[OOC] [SWN] Delta Drop

KnockingBox

Validated User
Wow, Ifemelu almost doubled her HP with that roll! The warrior monk is finding her space legs. I boosted Combat (Ghost Walker) from 1 to 2 and have 3 points banked. That puts her base unarmed damage at 1d10(+2) and sets her Evasion save to 13. Also boosted Precognition to 4 and Telepathy to 2.

During the downtime between missions, If offers to train the Egunans in Ghost Walker style for a modest trainer's fee. Combat-oriented movement in tight spaces, holdout weapon if they're disarmed, teambuilding morale boost exercise, and gosh darn it, maybe the teacher will learn something from the students.

While we're thinking about next steps: I'm interested in at least this next mission on Latsari, and hopefully crossing paths with an enemy psychic! After we hit 5 and have a big road to climb again, what would be a good way to make some serious money? I like the idea of making a pilgrimage toward Karamanlis (I wanna get psychic training credentials there at Level 6 and start taking on some students, especially for a fee), but it's way at the bottom of the sector and might be easier in a Drive-2 or more ship. We're still in the Allied Worlds for now, so maybe we could go to their capital next hex over in Gainko next? If we're savvy, we could make some money manufacturing a few of our postech blueprints on a world with the infrastructure for it. Or buying+shipping valuable postech cargo to a nearby world like Megara, or ship medical supplies to a low tech world that needs them.

I would love to rough it on a harsh planet as an ascetic exercise and see some weird space stuff, since there's at least one achievement for that and If would find it enlightening. But I think we'll need a better spike drive to get to a TL0 world. I'd love to meet an alien race and flex that Telepathy, but that's really down to chance. I absolutely want If to commune mentally with Ursula before we leave the Allied Worlds for good!

Trying to visit new planets can only help us. Nouri and Tecmessa are in the Allied Worlds, and if we strike out to a 5th one we'll get an achievement.

Here's a goal to consider: we could buy the Drive-2 upgrade for the Comstock for 100k, the Survey Sensor Array for 50k, and aim for the "complete survey of a star system" achievement on a nearby lostworld hex like Arcesilids (Wild West flying cities!) or Azaria (evocatively horrible post-apocalyptic system!). There's probably something cool on one of those places!

Last edited:

Naed Yar

Validated User
To make money (money with a capital $$), I believe we need to:

• find something valuable
  • be able to manufacture something AND run a business
  • be able to buy/sell goods AND make a profit
  • conduct a heist on something valuable

Marc G.

Validated User
I'm definitely hoping the Egunans will pay us enough to get the Drive upgrade with room to spare, as that would open up our options. For future income, I think that shipping is the one most likely to be within our reach. I agree with Gainko to Magara as a solid route for that, and would also suggest Hallfrid as a nearish TL3 system with valuable exports for the return trip.

Regarding our current mission, I assume we're saying yes, and we should come up with something resembling a plan. Options I can think of are 1) Infiltrate in captured uniforms (dicey with enemy psychics around, plus I doubt there are many Horchog in the Taldean forces), 2) Cut power to the base and raid it in the confusion (Is their power source even external?) 3) Airdrop in to take them by surprise (Airdrop from what?)

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Those sound like some good ideas for the future, everybody. Concerning Egunan spoils, they're paying you (and will be paying more with If training their commandos), but overall, the really big money is Hero of the Rebellion stuff, which means sticking around long enough to break the Taldeans down. You might consider aggressively looting the command center, too.

Just for the record, it's been almost a week since anybody has posted in the IC thread, and planning and talking about the offered mission is something that can be conducted IC as well as in this thread. I know that leveling and transitioning between adventures is often a lull period, I just want to get the IC moving again going into the weekend.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Ugh, I boxed myself into needing to draw a map. I'll have a decent one up tomorrow. I think you guys need to talk through this a bit more, get a plan of action together. It's ok if your first step is recon; intel is limited. Some things to consider: the maintenance tunnels may be less guarded, the 'sky' is a solid dome a few hundred meters above the ground, hacking is definitely a thing, the base has to receive supplies from elsewhere.

Naed Yar

Validated User
Ugh, I boxed myself into needing to draw a map. I'll have a decent one up tomorrow. I think you guys need to talk through this a bit more, get a plan of action together. It's ok if your first step is recon; intel is limited. Some things to consider: the maintenance tunnels may be less guarded, the 'sky' is a solid dome a few hundred meters above the ground, hacking is definitely a thing, the base has to receive supplies from elsewhere.
If we don't have a map, you could at least do metes & bounds... :D

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Hardy-har har :D Honestly, I'm having trouble finding a map program I can both run and use effectively.

So, I'm going to try to describe it. The building is a rectangle. The ground floor has a reception area linking to a small gallery on one side and a salon (for enlightened conversation/vicious gossip) on the other. Behind that are common facilities, including a small cafeteria. The second floor was the actual atelier, and is basically a loft. It's one large, open room and should be where the command staff are actually strategizing from. The third floor has a number of small studios for work and living space, probably a small barracks now. The basement is smaller than the main building and is linked to the civic Feed (thanks for the name, Diamond Age!). The Feed is a sort of centralized pipeline containing lines for data, sewage, water and power. Feed tunnels have room for maintenance workers, but they're a known thing. Access to the tunnels is controlled by a pass system, but security is kind of dicey right now, given the civil war.

The security lines are just rings around the building. The fence is the smallest, and has a gate at the rear to receive supplies and personnel, alongside a small sentry post. The next line occupies the perimeter of the half-block, a group of field fortified soldiers with some machine gun support. The outermost layer of sensors and pop drones covers the adjacent blocks.

Does that help?

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Ok, right now we've got two votes for stealing a supply truck and two votes for using the tunnels. I'm going to give the group one more day to sort this out, after which I'll roll a die if we haven't decided which way to go.

rstites

Validated User
Wow. I've completely missed a couple of weeks. Sorry. I'll try to get caught up shortly.

Hardy-har har :D Honestly, I'm having trouble finding a map program I can both run and use effectively.
FYI, I've just hand drawn them before and scanned them for pbp games. It gets the point across.

Ok, right now we've got two votes for stealing a supply truck and two votes for using the tunnels. I'm going to give the group one more day to sort this out, after which I'll roll a die if we haven't decided which way to go.
I've barely gotten to read anything, but from what I've seen of politicians, you can get paid to vote on things with no knowledge of the issue-at-hand, so I can surely do the same here. I'd vote for the tunnel and hope it provides a bit more protection/cover/isolation. (Also, I rolled a die to determine my vote, but I just wanted to vote! ;) )

Top Bottom