• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

OSR Sword & Sorcery Resources

A2A

Proud Member of the Fuzz
Validated User
I have just bought a copy of the second edition of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, and have already become a massive fan.

That said, I am always open to more stuff to put in a game, and in this case I'm looking for recommendations for additional resources that support OSR swords and sorcery style roleplaying - ideally available in print or at least PoD. Published modules are welcome, but I'm even more interested in supplements from which I can steal or generate new ideas.

So, what's good in the S&S genre?

BeholderThief

Validated User
I don't think you can get any more swords & sorcery than by picking up the original D&D little brown books (which are definitely PDF's and i think POD). The third book: Underworld and Wilderness Adventures pretty much oozes swords & sorcery goodness. Especially if you follow its guidelines to wilderness setting development.

I recommend this for further reading the 'implied' OD&D setting: OD&D Setting Analysis

I'd also look at stuff from the original judges guild stuff -- the original Wilderlands of High Fantasy, City State of the Invincible Overlord, etc.

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nod, Knockspell and Fight On are all good 'zines with an S&S vibe. Nod is the only one still being published, but the other two are available POD, I believe.

tomas

Validated User
Personally I think that ASSH is best in breed when it comes to OSR S&S offerings; and I have used the rules outside of the setting with success.

That said, I would also suggest that you also take a look at Crypts & Things which is based on the Swords and Wizardry Core ruleset. It streamlines some of the rules, has a cool magic system, and adds a wonderful flavor of a dying world to the mix. The only sour note that I have about it is that the kickstarter concluded a few years ago and we are still waiting for all the goods to be delivered. But the rules themselves are truly well done.

A2A

Proud Member of the Fuzz
Validated User
Personally I think that ASSH is best in breed when it comes to OSR S&S offerings; and I have used the rules outside of the setting with success.

That said, I would also suggest that you also take a look at Crypts & Things which is based on the Swords and Wizardry Core ruleset. It streamlines some of the rules, has a cool magic system, and adds a wonderful flavor of a dying world to the mix. The only sour note that I have about it is that the kickstarter concluded a few years ago and we are still waiting for all the goods to be delivered. But the rules themselves are truly well done.
I had been looking at Crypts & Things on drivethrurpg - it gives me a Dragon Warriors meets Fighting Fantasy vibe that I definitely like so will certainly be getting hold of a copy.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Not that it is very easy to convert, but my gold standard for S&S OSR is Dungeon Crawl Classics. It has a ton of print/POD supplements by Goodman and third party publishers, including adventures. Lots of adventures.

A2A

Proud Member of the Fuzz
Validated User
Not that it is very easy to convert, but my gold standard for S&S OSR is Dungeon Crawl Classics. It has a ton of print/POD supplements by Goodman and third party publishers, including adventures. Lots of adventures.
I'm a huge DCC fan, and frankly wish that the magic system in AS&SoH was more like it.

Constantine XI

Validated User
AS&SH's magic system is the weakest part about it. I agree DCC's is better, however the best one I've discovered I can't talk about on these forums.

That said, AS&SH is great. I think the setting is far and away the most innovative and imaginative setting I've seen in over 30 years of gaming (and that includes Tekumel)

Top Bottom