• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Okay, you lot. Recommend me some anime!

Bicorn

Validated User
What I don't get is that they make a big deal about making the point that NPCs are human in S1 and that the PCs are the abnormal ones. But in S2 they drop the bomb that NPCs know collectively only the 42 tracks of music included in the game OST. Apparently, despite having musicians (and ostensibly bards) within their ranks, NPCs cannot compose music. The notion that NPCs are restricted by what the game devs implemented really undermines the S1 message that they are fully human. I really hope that S3 (fingers crossed) addresses this disconnect.
That's part of the ambiguity I mentioned, yes. Also how a gold-farming bot somehow gained sapience. It's got potential to dig pretty deep into the classic scifi "what it means to be a person" conundrum.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Even this argument is presuming a lot: are Shiroe and the rest really human either? Or are they simply copies of the people they were - instantiated into Elder Tales to be represented as their avatars? There's nothing in the series that suggests anyone was physically transformed and transported to another world, or had their mind trapped in a virtuality.

What is the difference between PC, NPC and Gold-Bot? Is there one? Are they all human? Or are all three just creations spun-up by the same phenomenon? And in the end, does it even matter...?

Mega Negi

Validated User
The anime presents them as human. The way it treats Rudy and Lenissia in particular. We are treated to Lenissia's internal monologues, her hopes, her dreams, her desire to lay around in flannel pajamas. Saving Rudy and making him an Adventurer was a Big Deal(tm). You don't send those kinds of signals in your work if you're not trying to sell the audience on the notion that the NPCs are human too.
I agree, which is why I am extremely puzzled over the disconnect between them being fully fleshed out human beings and yet, not a single one of them has ever been capable of creating a song.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I agree, which is why I am extremely puzzled over the disconnect between them being fully fleshed out human beings and yet, not a single one of them has ever been capable of creating a song.
I chalk that up to the Catastrophe creating memories that match the in-game history of the world. Regan tells Shiroe that Shiroe has 98 years of history in Theldesia, for example.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Even this argument is presuming a lot: are Shiroe and the rest really human either? Or are they simply copies of the people they were - instantiated into Elder Tales to be represented as their avatars? There's nothing in the series that suggests anyone was physically transformed and transported to another world, or had their mind trapped in a virtuality.

What is the difference between PC, NPC and Gold-Bot? Is there one? Are they all human? Or are all three just creations spun-up by the same phenomenon? And in the end, does it even matter...?
I think that's going a little far down the rabbit hole, personally. The anime, at least, doesn't give off any signals that it's going in that direction. The second season of the anime ends with

(spoilered for Q99's benefit)

Spoiler: Show
Shiroe resolving not only to find a way out of the game world and back into the real world, but also to find a way back into the game world from the real world. Because Kanami wants her real-world daughter to experience all of the awesomely cool shit she herself has gotten to experience since the Catastrophe.

It would be a significant case of emotional bait-and-switch to lay that kind of groundwork and then pull the rug out from under the audience with a "Shiroe and all his pals are really just constructs created by a delusional AI" reveal.

Last edited:

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's part of the ambiguity I mentioned, yes. Also how a gold-farming bot somehow gained sapience. It's got potential to dig pretty deep into the classic scifi "what it means to be a person" conundrum.
One question that the story is perfectly positioned to ask is "how do you handle knowing that you used to be a fictional character?".

-There's a scene in season 2 where the protagonists openly discuss in front of Regan the fact that they are trapped in a game.

-Rudy is involved in the conversation the kids have about going back to the real world, and is later shown having an in-depth discussion with Isuzu about her real life prior to the Catastrophe.

-The Elder Tales box cover mascot character shows up, and apparently he knows full well that he is a fictional character come to life.

If the blurb on the back cover of the latest LN is any indication, the author is actually going to explore this issue to some degree.

Bicorn

Validated User
Did you catch the apparent pun in Rudy's name, by the way?
Rundelhaus Code = rundll house_code

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Did you catch the apparent pun in Rudy's name, by the way?
Rundelhaus Code = rundll house_code
I assumed it was something to do with building safety inspections or something, but your explanation also works.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Have you met Roe2 yet? She gums the discussion up a fair bit too, once you learn who she was and who she is.

Top Bottom