• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Mega Negi

Validated User
I always wondered what server specific classes (Japan's Samurai and Shrine Maiden) did when they jumped servers to one that didn't support them...

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I always wondered what server specific classes (Japan's Samurai and Shrine Maiden) did when they jumped servers to one that didn't support them...
From the Log Horizon Wiki page:

Elder Tale was originally an American MMORPG created by Atharva Inc., a Los Angeles-based company. Over time, as Elder Tale's popularity grew, the number of servers expanded up to 13, when Elder Tale became a fully-global MMO with a server on every continent. Each server has its own company running the game, coming up with their own special events, classes, and subclasses. However, transferring to another server is as simple as taking a Teleport Gate or a Fairy Ring to another server, having no restrictions. Furthermore, to allow better communication between players, there is a highly-accurate automatic translator that works even for voice chat.

The Japanese version of Elder Tale costs 7800 yen (~$65 USD) for the all-in-one pack, which includes the basic pack plus all the expansions. Each expansion costs anywhere from 5400 to 6200 yen (~$45–52), and the monthly fee is 1600 yen (~$13).
There's some interesting stuff regarding the other servers, such as the Korean server being the only Free To Play server and having a cash shop. Plus Mare TRanquilis, the Moon, as a hidden 14th server that was used as the Test Server.

Freedom Geek

Transhuman Cyborg
Validated User
I think region specific classes (or subclasses) would honestly annoy me to no end as a concept. Like even if I'd never want to choose them the fact that I couldn't would just make me not want to play the game at all.

Last edited:

Mega Negi

Validated User
What I don't get is that they make a big deal about making the point that NPCs are human in S1 and that the PCs are the abnormal ones. But in S2 they drop the bomb that NPCs know collectively only the 42 tracks of music included in the game OST. Apparently, despite having musicians (and ostensibly bards) within their ranks, NPCs cannot compose music. The notion that NPCs are restricted by what the game devs implemented really undermines the S1 message that they are fully human. I really hope that S3 (fingers crossed) addresses this disconnect.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
According to the Log Horizon wiki, they become a subclass. The Shrine Maidens are a variant of the Medium class. So if a Shrine Maiden transported themselves to a different server, they'd become a Medium with Shrine Maiden as a subclass. Not sure what effect, if any, this would have on actual gameplay.

Samurais are a variant of the Pirate class.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What I don't get is that they make a big deal about making the point that NPCs are human in S1 and that the PCs are the abnormal ones. But in S2 they drop the bomb that NPCs know collectively only the 42 tracks of music included in the game OST. Apparently, despite having musicians (and ostensibly bards) within their ranks, NPCs cannot compose music. The notion that NPCs are restricted by what the game devs implemented really undermines the S1 message that they are fully human. I really hope that S3 (fingers crossed) addresses this disconnect.
I don't think there's any conflict there. The Catastrophe created humans out of NPCs and gave them memories to match what had transpired in the game world up to that point. And up until the Catastrophe, they only had the 42 songs and that's all they know. Now that they're fully human, who knows? The kids were humming Isuzu's song, and we've seen how NPC cooks learned how to cook real food from the adventurers.

Even if they can't, I'm cool with "These are humans with some unusual restrictions due to their origin".

Mega Negi

Validated User
I don't think there's any conflict there. The Catastrophe created humans out of NPCs and gave them memories to match what had transpired in the game world up to that point. And up until the Catastrophe, they only had the 42 songs and that's all they know. Now that they're fully human, who knows? The kids were humming Isuzu's song, and we've seen how NPC cooks learned how to cook real food from the adventurers.

Even if they can't, I'm cool with "These are humans with some unusual restrictions due to their origin".
Even that runs afoul of the concept that NPCs are truly human. If they are simply created simulations of humans then do they deserve human rights? Or are they, as described by one of the Geniuses, simply personality software? You'd think with the infinitely respawning demihumans and monsters all around and the NPCs unable to respawn, eventually they would get wiped out. Unless they are going to be replaced with virtually identical NPCs with nearly identical backstories and personalities the moment no PC is looking.

If the aliens that theoretically caused all of this to happen are really in it to harvest empathions from everyone, then why did they need the catastrophe in the first place? Apparently, NPCs generate MP/empathions too. And they are a lot easier to handle, as they aren't going to be as unpredictable and unruly as PCs.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Even that runs afoul of the concept that NPCs are truly human. If they are simply created simulations of humans then do they deserve human rights? Or are they, as described by one of the Geniuses, simply personality software? You'd think with the infinitely respawning demihumans and monsters all around and the NPCs unable to respawn, eventually they would get wiped out. Unless they are going to be replaced with virtually identical NPCs with nearly identical backstories and personalities the moment no PC is looking.

If the aliens that theoretically caused all of this to happen are really in it to harvest empathions from everyone, then why did they need the catastrophe in the first place? Apparently, NPCs generate MP/empathions too. And they are a lot easier to handle, as they aren't going to be as unpredictable and unruly as PCs.
The fact they have personalities and learn puts them at people by most measures of the word.

Also the NPCs, aside from being protected by adventurers and having a replacement rate, do have a subgroup, the Ancients, who're of PC-ish level ability, and they do have heroes. Because some quests are "Hero X wants to deal with Y but they aren't quite enough on their own," or "military unit is trapped and needs a rescue," and it'd feel ridiculous if some unit in the level 20s like most soldiers/knights was running around in a level 80 area asking for help from level 80s as if it was 'help' and not 'total carry'.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I imagine it’s been mentioned, but a recent YT video reminded my that the pretty excellent Anohana is on Netflix. It’s a shortish anime in part about grief.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User

The anime presents them as human. The way it treats Rudy and Lenissia in particular. We are treated to Lenissia's internal monologues, her hopes, her dreams, her desire to lay around in flannel pajamas. Saving Rudy and making him an Adventurer was a Big Deal(tm). You don't send those kinds of signals in your work if you're not trying to sell the audience on the notion that the NPCs are human too.

Top Bottom