• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Overwatch Thread the 5th] Have you seen some of the things Talon wears?

Apis Rex

Please think of the bees.
Validated User
I'll admit, I first took notice of the Dragons last year when they picked up Geguri, but more than their losing streak the thing that solidified me as a fan is that the players on social media all seemed to really love being on the team. Last season they hired a chef to make sure that the players could eat foods that would be familiar and comforting to them, and they folded that comforting meal time in to something even more social by having the Chinese players speak Korean and the Korean players speaking Mandarin during meals. This season obviously the whole team is speaking Korean with each other, but there's still a clear sense of camaraderie and that the players are having fun being on the team.

When I hear about other teams in the league having serious drama between players, or players burning out because of the expectations of the organization, it really makes me feel so much better about which team I opted to cheer for. I just hope that if Chicago eventually gets a team it looks to how the Dragons do things rather than modeling itself on what's normal for the esports world.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Normally I'm not one to assume my opponent is smurfing, but when a gold console Mercy with no border spends the entire match superjumping and headshotting everyone from midair with her pistol, it becomes pretty damn obvious whats going on.

Dragon_Blooded

Social Justice Main Tank
Validated User
I'll admit, I first took notice of the Dragons last year when they picked up Geguri, but more than their losing streak the thing that solidified me as a fan is that the players on social media all seemed to really love being on the team. Last season they hired a chef to make sure that the players could eat foods that would be familiar and comforting to them, and they folded that comforting meal time in to something even more social by having the Chinese players speak Korean and the Korean players speaking Mandarin during meals. This season obviously the whole team is speaking Korean with each other, but there's still a clear sense of camaraderie and that the players are having fun being on the team.

When I hear about other teams in the league having serious drama between players, or players burning out because of the expectations of the organization, it really makes me feel so much better about which team I opted to cheer for. I just hope that if Chicago eventually gets a team it looks to how the Dragons do things rather than modeling itself on what's normal for the esports world.
It is well documented that the Dragons had one of the most grueling, exhausting, bonkers training schedules last season. Having a chef cook familiar meals and a sense of camaraderie between team members in no way excuses their management from making the players go through 12 hours of practice, 6 days per week, on top of OWL matches. I actually stopped rooting for the Dragons once I found out about their appalling schedule, because them winning would more than likely validate the team management's awful decision to work these kids so hard. I seriously, seriously doubt post-Kongdoo Panthera Dragons have a similar schedule.

Eduardo Penna

Apis Rex

Please think of the bees.
Validated User
It is well documented that the Dragons had one of the most grueling, exhausting, bonkers training schedules last season. Having a chef cook familiar meals and a sense of camaraderie between team members in no way excuses their management from making the players go through 12 hours of practice, 6 days per week, on top of OWL matches. I actually stopped rooting for the Dragons once I found out about their appalling schedule, because them winning would more than likely validate the team management's awful decision to work these kids so hard. I seriously, seriously doubt post-Kongdoo Panthera Dragons have a similar schedule.

Eduardo Penna
The way I heard it, the players last season chose those hours themselves, working above and beyond what the team management asked them to do. Several - Geguri included - maintained a self-imposed streaming hiatus during the season because they wanted to practice more and turn things around. A strong argument could be made that the management of the team should have kept the players from overworking themselves to that extent, though.

kenichi-kun

Validated User
So....

the Titans-Justice game happened. And the NYXL-Hunters too, though that one is a bit less surprising (Chengdu can be pretty crazy).

But...Justice, man. Corey popped from what I saw from the stats. Can't wait to watch the VOD-s, I couldn't watch live.

Polychrome

Internet Pacifist
Validated User
Were those teams that reliant on goats? Washington is the second worst team in the league, Vancouver should have crushed them. I wonder what happened.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Were those teams that reliant on goats? Washington is the second worst team in the league, Vancouver should have crushed them. I wonder what happened.
Vancouver was hands down the best GOATS team in the league. They slaughtered everyone in the GOATS meta. When 2-2-2 came down they were the obvious loser. Even during the GOATS meta, when Sombra GOATS became the dominant comp, Vancouver struggled to adapt. Their Sombra GOATS was weak, they still pretty much had to rely on Rein GOATS for the most part, but their bog standard Rein GOATS was so much better than anyone else's that they were able to dominate even though they had pretty much mastered a single comp.

That's how good GOATS was.

ETA: And while you're certainly not wrong that Washington has the second worst record in the league. There's no way they're anywhere close to the second worst team in the league now that we're in 2-2-2. It's just that 2-2-2 came down too late for Washington's overall record to reflect how good they are. GOATS really skewed things.

kenichi-kun

Validated User
I wanna say Shock and Vancouver are roughly head-to-head in Classic Goats (Goats Vanilla?)

I haven't followed Justice much, but Ark is pretty good, and Corey has been remarked to be a pretty good DPS player...when allowed to play DPS.

That said, I think the Titans should be able to do good even in 2-2-2, at least on a mechanical level.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
I wanna say Shock and Vancouver are roughly head-to-head in Classic Goats (Goats Vanilla?)

I haven't followed Justice much, but Ark is pretty good, and Corey has been remarked to be a pretty good DPS player...when allowed to play DPS.

That said, I think the Titans should be able to do good even in 2-2-2, at least on a mechanical level.
They've struggled so far. Basically if Haksal's Genji doesn't carry Vancouver, they have a good chance of losing. Shock was always much less reliant on 2-2-2 than Vancouver. While Shock's 2-2-2 was really good, they weren't being propped up in quite the same way that Vancouver was. And Shock looks really good in the 2-2-2 as well. Vancouver didn't have nearly the versatility that SF does.

Top Bottom