Orange Fudge

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fudge is Fudge. It can have nuts in it, candy pieces, more chocolate, caramel, or other things. Fudge can get pretty strange or be pretty plain. Then there is orange fudge. It is my favorite. It is like normal fudge, very smooth, but has essence of orange added to the mix... changing the flavor for the better, but in no way "a normal fudge".

Now that I have pre-rambled....
This is the thread I am developing the idea I am outlinging below. Comments are welcome. If they weren't why would I be posting it here in the forum?

Now, some history
Fudge is the precursor to FATE. It was the first big free game on the net. It has published additions and settings; most notably Deryni by Grey Ghost. It used Fate dice, before Fate dice were cool; and we called them Fudge Dice. And we liked it.

As a game, it is simple and easy to play. It is a task orriented/ standard play sort of roleplay - not narrative like FATE is at all. You could add or delete complexity as you needed (for a while there, there were tons of options floating around.. The point of Fudge was that it was adaptable to any setting or genre. The net used to be full of adaptions and games using FUDGE.

Times changes. Domains go away. Sites get forgotten. New games come and steal our interest. Still, Fudge is a great game and very useful.

Is it perfect? No. No game is. But you can change it so it is perfect for your setting or your game group.

So starting from the SRD or the official source, I wanted to build a version that fits what I like.

So some of my design goals are.....

Universal, so I don't have to mess with changing it everytime I want to change genres, settings, etc. This means wider ability/ trait lists.

In specific

0) De-Emphasize the Ladder. And make a smaller one.

One possible

5) Extraordinary
4) Exceptional
3) Great
2) Good
1) Average
0) Poor
-1) Awful
Changed the numeric listings of the lab at this point.

1) We are also emphasizing values attached to the traits rather than wording.
A trait to define what it does. While you might be Good with computer programing, that is only a Lv1 trait.

2) No attributes -
If you want a bonus for being strong or pretty, buy a gift for +1 in those situations.

3) Smaller Skill Tree -
Characters will start with one Lv3, two lv2, three Lv3 skills. It will use the column system... the level below must have more skills than the level above. To have a Lv3 skill, you must have at least two Lv2. To have two lv2, you must have three or more lv1
*The default Skill list should be a hybrid of the Hero System list, the FATE list, and Castle Falkenstein's list.
* Some renaming and redefining - Prowess Athletic, Alertness/ perception,
* Profession- substitute for skills related to professions, half value for major skills, (round up. so Lv1 and 2 =+1
* While there will be space for customization, the default list should handle most genres without having to be messed with.

4) Gifts and Flaws
Start with X possible gift traits, to a maximum of Y. The difference between X and Y is paid for with flaws traits. The maximum number of flaws will be Z The GM will define X,Y, and Z for their tastes and Genre. (Supers needing a huge number of Gifts for powers for example).
*Some gifts are skill boosts either as an extra Level 1, or with two it is two.
*Some gifts are mechanical (game mech) or narrative (good or bad options)
*Some Gifts give you more skill points
*Some gifts expand a skill (feat/ stunt)
*Some gifts specialize a skill (+1 in general, +2 for very specific)
*Some give you Attribute bonus (Strong +1 to all said action)
*Flaws give -1 Mods to situations or require rolls in circumstances that should not require a roll or completely eliminate an action as an option.

5) Powers
Spells are an action based list, needs one gift for MAgical Access. Each Spell List will be a skill.
Psionics the same.
Super Powers are Gift
The Power system will determine if there is power fatigue and when a roll is required.

6) Resolution
*3dF because of the smaller numbers.
--I want to see if I can use an adjusting number of dice based on the dramatic importance of the scene. If it is just another no danger, narrate it though scene, 1dF. If it is the climactic ending of a dramatic campaign...4dF. Most Dramatic resolution will be 36d. It should be based on the desired results and the cost of failure.
*Bonus of +1 to any action that an everyman could perform.
*Each Trait adds +1, any leveled trait (like skills) are +1 per level.

*Resolution for clash. Not scene but conflict. This is an idea I had to reduce the amount of back and forth rolling during a conflict. Each roll would be for what would a number of rounds in most games. This

*Tracks could be used in longer resolution. The number of successes push the track to the right - in your favor. Reaching certain points on the track determines success. Someone resisting you will be moving your place on the track to the left... to either your failure or their success.

