Old, old 80s D&D knockoff stuff

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
The Lejentia thread reminded me of an old, old series of boxed sets I bought in the Eighties. Anybody remember this?

Look here under the Beast Enterprises entry.

Bipolar Bear

The Saddest/Happiest Bear
Validated User
I bought a copy of one of the original edition Thieves' Guild books. Dripping with 80s gamer nostalgia...

E.T.Smith

A Most Sincere Poseur
Validated User
My collecting over the last few years has developed a strong favor towards "Dawn of the Dungeons" ephemera. This is stuff I don't even intend to play,I just like its weird late 70's, early 80's vibe of it.

Some stuff from my stash I can recall:

The "Challenges" rpg system, a complete note-for-note imitation of AD&D in 8 glossy pages. Written by James Ward, a TSR regular, I think it existed mainly so MR. Ward could write AD&D adventures outside of TSR.

The Basic Arduin book, a big bright softback that is aklmost exactly like Basic D&D, except where its completely different.

Tunnels & Trolls, natch, lots of Tunnels & Trolls. I can't praise the late lmented T&T magazine Sorcerer's Apprentice enough.

More when I get home and go through my boxes...

Skiorht

Despair Shouter
Validated User
Umm... Wasn't the series later converted for WHFRP as the Doomstones campaign? I owned the second instalment, Shrine of Kazar Khan (or something like it), and when I was playing the Doomstones campaign I recognized some elements.

BabbageCliologic

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 Zog Zog
Validated User
The Lejentia thread reminded me of an old, old series of boxed sets I bought in the Eighties. Anybody remember this?

Look here under the Beast Enterprises entry.
"Delf Games
One item called "Lair of the Medusa", copyrighted 1982. This one was written by Kelly Vilemaire and John Edwards. The artwork was done by Eric Hotz, who also worked as artist for TSR, ICE, White Wolf, Columbia Games and others (he made lots of artwork for Harn!). James Sinks has exchanged a few mails with him, and forwarded me the relevant parts:

So to answer your question - Yes, I am the Eric Hotz who illustrated the DELF adventure module, "Lair of the Medusa". I still have the original artwork stored away somewhere, although I doubt if I actually have a copy of the printed module. There weren't any others published, but there were two others planned: "The Battle for Dwarf Mountain", and "Lizards...something" (about Lizard men living in a swamp). My wife drew the cover art for "The Battle for Dwarf Mountain". Neither of these two adventures were (*one or more lines missing here*) lived and Ben got divorced four months later. Neither, as far as I know, ever did anything connected with gaming again, except Ben did open a game store early last year."

I've got this one: Lair of Medusa!

IIRC, the goal was to wander through this castle built into a cliff face and gather some gems to do something with to end all the evil. It's not too bad. I'll have to dig it out and take a look again.

It's got an ad for "Battle for Dwarf Mountain" but nothing on the Lizard one. Hmmm.

/BC

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
Umm... Wasn't the series later converted for WHFRP as the Doomstones campaign? I owned the second instalment, Shrine of Kazar Khan (or something like it), and when I was playing the Doomstones campaign I recognized some elements.
I believe that they adapted elements of it. I played through the series (I remember looking and waiting for set 5, which was never published) without even knowing it was anything WH related.

MDarcy

Gamer for life
Validated User
Tunnels & Trolls, natch, lots of Tunnels & Trolls. I can't praise the late lmented T&T magazine Sorcerer's Apprentice enough.
Yeah...that was a beautiful mag...Dragon didn't get to that level until years later (and in many ways never).

Top Bottom