) is sending to the audience. Thus, consequence-free perviness gets on my nerves ("Check it out, otaku! Groping girls is totally okay!"), but instant karma perviness is tolerable.
I still dislike it because the consequences don't stop it, but like I said, it tunes down a lot, so my reaction curve was "I like the concept but am I *really* going to have to sit through this much.... oh, ok, guess not! Cool."

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Welp, sounds like I'll be moving that one up to the top of the list, then. Thanks!
My feelings on Log Horizon are more mixed than a lot of people's here, but one thing I can absolutely say in its favor is that its MMO player-character names are 100% legit.

The second season also features an arc with the most authentic gameplay I've ever seen in a trapped-inna-vidya anime. It took me right back to my early raiding days in World of Warcraft.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My feelings on Log Horizon are more mixed than a lot of people's here, but one thing I can absolutely say in its favor is that its MMO player-character names are 100% legit.

The second season also features an arc with the most authentic gameplay I've ever seen in a trapped-inna-vidya anime. It took me right back to my early raiding days in World of Warcraft.
Episode I just watched had them talking about things like off-healing and pulling and tanking, and I was transported back 20 years.

A lot of this game reminds me of EQ2. Especially the character classes. It's not a perfect match, but a lot of it maps pretty well.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
One weird thing, though: I find the TOTAL slavishness to the game medium vaguely off-putting in a way I cannot articulate (and, really, don't even fully understand). I don't think it's necessarily a fault with the anime, but I am baffled by my reaction to it. As I was watching the early episodes where they're finding out just how game-like their reality is now (e.g. Will actually respawn if killed, can't fight in certain areas, literal zone transitions, casting times and cooldowns, etc), it just felt off. I had a mildly negative reaction to it, but I couldn't tell you why. I think some of it has to do with the lowering of the stakes; we know nobody's gonna die, at worst they'll be inconvenienced. But that's not the whole of it, and I'm not sure what "the whole of it" actually is. More rumination required.
Ah. Well, good news and bad news there - it never really goes away, and right up until the end Log Horizon is pretty solidly "this is an MMO, not a world with the MMO's backstory". The good news is, as you note, it feels pretty authentic, unlike lots of "MMO" anime where it feels like the author just read a description of how MMOs work somewhere. The author definitely played MMOs and used his experience as inspiration for the story, and the story has some fun with "how would you build a civilization with MMO mechanics".

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, this got a laugh out of me.

That's an easter egg referencing Man With A Mission, the wolf-mask-wearing quintet who perform the song in the opening credits.

Ah. Well, good news and bad news there - it never really goes away, and right up until the end Log Horizon is pretty solidly "this is an MMO, not a world with the MMO's backstory". The good news is, as you note, it feels pretty authentic, unlike lots of "MMO" anime where it feels like the author just read a description of how MMOs work somewhere. The author definitely played MMOs and used his experience as inspiration for the story, and the story has some fun with "how would you build a civilization with MMO mechanics".
Well, I mean, I don't mind MMO analogues in my anime. I loved all the MMO callouts in Is It Wrong To Try And Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?, for example. It was just something about the specific way this anime implemented it in the early episodes that rubbed me (very very slightly) the wrong way.

They're starting to win me over since I wrote my earlier post, though.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's an easter egg referencing Man With A Mission, the wolf-mask-wearing quintet who perform the song in the opening credits.
It's been awhile but I seem to recall that Log Horizon is absolutely full of in jokes and references (that mostly went right over my head) in the crowd scenes.

Freedom Geek

Transhuman Cyborg
Validated User
One weird thing, though: I find the TOTAL slavishness to the game medium vaguely off-putting in a way I cannot articulate (and, really, don't even fully understand). I don't think it's necessarily a fault with the anime, but I am baffled by my reaction to it. As I was watching the early episodes where they're finding out just how game-like their reality is now (e.g. Will actually respawn if killed, can't fight in certain areas, literal zone transitions, casting times and cooldowns, etc), it just felt off. I had a mildly negative reaction to it, but I couldn't tell you why. I think some of it has to do with the lowering of the stakes; we know nobody's gonna die, at worst they'll be inconvenienced. But that's not the whole of it, and I'm not sure what "the whole of it" actually is. More rumination required.
I had the exact same negative reaction. The respawning itself didn't bug me but I hated, for instance, the fact that only people with the Cooking "Job" could cook. I could buy, for instance, that people with the Cooking job could cook even if they had no idea how in real life and everyone else had to use their real skills but no you need the cooking job or it turns to mush. That makes it impossible to have both cooking and playing music as hobbies - you have to choose one and that's extremely depressing to me.

There are a lot of things I don't like about standard MMO mechanics and seeing them inflicted on real people was very offputting.
It actually bugged me enough that I had to put it down for a while after about 6 or 7 episodes (so before where you got to). I haven't yet picked it up again.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I had the exact same negative reaction. The respawning itself didn't bug me but I hated, for instance, the fact that only people with the Cooking "Job" could cook. I could buy, for instance, that people with the Cooking job could cook even if they had no idea how in real life and everyone else had to use their real skills but no you need the cooking job or it turns to mush. That makes it impossible to have both cooking and playing music as hobbies - you have to choose one and that's extremely depressing to me.

There are a lot of things I don't like about standard MMO mechanics and seeing them inflicted on real people was very offputting.
It actually bugged me enough that I had to put it down for a while after about 6 or 7 episodes (so before where you got to). I haven't yet picked it up again.
Spoilers for season 2...
Spoiler: Show
Things start slowly changing for the adventurers after a few months. The Game Mechanics start loosening a little, and one of the results of this is people starting to be able to learn things outside their professions.
Spoiler: Show

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
A lot of this game reminds me of EQ2. Especially the character classes. It's not a perfect match, but a lot of it maps pretty well.
I want to say that the author's experience was with something really old school, like Ultima Online. But don't quote me on that.

Top Bottom