• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Opinions on DCC RPG

ExoKnight

Validated User
Opinions on DCC RPG? I've own a few of the books for the past year and just recently have been reading the core rules. I love the concept behind the game, although I am intimidated by all the charts. Anyone have actual play experience with the system? Is it clunky to run?

I'm currently running Labyrinth Lord and should be wrapping up in a month or so. I'm trying to figure out what I want to run next. I have run two DCC adventures converted to AD&D 2E last year. Tower of the Black Pearl and Sour Spring Hollow. Conversion was super easy.

Durandal

Rampant Construct
Validated User
I'm a huge fan of it. The use of weird dice is a great little thing that gets you in the mindset of someone delving in to the original edition when the classic set of dice we know today wasn't nearly as easy to find. It really got me in the mood to not only track down a proper set of Zocchi Dice, but I also had to crayon the pips in by hand which was a neat experience.

The rules themselves are pretty damn good as well. I think DCC contains probably the best solution to the OSR-style boring fighter I have ever seen with the Mighty Deeds of Arms system. It is hilarious because it outright mechanizes the old "well fighters can pull cool maneuvers and stuff" by actually making them more effective at it than any other class. They do it as a side effect of attacking instead of as a pre-calculated maneuver.

The spell system is also a really fun attempt at giving us a Warhammer Fantasy-style form of dangerous spell casting. It can be a bit clunky, but damn if it isn't super flavourful. Makes for a good S&S-style system where sorcerers end up be twisted, inhuman monsters as they gain power. The rest of the system is all pretty simple and feels like B/X-style D&D. And the concept of the "funnel" is wonderful for getting folks in to an old school frame of mind (especially the wargaming roots of it where having a whole group of people wasn't so weird). I find it also helps people get used to the idea of followers being a central part of the party. After folks get a load of how handy 15 level 0's can be they wont feel weird carting some along when they hit later levels. My group had great fun with the TPK we suffered running one of the intro modules. I should give it another go one of these days.

FluffyBunbunKittens

Banned
My favorite bits about DCC are the Mighty Deeds die (fighters and dwarves are just better at fighting, it easily mechanizes going for combat tricks) and the more personalized spell casting tables ('looks like whenever you cast Silence, a wolf howls in the distance'), and the mutations from casting...

It has great ideas (while sticking to old-skool DnDisms), which most brilliantly shows in the character funnel - it reinforces old mentality, and gives players options without assuming they have a concept ready (I never do), and then likely kills off most of them. But mostly, I just love random tables.

So, basically, what Durandal said.

Last edited:

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
I have yet to run it, but I've made a habit of collecting all DCC in print simply because the writing, design and aesthetic are very engaging and fun. I may adapt some of the modules to another system eventually (5E or Tunnels & Trolls) just to get a chance to run them, but I think the core game itself is hald of the experience. Someday I might convince my players to give it a shot.

Baz King

Role + Play + Game
Validated User
The charts stuff looks like a lot, but in actual play, it's simplicity itself. You roll, look up the result, done. It's a quick easy process honestly. The game is no harder than B/X.
Even the dice, they don't get used that often, and my group were happy to work around it. Eg we used a d3 and a d10 as a stand in for a d30.
And the adventures rule all. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User
Excellent system and the first D&D edition where the warriors felt to me like Warriors are supposed to, instead of like rabble with undeservedly high-quality weapons.

Liberator

Rollin' Dice
Validated User
I think it's a very fun game to both run and play. We have a very active DCC group here in Minneapolis (as you can tell from my sig line).

An additional plus for me is the folks at Goodman Games are really exceptional. The Google+ group for DCC is also pretty awesome.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
I ran a campaign for half a year in 2014. I wrote about our experience in my blog.

I really enjoy DCC.

Things I like:
  • Might Deeds
  • The Funnel character generation
  • wizards and chaos
  • Pacts
  • The way the game evokes Jack Vance and Clark Ashton Smith stories
  • Turning Over the Dead
  • I was able to run AD&D modules pretty much without modification
  • Troupe-style play where every player controls 1-4 PCs.

However, after running it for several months with the same PCs, I began to notice some problems:
  • Characters tend to die often, making campaign play more difficult
  • The death spiral from being saved from death
  • My wizard players did not like the skill roll to cast spells
  • My cleric player did not like the cumulative penalty for each failed spell
  • All of my players wanted more control and predictability and less randomness in character generation and spellcasting.

It was great fun for short games, but the high death rate, death spiral, and unpredictable spell results (which is a feature of the game, not a bug), made long-term campaign play a challenge. My players ultimately lobbied to return to D&D.

Again, the unpredictable magic is a feature for short-term games. You get hilarious results. However, the players found it annoying later on.

I also posted some ideas of how to mitigate those issues on my blog.

Also, the troupe-style play was fun at first, but the players also found that annoying in the long-term.

I also want to re-iterate how amazing it was that completely random zero-level characters for the funnel wound up becoming fully fleshed characters with personalities that were fun to roleplay. That was something we hardly ever get in other games.

Last edited:

Nahualt

A badder Santa
Validated User
I've been wanting to buy this book for a while, but there is no where to be found.

Anyone have a good online store that carries it?

Top Bottom