Opinions wanted on UNKNOWN ARMIES

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I ran a Silent Hill themed Halloween one shot with the 2nd edition of Unknown Armies back in 2004. I actually ran quite a lot of street level 2nd edition between 2004-2006 and found it to be the best game for ordinary people who encounter supernatural weirdness and horror mostly because of the Madness Meters. I recently ran a one shot of Raiders of the Lost Mart using the 3rd edition for a local convention and it was wildly well received. I would really like to run some more (or even better play the 3e). I really like how hardened and failed notches affect your skill percentages in the new edition, and how compatible it is with the second edition. I haven't tested out this compatibility but it looks like you could play an Entropomancer in the new edition with very little work. Unfortunately, I've got too much on my plate at the moment.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I ran a Silent Hill themed Halloween one shot with the 2nd edition of Unknown Armies back in 2004. I actually ran quite a lot of street level 2nd edition between 2004-2006 and found it to be the best game for ordinary people who encounter supernatural weirdness and horror mostly because of the Madness Meters. I recently ran a one shot of Raiders of the Lost Mart using the 3rd edition for a local convention and it was wildly well received. I would really like to run some more (or even better play the 3e). I really like how hardened and failed notches affect your skill percentages in the new edition, and how compatible it is with the second edition. I haven't tested out this compatibility but it looks like you could play an Entropomancer in the new edition with very little work. Unfortunately, I've got too much on my plate at the moment.
Nodybags are one of the converted adept school in Book 5.

Kid Twist

Validated User
I really need to second this. I've probably purchased a dozen copies of UA 2nd for various reasons, and the madness meters make a street-level game incredible. If you're using UA 2nd for your game, I think you're fine.

Zed

in Berkeley, California (he/him)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've never played any UA in which the characters weren't scared ordinary people. I've played several good UA 2 one-shots at cons and ran a short UA 3 campaign as a playtester so I can say they both work well for that. Running some UA in which the characters are adepts is on my GM bucket list.

Unknown Armies 3 has a really good setting/situation generator and that part would be easy to lift for UA 2. UA 2's rules are still perfectly good.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've got UA2 on the shelf, and am completing my first read-through of UA3 right now. I grok 3 a bit better, and the atmosphere of the retooled books is downright chilling, but both 2 and 3 are perfectly functional systems for growing stories of personal horror.

Coyote's Own

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I grok 3 a bit better, and the atmosphere of the retooled books is downright chilling.
The general consensus seems to be that 3rd edition books are more hopefull in tone then 2nd edition.
My personall opinion is that UA is both very depressing (since we, humanity, fucked up the universe) and hopefull (since there's no higher power that can stop us from fixing things).
UA3 seems to stress the hopefull part more then UA2.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
If you want a game more focused on normal people dealing with horrors outside humanity, Chronicles of Darkness is great.* It has a chapter on building monsters, plus a bunch of prewritten ones with an urban legend/creepypasta vibe.
Okay, I'm curious. What is Chronicles of Darkness? Is it a separate game, or a UA supplement? Something else?

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, I'm curious. What is Chronicles of Darkness? Is it a separate game, or a UA supplement? Something else?
Chronicles of Darkness is the product line formerly known as New World of Darkness. It's not related to UA, except for the fact that Greg Stolze (and possibly some other people) has written for both.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
Chronicles of Darkness is the product line formerly known as New World of Darkness. It's not related to UA, except for the fact that Greg Stolze (and possibly some other people) has written for both.
Ah, gotcha. I haven't really followed what's happened with that line. Although back in the 90s I owned HUNTER: THE RECKONING and loved it (though never got a chance to play, sadly).

Coyote's Own

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, gotcha. I haven't really followed what's happened with that line. Although back in the 90s I owned HUNTER: THE RECKONING and loved it (though never got a chance to play, sadly).
Just to be clear:
CofD is a separate line from WoD, both by setting and mechnics.
Even more separate after it stopped being New World of Darkness, after Paradox bought the WoD IP.

Unlike WoD CofD sets in foundation on strictly mortal game, and here na ctual core book for mortals (various superantural races are actually templates added to created mortal).

Top Bottom