*Fudge Points will be in use... and will be used to modify the game world/ story line in minor ways in addition to all the rerolls or bonus to roll options.

6b) Damage ... Undecided
**Could be simple tracks (
**Could be something like Cortex complications, with a number of DF determining the amount of danger or how often it will effect you.
**A hybrid of tracks with "waypoints" where things get more or less complicated

For Combat....
*Armor will block points of damage. Weapons will add points of damage, after the success/failure has been determined.

7) Options
Chapters of your life to give more gifts, most of them will be skill boosts. Start with X number of chapters (birth/ youth, early training, several adventures.). Each chapter can either provide a gift or fill in a gift.

Races could be skills or gifts/flaws, to determine how much bonus you get. If it is better than baseline (human, cat, what ever), it is a gift... if more problematic, a flaw

Last edited:

Faylar

Banned
Orange fudge... so basically it is US foreign policy at the moment?

JK just a joke, not trying to bash people's political views.. I'm just an opportunist. lol.

This looks like the end result of some of the more recent forums conversations. Just out of curiosity, why the avoidance of attributes? I know its kind of a semi-popular idea lately, but I am just wondering the reasoning behind it.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This looks like the end result of some of the more recent forums conversations. Just out of curiosity, why the avoidance of attributes? I know its kind of a semi-popular idea lately, but I am just wondering the reasoning behind it.
I screwed up examples... so if you read this before, read it again. 1320 pacific on 05/26

Actually, to be honest, I haven't been following a lot of those conversations. This is just some musings I have been having for the last six months or so. I just finally decided to act upon it.

As for the attributes, it causes "inflation" on the fate/fudge ladder. You would have rank one brawling, Your physique which is Great adds a +2, grants you a 3 total... modified by your dice. ranging from -1 to +7 Your average result will be 3

Most of your input does not come from your skill. It comes from your stats. So it becomes less important to have skills and you emphasize the stat section. You skills will rank from 1-4, with your stats contributing more than you skills in over four out of ten cases, and as much or more for seven out of ten cases.

Yes, traditionally you might have a brawling of 3 (A great skill, one of your two level 3 skills) ... but still your attributes are a major input AND you have to resolve with higher number and wide swing. So it would be 1-9 results. Your average result will be 5 and you will mash that person with the average of 3

And these are all with good or great stats, which PCs usually have... but not always.

Tightening the numbers, gives less swing. So One Physique gift, one rank in brawling, and one bonus because simple hitting people is an everyman skill, that gives you a total of three. Roll 2dF and gives you a range from 1 to 5. Lower range, less results to have to resolve away. If we resolved with Lv3 Brawling - now a top of the range skill - (for a total of 6, gives us a swing from 4 to 8) It provides more numeric impact.

Just changed the numbers associated with things on the ladder. So my Average rank will be level 1, so my brawler in the example above is pretty good, able to start at level 3 "the great". (Most people would just get the +1 for everyman, so they would be good or average.... while in classic mode they would be 0 or poor.)

The classic way has your stats figured one way (as modifiers) and your skills figured another, the combined. Why not just have them all directly add? It is much simplier.

Last edited:

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seems like you're headed in a good direction. I definitely agree with contracting the ladder somewhat, especially because the original names were often kinda silly and confusing. ("Superb" is not obviously better than "Great" to the average person, for instance. Probably the opposite, if anything.)

Combat is one of my big issues with Fudge and Fate. It's really hard to do anything interesting with the current concepts, and it really feels like it needs to be either completely redesigned or just discarded and replaced by treating combat as a typical task resolution.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Combat is one of my big issues with Fudge and Fate. It's really hard to do anything interesting with the current concepts, and it really feels like it needs to be either completely redesigned or just discarded and replaced by treating combat as a typical task resolution.
Part of me wants to stick with zones and keep it fairly abstract. Fudge has had some plug ins that make it as tactical as the Old Fantasy Trip Melee and Wizard or even stock book hexes and moves Hero Systems.

