• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Online Elite Dangerous community brings joy to a young teen’s last days

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This one’s a real tearjerker. Sounds like last month the players and developers of Online Elite went above and beyond to bring joy to a dying kid whose main diversion was their game.

In Michael’s last week of life, thanks to the Elite Dangerous player community, a whole network of new friends sprang up in our darkest hour and made things more bearable with a magnificent display of empathy, kindness and creativity. I know it was Michael’s wish to celebrate the generosity he was shown, so I’ve written this account of how Frontier and friends made the intolerable last days of a 15-year-old boy infinitely better.

Rainfall

Validated User
They did good. I don't think I can add anything more meaningful. They did good.

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
They've done in-game memorials a couple of times. You can fly to Pratchett's Disk or Leonard Nimoy Station. Then again, they didn't actually play the game...

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
"His buoyant mood helped him walk from the oncology ward down to the food concourse, a feat he hadn’t managed for weeks."

The exact moment where I started crying. By the end, I was bawling.

Good job, nerds, and may all the gods bless you.

Burgonet

Retired user
Validated User
I don't play Elite anymore but it's good to see the community with the game is as good-natured as I recall it being during my time as a player.

Top Bottom