• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, I just ran into the character who was actually a gold farming bot that just happened to be online and running when the Big Oops happened. That is amazing.

Bicorn

Validated User
I agree that it's probably the conclusion the viewer is intended to side with, but it keeps it ambiguous enough not to make the other side obviously wrong, at least early on.
Edit: and yes, the bot character is interesting, and her existence in the new world raises even more questions.

And one of them (Minori) is explicitly mentioned as being a middle schooler in real life.
Minori is a minor. I've wondered more than once if it was an intentional pun.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wasn't there a whole arc in El Goonish Shive about how making a running gag about inappropriate behavior swiftly leading to comic violence helps frame the inappropriate behavior as harmless and inconsequential?
Yea, the reason the 'magic hammers of smacking a perv' exist was to encourage, not discourage, pervy hijinks.

Okay, I just ran into the character who was actually a gold farming bot that just happened to be online and running when the Big Oops happened. That is amazing.
I have not gotten there yet (I'm on novel version), that's gonna be something :)

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another one of the same group was someone who based his character on Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but they had to change it for the anime due to copyrights.

Mega Negi

Validated User
I had the exact same negative reaction. The respawning itself didn't bug me but I hated, for instance, the fact that only people with the Cooking "Job" could cook. I could buy, for instance, that people with the Cooking job could cook even if they had no idea how in real life and everyone else had to use their real skills but no you need the cooking job or it turns to mush. That makes it impossible to have both cooking and playing music as hobbies - you have to choose one and that's extremely depressing to me.

There are a lot of things I don't like about standard MMO mechanics and seeing them inflicted on real people was very offputting.
It actually bugged me enough that I had to put it down for a while after about 6 or 7 episodes (so before where you got to). I haven't yet picked it up again.
Actually, in order to produce food, the PC needed both the cooking craft skill and the real world expertise to perform it without resorting to in game commands. There were other PCs that had cooking class levels that couldn't make edible food until they stopped relying on the game system and started using real world cooking techniques. What the in game cooking job regulated was whether they could make complicated food items or not.

Also, it is possible to swap out non-adventuring classes. Minori started out as a leatherworker and changed to apprentice. It seems that you can have as many subclasses as you want but you'll only level up in whatever one is currently selected.

Last edited:

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
That whole group is fantastic.

Coppelia is, as you noted, a Gold Farming Bot that gained sentience.
Elias Hackblade was an NPC Knight who was a major Lore character in Elder Tales and was featured on the Box Art for the game.
Leonardo patterened his character after a freaking Ninja Turtle (though for copyright reasons, they changed it to a frog for the anime).
And Kanami herself is basically the "shouty shonen protagonist" that you would expect to be the Main Character of an anime.

I would kill for a Season 3 just so we could get more of this group. :)

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User

Elias Hackblade was an NPC Knight who was a major Lore character in Elder Tales and was featured on the Box Art for the game.
Leonardo patterened his character after a freaking Ninja Turtle (though for copyright reasons, they changed it to a frog for the anime).
And Kanami herself is basically the "shouty shonen protagonist" that you would expect to be the Main Character of an anime.

She’s also another blatant Journey to the West reference... as is her party’s journey to the, uh, East.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another one of the same group was someone who based his character on Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but they had to change it for the anime due to copyrights.

Froggy-nardo is also American, which I thought was interesting. I wondered if there was any subtext regarding him being an American and also him being very much in the "Who gives a shit, they're just NPCs?" camp.

But really, while the rest of the group is certainly cool, having a character be a gold-farming bot come to life is a stroke of genius. As Bicorn says, so many interesting implications, and so many questions to be answered.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Froggy-nardo is also American, which I thought was interesting. I wondered if there was any subtext regarding him being an American and also him being very much in the "Who gives a shit, they're just NPCs?" camp.
It's been a bit, but I don't think they really get too far into Leo's backstory here.

But yeah, he's American, from New York City (Big Apple). About a month after the Catastrophe, Real Food Preperation was discovered, and everything devolved into "Riots and lynching" due to factions in the city trying to keep the method secret.Leo decided he wanted no part of it and hopped a Fairy Ring, which randomly deposited him in China. Unfortunately, he ended up in a small village with no other players in it (and few to no NPCs). He triggered an event that caused enemies to continuously spawn and beseige the town, and was trapped there because of it (He kept respawning there after dying). He was eventually rescued by Kanami.

I would LOVE to see more views of things from other areas. Elder Tales is a strange game in the way it's set up, as each continent has some unique themeing, content, and even classes.

Top Bottom