Since I am working with resolve a clash, which in this case would be an exchange from both sides in a fight, it makes it less tactical than that. However, if you actually have combat stances and manuvers which actually make a true impact (like Hero's combat and martial actions), this could make it more interesting.

The catch with clash resolution is the chance that both sides will be hurt, which is hard to model with set Fudge rolls. I am thinking the combat actions will have a "made by or" to represent the chance of being hurt after your successful action.

I am playing around with this right at the moment, but I have a more tactical version of Fudge to fall back upon.

This is one of the biggest points that make me go, "Hmmmmm" in this design project.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay. This thread was supposed to be my workspace for the Orange Fudge. I have been cut off from the internet at home (see the marvelous blog post about that,). This has made using my books difficult, as well... I am at work. (They do frown upon not-working at work.)

This is still on my mind. I just don't want anyone to think the project was abandoned.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is a data dump with some commentary...

Skill List one

Athletics
Burglary
Contacts
Craft
Deceive
Drive
Empathy
Fight
Investigate
Lore
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Resource
Shoot
Stealth
Will

True List Two
Acrobatics DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Acting PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Animal Handler General 11 3/2
Breakfall DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Bribery PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Bugging INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Bureaucratics PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Climbing DEX 9+(STR/5) 3/2
Combat Driving DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Combat Skill Levels Combat — varies
Combat Piloting DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Computer Programing INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Concealment INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Contortionist DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Conversation PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Criminology INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Cryptography INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Deduction INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Demolitions General 11 3/2
Disguise General 11 3/2
Electronics General 11 3/2
Familiarity Background — 1/-
Forensic Medicine INT 11 3/2
Forgery General 11 3/2
Gambling General 11 3/2
High Society PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Interrogation PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Inventor INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Knowledge Background 11* 2/1*
Languages Background — 1/1
Lipreading General 11 3/2
Lockpicking DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Martial Arts Combat varies varies
Mechanics General 11 3/2
Mimicry General 11 3/2
Navigation General 11 3/2
Oratory PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Paramedic INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Persuasion PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Professional Skills Background 11* 2/1*
Range Skill Levels Combat — varies
Riding DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Science Background 11* 2/1*
Security Systems INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Seduction PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Shadowing General 11 3/2
Skill Levels — — -/varies
Sleight of Hand DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Stealth DEX 9+(DEX/5) 3/2
Streetwise PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Survival General 11 3/2
Systems Operation INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Tactics INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Tracking INT 9+(INT/5) 3/2
Trading PRE 9+(PRE/5) 3/2
Transport Familiarity Background — varies
Ventriloquism General 11 3/2
Weapon Familiarity Combat — varies
Weaponsmith General 11 3/varies

Skill List 3
© Artistry
§ Athletics
© Charm (combination of charisma and comliness)
ª Connections
© Courage
¨ Education
ª Exchequer
§ Fencing
§ Fisticuffs
§ Marksmanship
¨ Perception
¨ Physician
§ Physique
ª Social Graces
?? Sorcery
§ Stealth
¨ Tinkering

You know. These things sound easier than they are in your head. These games have some very different emphasis and granularity. Yet they have a familiarity with each other. I think I like how it all goes. I just need to find new names and combine them.

At this point I am favoring CF's/ 3s list as the start.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was expecting to do the skill list over the week. So I had a few hours next to the wife, watching a passive movie, then some hallmark time. So fourish hours later, I have a prototype list. With amazement, the internet is working. So I am posting this now.

Skill List Here are the 38 that seem to be it.
There are some questions about this list under it...

Acrobatics - The character’s skill leaping, tumbling, use of break fall (reducing damage from falls), and parkour. (Straight climbing is done at one level less.)

Artistry - The ability to make “art” of both the fine and graphic nature. This will include painting, photography, sculpting, writing novels, writing poetry, and so on. In games where knowledge of Performance is important (Or the GM fells it is necessary. on a regular basis, it should have a specialty. It can also be used for other forms of performance, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Athletics - The measure of the character’s performance in the areas of Running, Jumping, Climbing, feats of Strength, Sports, and so on.

Awareness - The ability to perceive the world around them, to spot danger, noticing things of importance or that are out of place.

