• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Orange Fudge

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it covers most genres. Some settings might require special skills, but that's to be expected with most systems and I wouldn't worry about it right now. It's a bit on the complex side in terms of the number of skills and how specific they are, but I think it works.
The basic six slots for the smaller pyramid and then some background free slots (So slot or gift per chapter in their life.) Everyone can attempt to do things that are humanly possible, so a lot of people can be "effectively average" with the default mod +1 MOD. Like Castle Falkenstein, you are okay at everyting (except thing that require specialty skills or intense training).

I was also starting a character off with one flaw required. Thus they will have a gift as well. I do have a thought about dropping one skill as specifically "poor" or -1 MOD as an option for that flaw.

One thing, though. I absolutely love your concept of "Shadow Society" as a skill equivalent to Streetwise, but focused on the occult. That's a really, really awesome idea.
One of my primary genres of play is Urban Fantasy/ Occult Adventure (the other two are Super Heroes and Nipponese Fantasy). This is a skill I always have to shoehorn in to every system. It also works for "Martial Arts Secret Society", when I am doing a martial arts oriented campaigns.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rank 5) Extraordinary
Rank 4) Exceptional
Rank 3) Great
Rank 2) Good
Rank 1) Average
Rank 0) Poor
Rank -1) Awful
Rank -2) Epic Fail

So While I will still include the ladder names, I will be numbering things as Rank

Now Rank 1 is an average thing, an average person will be able to do in an average situation. The way to obtain Rank 1 is to perform an action that any "Human" can do. So notice that you won't need skill ranks for "normal kinda things". So a net Athletics Rank 1 is something anyone can do. The other way to obtain a rank 1 is to perfom a skilled action with a rank 1 skill and do something requiring skill to perform.

Now resistance. Unless there is some difficulty with the action, you just have to beat a rank 0 (which will be rank 1 or better). We can make things harder as we go, but resistance will probably go as high as four (level 3 skill (which is rare) that any human can do)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

The number of fudge dice that will be rolled for resolution will be based on the amount of drama the action has.

This sounds easy enough... until you actually have to write rules to that effect.

How do you easily and objective evaluate the drama in a scene? .... well first you remove the word "easily" from the equasion.

I think the best way is to measure the amount of risk/reward from the action.

Most actions will have little risk, no fudge die is rolled. You have time, you have tools, you have no pressure.

1dF possible complication to the action, but an average reward.

2dF possible injury/ complication to the action but a good reward

3dF Possible death and notable injury, but a great reward

This is my spit balling approach. I need to think about this some more.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
1) What is a success?
Default Rank of Success is going to be 1. You must achieve one rank of success or better to succeed. Now doing less than than might still allow you to succeed at the action... but there might be complications. The more ranks of success, the fewer or less important the complications. So If I roll and get three ranks of success (2 from skill and and +1 from the die roll), I can eliminate 2 ranks of complications... i.e. eliminate them completely.

Taking complications could add ranks of success. If you don't want the ranks of success, you could trade complications for fudge points.

2) Fudge Points.
They are originally used for rerolls. I would include
1) Improve rolls if spent before roll
2) Reroll, if spent after a roll
3) scene changes (I find a wrench on the counter, obviously there was a plumbing issue earlier)
4) Story Arc add or delete.

3/1B) So complications traits with ranks. I think this is how we are going to damage and results.

Normally in fudge, you have five or ten wound boxes. Amount of damage you do plus weapon's base damage is the amount of damage done. Subtract the armor, that becomes the amount of damage through to the character.

So I took "A cut to the arm" 2. That complication could either be applied as a modifier to rolls (-2 MOD) for immediate issues or more of a problem later (Festering cut 1, becomes a -3 MOD if you don't get medical treatment soon).

This could lead to more rulings than rules. (A slippery slope.) There may need to be a boatload of examples.

Of course, can you be nickled and dimed to death? Can I have "Dying" 1 or Dead -5? Complications get to be a problem. Perhaps when you get enough complications that you can't successfully roll a dramatic action (Highest skill level+3 means you can't do anything even with a massive roll) you are "out of the scenario/ game".

4) Damage is weapon damage - armor. Hitting does the margin of success change your damage? The numbers are small enough that it might not be worth it. Maybe a number of points of margin of success like 3 increases damage.

Perhaps, if you reduce your chance to hit (as a complication) you can increase your damage.

