• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I want to say that the author's experience was with something really old school, like Ultima Online. But don't quote me on that.
He may have played UO back in the day, but the mechanics on the screen are much more modern. A lot of the concepts they're using in the anime didn't even exist back when UO was popular. The stuff in the anime is coming from WOW-generation games (or newer). Probably from Aion or Lineage II.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had the exact same negative reaction. The respawning itself didn't bug me but I hated, for instance, the fact that only people with the Cooking "Job" could cook. I could buy, for instance, that people with the Cooking job could cook even if they had no idea how in real life and everyone else had to use their real skills but no you need the cooking job or it turns to mush. That makes it impossible to have both cooking and playing music as hobbies - you have to choose one and that's extremely depressing to me.

There are a lot of things I don't like about standard MMO mechanics and seeing them inflicted on real people was very offputting.
It actually bugged me enough that I had to put it down for a while after about 6 or 7 episodes (so before where you got to). I haven't yet picked it up again.
You know, that may be the source of my earlier disquiet, now that you mention it.

When you daydream about being transported into your favorite gameworld so you can be a hero, the underlying premise (at least for me) is that the world will work more or less like the real world, modulo magical effects and spells and whatnot. But fire will still work like fire, and meat will still cook like meat, and so on.

In Log Horizon, the characters are flesh-and-blood game avatars. They can only do the things in the game world that their characters could do in the game. It'd be like waking up in a game world and discovering that you can't climb a tree because that ability wasn't coded into the game. I was legitimately surprised in the beach episode that they could swim.

But, as I say, I've mostly gotten over it now. Especially since the protagonists are now poking at the edges of their limitations and finding ways around them. You might check the series out again, because it does get better.

Burgonet

Retired user
Validated User
Apologies if the series has already been mentioned here but Netflix recently put up the first series/part of Kengan Ashura last week and I finally got through it yesterday.
Its not for everybody! But if you're looking for an insane macho-fantasy involving 'the world's best fighters' as a satire on the modern natures of the corporate world and beyond I can highly recommend it.

But best avoid if you're squeamish - while actual death is fairly rare, actual and detailed injuries are entirely brutal to watch unfold in super-slow motion.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I want to say that the author's experience was with something really old school, like Ultima Online. But don't quote me on that.
Iirc Sword Art Online’s creator was a UO player- which reflects in stuff like ‘lower level players are junk, the top tiers completely blow them away,’ stuff where it’s a grind to the endgame.

Log Horizon does play with solidly more modern mechanics designed more on teamwork and where the lower levels get beanies to be rewarding too.

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
Apologies if the series has already been mentioned here but Netflix recently put up the first series/part of Kengan Ashura last week and I finally got through it yesterday.
Its not for everybody! But if you're looking for an insane macho-fantasy involving 'the world's best fighters' as a satire on the modern natures of the corporate world and beyond I can highly recommend it.

But best avoid if you're squeamish - while actual death is fairly rare, actual and detailed injuries are entirely brutal to watch unfold in super-slow motion.
I read the manga and it is amazing (I'm following the sequel series) so maybe I'll check it out later.

Shay Guy

Validated User
I still dislike it because the consequences don't stop it
Wasn't there a whole arc in El Goonish Shive about how making a running gag about inappropriate behavior swiftly leading to comic violence helps frame the inappropriate behavior as harmless and inconsequential?

Bicorn

Validated User
Putting my musings on Log Horizon in a spoilerblock because I'm not sure if you're far enough yet that the things they refer to are no longer spoilers.
Spoiler: Show
Part of what I found intriguing about it was the whole ambiguity about "is this a real alternate world that resembles a MMO, or a literal MMO brought to life?" It's also a catalyst for some plot threads, like some players not caring about harming the People of the Land because "they're just NPCs" and others saying that no, they're actual people and deserve to be treated as such. And it's left uncertain which side is right.

Burgonet

Retired user
Validated User
I read the manga and it is amazing (I'm following the sequel series) so maybe I'll check it out later.
I didn't know of the manga until the anime - but it's painfully obvious from the anime that the manga came first.
The character designs are very good, highly-stylised and the story is very heavy of the plot dump of backstory during the fight itself.
My favourite character is the salaryman archetype - mostly as I can't help but root for the fish-out-of-water character who is well and truly in over his or her head.

Spot the 49 year old man in suit and glasses I am rooting for.

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
My favourite character is the salaryman archetype - mostly as I can't help but root for the fish-out-of-water character who is well and truly in over his or her head.

Spot the 49 year old man in suit and glasses I am rooting for.
I think Yamashita is everyone's favorite character, really. He is still there in the sequel, and still awesome, just so you know.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am now at the halfway point of season 2 of Log Horizon.

There is a truly excessive amount of people in this anime tragically yearning in secret for other people. Shouryuu is crushing on Marie, Marie is crushing on Naotsugu, Serara is crushing on Nyanta, and Minori, Akatsuki, and Henrietta are all three crushing on Shiroe. This alone is enough to annoy me, but it is made even worse by the fact that three of the girls look like they're 11 years old. And one of them (Minori) is explicitly mentioned as being a middle schooler in real life.

I realize that as a middle-aged American man, I am not the target market for these works. But man, would it kill them to resolve at least a few of these romantic quandaries in a grown-up fashion? Bonus points if the resolutions involve Nyanta and/or Shiroe explaining that, while they appreciate the other person's feelings, tween girls just don't turn their crank.

Also: Tetra is SUPER annoying. And problematic. Whenever she's on-screen, I count the seconds until she's gone.

Other than that, I love this show now. My earlier disquiet has been completely forgotten. I still haven't watched much anime in the grand scheme of things. The only other isekai I've watched so far has been Reincarnated as a Slime. So I dunno how deep they get into the MMO tropes. But THIS show is very much a love letter to MMOs. The speech William Massachusetts gives to his raid members to keep them from giving up? That came straight from the heart of a true MMO gamer. Loved it. It's got me in the mood to try and set up Project 1999 on my laptop after I'm done watching it.

Putting my musings on Log Horizon in a spoilerblock because I'm not sure if you're far enough yet that the things they refer to are no longer spoilers.
Part of what I found intriguing about it was the whole ambiguity about "is this a real alternate world that resembles a MMO, or a literal MMO brought to life?" It's also a catalyst for some plot threads, like some players not caring about harming the People of the Land because "they're just NPCs" and others saying that no, they're actual people and deserve to be treated as such. And it's left uncertain which side is right.
Given how the show treats Princess Lenessia and Rudy, I'd say it comes down pretty firmly on the side of "They're human just like us." I guess that could change over the next 12-13 episodes, though.

Top Bottom