• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Open D6] The Latest News from Hellsreach (Eric Gibson)

theltemes

Validated User
It's good to see that someone has taken the time to do what Eric should have done in the first place. I hate to be a sourpuss, but I'd recommend caution using the "fan created" Opend6 content.

I don't know how likely this scenario would be, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Since the copyright holder himself didn't actually add the OGL to the text, he could come back at some point and claim that it was an unauthorized release of his IP. I would recommend to any would-be publishers that one prints off and stores a copy of Eric's postings showing his approval of the OGL addition to his work and being put up for free download. Protect yourself first and worry about Eric's position second.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Taking a look at the magic book reminds me how the new system of making spells is massively over-complicated as compared to the rest of the D6 system.
Eh. Having a system that's even halfway detailed, has some attention to balance, and is at all flexible without massive GM handwaving is never going to be simple. A system that's used primarily in downtime doesn't need to be as simple as systems that are used actively in play.

Anatosuchus

Definitely not the Antichrist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is great - thanks Treetop. Can't wait for Space to become available.

AikiGhost

Keetoom of Dooom!!!
Validated User
Here is the developer's blog postings about Open D6's progress:

http://www.falconhat.com/category/opend6/
It seem like Eric is spending a huge amount of time on developing a technogy that he has not market researched a need for. This is bound to fail.

They should instead have been developing the and distributing the SRD documents and help for new authors.

Marketing 101 = market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, market research, Develop product and distribute.

Anything else is a mistake.

I love d6 and would hate to see it fail, but I think Eric is really going about this the wrong way. Nobody cares about a whizzy super clever CMS based system for generating your perfect customised SRD document, apart form Eric of course.

AikiGhost

Keetoom of Dooom!!!
Validated User
wouldnt it be a shrewd move to actually make some documents available to get some hype going and THEN go for the fancy stuff ?

or am I missing something in the whole process?
Agreed. It makes no sense whatsoever to do it this way around. Its the classic case of the guy who gets the great innovative idea for a new product and then without any market research goes ahead and spends 2 years of his life getting it to a working prototype stage only to find that nobody wants to buy it.

AikiGhost

Keetoom of Dooom!!!
Validated User
Eh. Having a system that's even halfway detailed, has some attention to balance, and is at all flexible without massive GM handwaving is never going to be simple. A system that's used primarily in downtime doesn't need to be as simple as systems that are used actively in play.
Its the using point based construction to create balance thing that makes it complex. The magic system in Talislanta for example is perfectly simple and does the flexible thing very well without that level of complexity.

Lubidius

Retired User
For Magic in D6 (any of the 3 core books) I tend to use the 'pre-calculated' spells as a guideline, and just adjust them for level of difficulty target loosely based upon the construction rules. (I'm lazy like that). If you adjust duration of spell, you take a little off effect. Etcetera. It's a basic give / take system. I like the magic system of D6 a great deal. It gives the spellcaster a goodly amount of room to make customized effects for a given "spell". You have the basic skill, then you have a difficulty target for the spell based upon it's root skill. If your setting requires a little more of this, or a little less of that, then just adjudicate it that way. The construction rules are useful if you are that type of personality that enjoys the minutiae. I think personally you can have similar results by using the pre-calculated spell chapter (of any of the d6 core books) and adjust with good ole fashion logic. I've seen in other threads on theses forums lately folks not liking the complexity of magic. I think that D6's magic system is one of the leanest around, if you take the "rule of thumb" method of creating spells as described here-in. It certainly plays well enough in action. Ironically, it is one of the more dynamic to boot. Each spell has certain attributes, and if you work with your GM, you can adjust it to suit your desires. In effect, you could have 100 variations of a fireball. Not just the one fireball spell as described in for example the d20 SRD.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Its the using point based construction to create balance thing that makes it complex. The magic system in Talislanta for example is perfectly simple and does the flexible thing very well without that level of complexity.
I'd care to put bets that your definition of "very well" and many other people are at odds here, but I'm not familiar with the current incarnation of Talislanta so I won't go beyond that.

Top Bottom