So My 3 point Pistol vs my leather armor (1). Only puts two through. This can now be the complication taken ("Winged me in the shoulder"-2)"

5)Damage Bubbles. Take a complication or lose damage bubbles. This is a nice hybrid.

I am still thinking about how this is going to work.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Blogging seems to have sucked up my projected time to play around with this game.

It has some good content, so you can read it HERE

It is all the work on all the GM sections for all the games I have done plus a bit more. I have been gaming for 40+ years and working on improving my Game Mastering skills almost that entire time. I might know something useful. So, I am starting with foundation stuff and then I will go on with the fun fluff.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Still blogging away.

Did not want to lose this thread though. Was giving it some thought yesterday. I guess it is just my exposure to DFA .

I like the concept of mantles. I like that one trait grants you all sorts of stuff. It was sort of what I was envisioning with the profession skill. One skill that gives general knowledge to do all sorts of things.

Mantles are related to pwoers.

So. Powers. They are so variable. Each Empowered System is going to be different I guess

So magic as a skill.
Magic+2 (thus everything from the magic list of level 2 or less, skill check to use.) There may be a set of empowered skills (fire magic, air magic, water magic, earth magic, mind magic).

Now I could take a gift of Mutant in The X Campaign, let us say. That gift would give me a small pyramid of power effects. (It is a high powered supers campaign). The empowered skill would be for skill checks using your power.

Now should there be a list of power sets or a list of powers? There could be a power list for fire power, ice power, etc. That is long and tedious to write. The other way is the generic list. This means sometimes players will not pick coherient powers, just the ones they want (and then justify it).

Or we could just go abstract. I have Solar Fire Powers - thus I can do three things fairly commonly, fly, blast, fire aura. I could then try to do anything else, but that would require an empowered roll. This does not require mechanics, but the GM could be stuck with resolving stuff. (Shuffling the work).

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I wanted to do a larger resolution, resolving for a clash or scene, instead of every action.

1) GM defines the current scene (gives location, time, events occuring) and the thing we are expecting the players to do.

2) Player declares purpose of the scene (usually what the GM expects, but sometimes people have a different tact) and their approach (the How I want to do this).

3) GM will mention drama level of scene now (how important the scene or how risky their apprach is) , which determines the number of dF done for the resolution. They will mention the obvious complications.

3b) Player may opt to straight up continue or opt to change their approach/ tact, going back to 2. (Maybe taking a penalty to the scene roll.)

4) Every complication must be met (i.e. a clash) Successful resolution gives bonuses to Last Roll/ scene roll. Failure either provides penalty to the scene roll/ last roll or if the event is pass/fail stops the scene.

Who gets to narrate this? GM or Player or who ever wants to.

The Last roll resolves the scene and if the player meets its goal for the scene.

Exemple gratuit
You are on the roof of the Chateau. It is night and you have stealthfully removed yourself from your party garb and climbed here. We are going in for The Count's papers using burglary?

Actually, I am going to emphasis stealth to avoid detection at all costs. So I am quietly climbing down to his private chambers.

You know that will take more challanges for burglary and climbing? It will also bump up the drama level to 3.

Sure, but I can do those better.

"Using stealth you are an unseen shadow on the wall..."

"Climbing is a complication, roll 2df," the GM says.
"0+0 Still score 2+1 for Catburglar"
"One better than the two needed to overcome the challange." The GM
"Light like a cat, I leap from edges of gables, to balconies, to those gargoyles, and back to get to his Balcony. Silently and nobody saw me.

"Upon entering the chambers, there is no one there that you can see. You are examining the desk, but there is nothing regarding the plot."
"You and I both know that he would hide those, so I assume Burglarly Complication.
"This is pass fail and difficult, "the GM says". "2df"
"Throwing a drama point at it for +1, Rank 2 Burglary, and thief. The 2dF is -2 So a total of 2.
"Difficulty was 2, so darn. You succeed at it, but it does not give a bonus.
GM, "after looking at his immaculately clean desk, you check the drawers for hidden compartments... and you find it. You have the papers... stuffing them away in the scroll tube, correct?" (player nods). The Door of course begins to open.

Ah but stealth and unseen is my purpose.

Okay, Scene Roll. 3dF vs your stealth
This is Rank 3, plus one for Thief. One +, one - and one 0. On and a bonus because I was a quick and excellent climber. So 5

"Rolls 3d6 against The Count" (the player looks at the GM funny). We use The Count's perception for his guards since they are extras. The only trait applicable is Cunning. So 2+3dF. I score a total of 4, but lose to your 5.