Burglary - The character’s skill at breaking and entry, lockpicking, and defeating traps and security. It is also the skill to set these things up (perhaps with some aid by making.)

Business - the skill of bargaining, trading, finance, and managing money and goods. Anything dealing with book keeping is under

Bureaucratic - to deal with administrations, organizations, and red tape that occurs, in an efficient manner.

Charm - The character’s ability to “talk” with people. It is a combination of charisma, empathy/rapport, and conversation skills. Charm is used to persuade people and get information in a gentle way. It functions as Romance at one level less.

Connections - The skill at finding and cultivating people in your area. Choose a skill or profession as a specialty and you can find connections and contacts in that area. It can also be used for other forms of performance, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar. (So Gambling is the connection, underworld or sports would be at one level less, with business people (owners) and artists and performance would be at two levels less.

Craft - To drive or pilot a craft (vehicle). When selected, a character chooses one type of vehicle. Other vehicles are done at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Crew - to be a member of a team that runs a larger craft. For sailors, it includes working the deck, working the sails/ engines, and how to maintain the craft. It can also be used for other vehicles, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Develop - (some kind of engineering) To design and develop new technologies in Electronic, Software, Genetic, Chemical, etc, It can also be used for other systems, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar. (If you want artistic design, go with Artistry).

Education - (Lore, scholarship, Academics) This is the measure of the character’s retained knowledge (what they know) and how to find knowledge (books, internets, interviews).

Empowered - This should be a skill based on the setting.
Faith
Magic
Meta Force
Psionics
Sorcery
There will often be subrules related to each school.

Engineering -To run a large engine system, standing or mobile, from steam engine on. Choose an engine system when the skill is taken. It can also be used for other systems, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Gambling/ Gaming - The character’s skill or knack at games of skill and chance (and any mix between). It will help you strategize, if you are in that kind of situation.

Healing (Physician) - To speed the recovery of or the repair of an injured or ill person. Surgery is performed at one level lower (unless you opt to be a surgeon, then medical care is at the one level lower.

Infomatics (Computing) - the use of and programing of data systems, for numbers, words, photos, sound, video, or other data. It an understanding of networks, internets, and computer systems, and using tools to deal with those. If you need to make new tools or simple programs, the skill functions at one level less.

Investigation (Detective) - This is the character’s knack for deduction and skills at investigation, spotting clues (things out of place), and putting together pieces.

Leadership - The character’s ability to have a presence, a command of the room and the people in it, and the ability to persuade those people to do what the leader says. It is charm for a large group. It also is the character’s ability to organize.
Making (to make various crafting): This is the making of basic things, wood work, metal work, glass work, and so on. It also include food

Mechanism - building, maintain, and repair of mechanisms, clockworks, engines, and so on. This has a specialty when selected. It can also be used for other kinds of mechanisms, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Mystery - The character’s knowledge of the occult, the unusual, and that which most people do not know. It would include things like magic, unknown history, ufology, cryptozoology, vampires, werewolves, and conspiracies. In games where knowledge of Mysteries is important on a regular basis, it should have a specialty. It can also be used for other mysteries, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Performance - The character’s skill at Dancing, Singing, Playing an instrument, Dramatically Reading, and so on. Acting is covered by Theatre, but can be attempted at one level less. In games where knowledge of Performance is important (Or the GM fells it is necessary. on a regular basis, it should have a specialty. It can also be used for other forms of performance, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.

Profession (Domestic, Job Skill, etc) - The character’s skill at doing a job. Once it is taken, it starts with a specialty. Domestic allows you to keep a house, Servant allows you to be a servant, warehouseman runs inventory and organize, and so on. . It can also be used for other mysteries, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar. These allow for specialized skills. Most people can do things at Good.

Reaction (Intimidation/ Provoke/ Torture) - The character’s ability to insult, intimidate, verbally push (and sometimes physically push), a victim. This gets a result, makes them attack before they are ready, or wildly without tactics, blurt out things they don’t want others to know. This is always resisted by a Resolve roll.

Resolve (Will, Courage) - The measure of the character’s personal self control and drive. It is used to resist persuasion, to ignore adversity or fatigue, and to go beyond the basic.

Romance - The character’s abilities in charming and attracting those who might be sexually attracted to the character. Once the character has built a rapport (usually a task), it acts as a very effective form of charm, contact, and reaction, against that character. (Resolve rolls are made with a -2 Modifier against the character.)

Savoir faire - The character’s knacks and skills to act in high society and polite society. They will be able to conduct themselves without embarrassment in a socially acceptable way.

Shadow Society - The characters knacks and skills to function in the semi-secret and secret occult subcultures. They know how to obscure their identities appropriately, what can and can not be asked, and how to work introduction in this secretive subculture.

Society of a kind (some sub culture) - Every social group has its own rules and rituals. Each time this is taken, it has a specialty. This could be a subculture (Racers, Mercenaries, SailorsGamers) or an entire culture (different from the core culture, so knowledge of Chinese Society (modern or ancient), Maori, Japanese). If used for a whole culture, the level of skill is the maximum you can use for contacts, charm, savoir faire, streetwise, and so on.

Spycraft - This skill requires special training in the arts of tradecraft [/b]- the skill of spies. This skill includes cryptography, shadowing, passing information, establishing covers, knowledge of spies and organizations, and all the cool old school spy stuff you can think of.

Stealth - The character’s knack and skills in moving silently and unseen. This is usually resisted by the level of success of someone’s awareness.

Streetwise - Streetwise is about “the streets”, the lowest levels of society and the criminals. It gives you the social rules on how to deal the criminal, gangs, and low cultures, much like savoir faire deals with high society. It also gives you a knack on how to survive (poor food, protection/ housing, and such) on the streets. how to survive out on the streets and the rules of street society

Survival - The character’s skill and intuition dealing with gathering food and water in the wilds, finding one’s way, tracking, hunting, and knowledge of flora and fauna. A character should pick a specialty environment when selecting this skill. It can also be used for other environments of the same terrain or same temperature range, with a one level less and two levels less if they are quite different.

Technology - The character’s skills at building, maintaining, and repair of a type of higher technology - electronics, informational electronics (computer), photonics, warp systems, would be appropriate specialties. This has a specialty when selected. It can also be used for other kinds of mechanisms, at one level less if they were similar and two levels less if they are only remotely similar.
Theatre - The character’s skill in the areas of Acting, Mimicry, Impersonation, Disguise, and so on. (It can include the areas of lighting, sound, costuming, and so on.) Many people who develop theatre-esk skills are not part of the theatre, but are used to putting on roles for investigations or scams.

Warfare -
Weapons – The skill with melee weapons
Archery/ Bowcraft – the skills in bows and crossbows. This takes an extra -1 modifier if used without skill
Hand and Foot – The skills in unarmed combat. This takes a -1 Modifier if used to inflict serious damage.
Marksmanship – The skill in pistols and rifles

Martial Arts skills - allow for additional actions and bonuses, but they do not get the normal +1 Any Human can do modifier.

There should be a number of gifts and flaws dealing with warfare skills. So a lotof the cool things you can do in combat will come from the gifts (and/ or generous GMs and appropriate genres).

Left overs
?????Deception ???- slight of hand? What would slight of hand be? Burglary? Theatre? Both of these at -1 level less.
Resources This is a gift.
Meditation - Really this is resolve, just used at better levels.

1) There are 10 starting skill spots. There is 38 skills. Still 10 skill on a sheet is a lot. Is it? Too many Skills? (Some are non adventuring normally).
1b) Remember, you can take gifts to improve the number of skills you have.

2) Have I missed any skills?

3) Is the gradient equal for each skill?

4) Is this sufficiently universal... Does it work for any of you?
Fantasy
Science Fantasy
Espionage
Urban Fantasy
Western
Samurai/ Martial Arts theatre

5) Do you think that certain genres or settings will require specialty skills?

Last edited:

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it covers most genres. Some settings might require special skills, but that's to be expected with most systems and I wouldn't worry about it right now. It's a bit on the complex side in terms of the number of skills and how specific they are, but I think it works.

One thing, though. I absolutely love your concept of "Shadow Society" as a skill equivalent to Streetwise, but focused on the occult. That's a really, really awesome idea.

Top Bottom