• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Other Names for a Monk

Nokternal35

Validated User
How about Wuxia, or just xia?
Hm. That is the kinda theme I have going for the class. Might go with this.

Adept
Sifu
I like Adept. Though, it might just be because I love Golden Sun but it makes me think more of a mage like class. I might just spin that into it's own class.

"Physical Adept," perhaps, to convey someone's who's ability comes from a deep mastery of their own body?
Otherwise, I second Xia/Wuxia/Youxia for a Chinese vibe. You will, of course, have to deal with correcting players who want to pronounce it "Wucksia", but that's a small price.
I'm one of the ones who'd be miss pronouncing it. Actually had to google how to say it.

EndlessKng

An Innocent Bystander
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For Chinese, I also like Xia/Wuxia.

For more Japanese flavoring, there's also "Sohei," "Kensai" (sword saint), and "yamabushi" (lit. mountain warrior, referring to isolated ascetics who live in the mountains - in real life they're more just hermits, but the term has been used for literal warriors as well.

wryfool

Validated User
Though Kenai literally translates to "sword saint", i think it gives the right mood to what you want. Similarly, Kenai means "swordsman" or "fencer", which could also work

Alban

Validated User
Though Kenai literally translates to "sword saint", i think it gives the right mood to what you want. Similarly, Kenai means "swordsman" or "fencer", which could also work
I think you meant "kensai", which is in fact an erroneous spelling of "kensei" (剣聖) seen in books like AD&D Oriental Adventures.

Top Bottom