Okay, want a fate die for me to narrate?
No, thank you. But get that point ready.
"So someone unlocks the door. I find a perfect hiding spot behind some tapestries in the side of the room. The Count and The Lady Wielhs come in. During the throws of it all, I slip out... vaguely impressed by the Count's prowess.

"That wasn't a complication... as you got out. "
"If I needed another complication roll... "
"yes then you can get out and know that it was The Lady Wielhs. Otherwise you just know it was a woman and will need to figure out whom. "
"I roll +2 that gives me..."
"More than enough... Sigh. The Next Scene we find you just finishing changing back into your party dress in that back bedroom. What is your next goal? "
"Catch up with my team and then get out of kingdom..."
"Lets get out of the chateau first.."
"Okay, Catch up with team and leave the chateau with no one the wiser."
"Alas, you left your friend unattended... and we all know you can't take them anywhere....."
"Pietro, this is your scene.....

Thought
Off the Rail - So things did not go according to anyones plan, a wierd mix of complications success and failure may change the entire complexion of the scene. What to do? Well narration.

Okay, you got out before he could see you, but you weren't able get the papers.

This finds you on the roof... what is your next scene?

Thought
Maybe who gets to narrate the results determines who gets a bonus point or something.

Remember to read the Blog, it is going to get more interesting

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is scene resolution too clunky? It might be good for Play by Post, but how it works out at the table (see example above) is a bit clunky and requires some going back over things.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So resolution should remain by clash, several clashes per scene. - closer to most traditional rpgs. Scene resolution seems like such a great thing, until you factor in any complication.

Most actions, depending on their importance should have several clashes to resolve (oh I don't know, like combat).
So a conversation (pumping someone for information, should be a combat, several clashes). Single roll resolution should never be pass fail (but succeed/ don't succeed as well).

So Still your standard Fudge Rolls
1 higher than the difficulty for a success. Ties should be Yes, But.

The number of Fate Dice toss should be on how important something is.
Transition scenes or negligible events, one die... you might not even need to roll them.
Two dice for things of interest. Most dice rolls will be 2df
Three dice for things dramatic. Very Important, Potential Harm or Mayham.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Actually - clash should be resolved. There are few actions that will be dramatic and against an single inannimate thing. Most clashes will be against a target (or can be thought about being against a character).

Thus pumping someone for information with conversations and guile, would be a clash.

There would be points on each side (like hits) or maybe a sliding scale for results.

Just some thoughts...

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This morning Orange Fudge bubbled out of my subconscious

My goal to use clashes or minimize the number of die rolls is not working as well as I would like. The mechanics resolved as clash come out remarkably like per action.

I thought of a way... and it played out in my head. It makes this more artificial. You frame the bigger scene and its goal... make a roll for that scene and goal. (Really it would be The Goal you would be rolling for). Every "challenge" the GM throws into the scene, gives you a chance to bump or reduce your first roll. (roll determining the quality of result). The problem with this is that the flow of play gets very artificial. Take our example. It would be the infilitrate and retreive... challenges entry, finding it, avoiding the couple. Extra success ones buy extra advantages from the scene

You know you are a gamer when you dream of a game being played

1) Skills that require either a specialty or focus (Combat or Empowered for example). You get one for free. You can attempt open specialities at a penalty. You can buy more specialties with gift points. Society (Occult, High, Low) would be one of these.

2) Remember that you will be buying more level 1 and bumping Lv 1 to Lv 2 skills with gift points.

3) Attribute Gifts These 12 are my ideal attributes.
  • Prowess
  • Toughness
  • Dexterity
  • Agility
  • Logic
  • Wits
  • Empathy
  • Will
  • Luck
  • Mystic
  • Appearance
  • Charisma

4) Flaws:
  • There should be a limit to the number of flaws based on GM style and genre.
  • Most flaws are story things that you want inserted.... Nemesis for example
  • Physical, mental, emotional, charisma flaws... Complications to your actions. Negative attributes are flaws.
  • Equipment flaws, Connection Flaws, and
  • I guess there would be skill flaws. I am "Too Honest", I take a -1 to all lies or attempts to steal. Skill penalties for specialties.. additionals.
Many traits can be gifts and flaws - Codes of Honor for example Bonus in use or penalty when not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom