[OOC] Lancer: Planet of the Monsters

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
This is the OOC thread for the Planet of the Monsters campaign.
Initial roster is: [MENTION=172553]Dude_Normal[/MENTION], [MENTION=17725]blackthought[/MENTION], [MENTION=72128]talam[/MENTION], [MENTION=15056]HardKore Keltoid[/MENTION], [MENTION=170471]Ominous presence[/MENTION]
If anyone else comes up in the recruitment thread, I'll add them to the reserves.

I'll post later some basic background info, as well as some thoughts on what kinds of training/augmentation the characters have.

Lancer augments:
In the core it's not specified just how much augmentation pilots receive, but here's my take on it:

- Muscle & bone augmentation: your bones, ligaments and muscles receive extense enchancements. As a result, your bones are a lot harder to break, and you're twice as strong as you'd normally be. As a side effect, you weight twice what you should and you need triple the nutrients a normal human would.
- Nerve enhancement: your speed of perception and fine motor skills are vastly improved. You're about three times as fast as a baseline human and have superior agility and motor skills.
- Improved immune system & internal organs: you can easily filter most poisons and toxins, and your blood clots faster. This makes you very resistant to internal injures, poisoning and helps you recover from trauma faster. The downside is that it's almost impossible to get drunk.
- Subdermal implants: you've got nano-carbon structures weaved under your skin. The result is that you're almost impervious to concussive impacts, and it takes some very sharp implements to penetrate your skin. You're not exactly bulletproof, but you can easily survive being shot.
- Cerebral boosting: cloned brain matter added directly to your brain, as well as improved synaptic boosters. As a result, you can react faster, learn faster, have better memory and being overall smarter and more intuitive. You also need less sleep, about four hours a day.
- Internal comms: implanted directly into your brain. You can communicate with your squadmates, share video or images in real time of what you're seeing and audio of what you're hearing, or store it for future use. It can do what a modern tablet does, but it can't be used to control you or your perception. It has a series of ports on the base of the skull to allow connectivity for other systems, as well as external storage devices.
- Neural rig: a series of dataports connected to your brain and spinal column. This is the interface for your hard suit and the single reason you can control your mech as if it were your own body.

Overall, as a lancer, you're faster, stronger and more resilient than a baseline human, but nowhere near superhero levels. This is considered the minimum necessary to survive mech combat.

Last edited:

Ominous presence

Validated User
Harvey Springfield.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vosbnwf3ool9pdk/Harvey.pdf?dl=0

An aspiring geologist, Harvey was selected to be a mech pilot after passing mandatory screening to enter university. Free college was part of the deal, so he gladly signed up. He was rapidly disillusioned after seeing members of the class ahead of him get deployed for a "peacekeeping mission". Wanting no part in being used as a government killing machine, Harvey jumped at the chance to go off world as part of a colony ship's defense detail. His geology degree got him on board for surveying, to determine ideal colony locations and mining potential.

Harvey is naturally bright and inquisitive and generally tries to avoid interpersonal conflict, though he stops short of conceding on anything he morally opposes.

Graograman

Validated User
Harvey Springfield.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vosbnwf3ool9pdk/Harvey.pdf?dl=0

An aspiring geologist, Harvey was selected to be a mech pilot after passing mandatory screening to enter university. Free college was part of the deal, so he gladly signed up. He was rapidly disillusioned after seeing members of the class ahead of him get deployed for a "peacekeeping mission". Wanting no part in being used as a government killing machine, Harvey jumped at the chance to go off world as part of a colony ship's defense detail. His geology degree got him on board for surveying, to determine ideal colony locations and mining potential.

Harvey is naturally bright and inquisitive and generally tries to avoid interpersonal conflict, though he stops short of conceding on anything he morally opposes.
The build looks good, though I've noticed you've added a drone nexus, but your pilot doesn't have any drone-related talents. You might want to consider swapping one for drone commander if you're going to focus on using drones, since the extra sensor range is very handy. Other than that, it looks good.

blackthought

Validated User
The build looks good, though I've noticed you've added a drone nexus, but your pilot doesn't have any drone-related talents. You might want to consider swapping one for drone commander if you're going to focus on using drones, since the extra sensor range is very handy. Other than that, it looks good.
My original pitch was a space mechanic, which would have some significant overlap with what you're doing. I'm fine with changing this up, but I wanted to check in with Graograman first. The main ideas I'm into are growing up completely space-born and blowing stuff up. How would you feel about me fusing a couple concepts together to get something like a starship pilot who spent most of his or her time flying a bomber?

Graograman

Validated User
My original pitch was a space mechanic, which would have some significant overlap with what you're doing. I'm fine with changing this up, but I wanted to check in with Graograman first. The main ideas I'm into are growing up completely space-born and blowing stuff up. How would you feel about me fusing a couple concepts together to get something like a starship pilot who spent most of his or her time flying a bomber?
Backgrounds are quite simple, so I have absolutely no problem with you creating a new one that better fits your purposes, go ahead.

Dude_Normal

Validated User
Question about items, You said when we chose our hard-suit weapon we got both ranged and melee. Does that take up two slots or am I misreading pilot and hard-suit weapons? Also is it possible for one of Jonah's personal items to be a bandoleer of grenades? I'm not sure what bonuses it would give to against mech's but the guy I'm basing my character was a bit unhinged and carried a grenade for his everyday carry so I figured I'd give my character wayyy to many explosives in his combat kit.

Last edited:

Graograman

Validated User
Question about items, You said when we chose our hard-suit weapon we got both ranged and melee. Does that take up two slots or am I misreading pilot and hard-suit weapons? Also is it possible for one of Jonah's personal items to be a bandoleer of grenades? I'm not sure what bonuses it would give to against mech's but the guy I'm basing my character was a bit unhinged and carried a grenade for his everyday carry so I figured I'd give my character wayyy to many explosives in his combat kit.
Rules are a bit unclear on that point, but I'm just going to assume your hardsuit weapons don't take up a item slot. On the bandolier of grenades, I don't think they'll do much, as it's stated on the core rules that hardsuit weapons are the only personnel weapons that might damage a mech. I think you'd be better off choosing your ranged weapon damage type as explosive.
Or maybe having some demolition-grade explosives as part as of your items. The drawback is that such explosives would have to be armed first, which might make them tricky to use in combat, but might come in handy if you want to set an ambush.

Dude_Normal

Validated User
Rules are a bit unclear on that point, but I'm just going to assume your hardsuit weapons don't take up a item slot. On the bandolier of grenades, I don't think they'll do much, as it's stated on the core rules that hardsuit weapons are the only personnel weapons that might damage a mech. I think you'd be better off choosing your ranged weapon damage type as explosive.
Or maybe having some demolition-grade explosives as part as of your items. The drawback is that such explosives would have to be armed first, which might make them tricky to use in combat, but might come in handy if you want to set an ambush.
Right so we still get the Hardsuit weapons and three extra items then. I just saw part of the rulebook saying a Bandoleer of grenades did 1d6 damage even when used by a normal human. Probably just gonna mark my ranged weapon as a bunch of grenades and my melee as some kind of pick then.

Graograman

Validated User
Right so we still get the Hardsuit weapons and three extra items then. I just saw part of the rulebook saying a Bandoleer of grenades did 1d6 damage even when used by a normal human. Probably just gonna mark my ranged weapon as a bunch of grenades and my melee as some kind of pick then.
Huh, I totally missed that example in the core book :eek: Go ahead and pick grenades as your ranged weapon.
As for the hardsuit, that's correct. You get two weapons + three discrete items of your choice - six if you take the grease monkey talent. An extra hardsuit weapon takes 1 item.

Top Bottom