• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

One space marine per planet?

Proteus

Yours Pedantically
Validated User
In 40k there's no more than one Space Marine per Imperial world, by most estimates.

Does anyone have a link to a really old thread where someone sketched out a sci-fi universe where there was a lone space marine stationed on each planet?

Makrakken

Validated User
In 40k, it's possibly even less than one Marine per planet.

Presuming the generally accepted ~1,000 Chapters with ~1,000 Battle Brothers per Chapter, you're looking at ~1,000,000 Space Marines in the Imperium.

There are ~1,000,000 Planetary Governors, but many of these look after entire systems possibly comprised of several settled planets.

It might be the case that it's just one Marine per system! That's a big patrol area for a single Marine, but would make for a cool one player setting!

Others more versed in recent 40k canon might have more accurate info for you.

Ben W Bell

Analyst for hire.
Validated User
And the count of those planets run by governors don't include those run by the Navy or Mechanicus.

RobertEdwards

Validated User
I sometimes suspect that when Guilliman gets around to auditing the Space Marines Chapters, he'll find a billion underreported troops that weren't on the books.

It's a big old Imperium. If the Space Marines only show up in squad or company strength on any one planet, who would notice? Not the Ministrium, the Space Marines are independent. Some Inquisitors might have an inkling, but as long as the Marines keep busy killing heritics and aliens they won't rock the Space Hulk.

I sometimes suspect that when Guilliman gets around to auditing the Space Marines Chapters, he'll find a billion underreported troops that weren't on the books.

It's a big old Imperium. If the Space Marines only show up in squad or company strength on any one planet, who would notice? Not the Ministrium, the Space Marines are independent. Some Inquisitors might have an inkling, but as long as the Marines keep busy killing heritics and aliens they won't rock the Space Hulk.
Indeed. I'm not up to date on the latest lore, but I remember the Black Templars and the Space Wolves as examples of chapters that play fast and loose with the whole "1,000 Astartes per chapter" rule.

Dave999

Validated User
Like they're Texas Rangers or something? "Hell, ain't I enough? It's only one planet."
It's more like the Jedi.

There's only a handful of space marines but when they show up, they make their presence unambiguously known.

Spook

Burn the Heretic. Purge the unclean.
Validated User
Not to mention the Imperial Fists have contingencies in place to reform their Legion with their successors if shit gets bad enough, like they did in the War of the Beast.

The Dark Angels successors seem to mostly be pretending to be successors, and will follow the Fist Founding leaderships lead in all things Unforgiven.

Heck tons of the Ultramarine successors pledge themselves to their spiritual liege: the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines.

Then you have the Deathwatch, which no one really knows how many marines are a part of it, and they take black shields which can be penitant traitor astartes.

Makrakken

Validated User
The Black Templars used to be much bigger, with several Crusades of over 1,000 Battle Brothers on the go scattered about the Galaxy. However, I believe that in current canon, those numbers have been reduced.

The Space Wolves had a contretemps with the Inquisition & then Magnus & his Thousand Sons had a good go at Fenris, which has reduced the Furries' numbers immensely in addition to affecting their recruiting.

And good points about planets not ruled by the Administratum - there's Space Marine worlds, Mechanicus worlds, Ecclesiastical worlds, worlds run by Rogue Trader dynasties, probably Naval worlds & Imperial Guard worlds. And probably worlds secretly ruled by the Adeptus Telepathica, Inquisition, Assassin Temples & possibly even Sisters of Battle & Navigator families.

Last edited:

Rose Embolism

Validated User
One Space Marine per planet sounds more like something out of Lensman or Green Lantern. It sounds like it would have great potential outside of Wzh40K.

"I'm the Space Marine for Sector 616. I hear you have a problem on this planet?"

Top Bottom