• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Overwatch Thread the 5th] Have you seen some of the things Talon wears?

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Has anyone else noticed a massive uptick in Symmetra players? I swear like 75% of my matches have at least one sym in them, and probably 40% have a sym on both sides. My theory is that with role queue, players who previously felt boxed into only playing support or tank are branching out into dps more, and Sym is a less intimidating dps to pick up because her mechanical requirements are lower than most other damage characters.
It's more likely that they already played Symmetra, but fighting for the dps spot before role queue was just a chore so they defaulted to tanks and supports.

There aren't mamy people who don't know a character even in a "just for fun" way, but the way comp was set up earlier you weren't encouraged in playing anything but your best, and definitely the smart player wasn't encouraged in playing dps because of all the Widow/Hanzo/Genji instalocks.

Speaking of Symmetra, why the hell are people still dumb about (not) using teleporters? It's right there! Saves you 3-4 seconds of walking back from spawn midfight! Why havent you bound the Interact key yet you dumbass McCree sorry that got away from me.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I do wonder how QP role queue is going to handle people playing new characters, particularly high skill ones like Sigma.

You might have 200 hours on WInston and 150 on Rein, and be upper Platinum equivalent. You want to try to add Sigma to your repertoire, but you're going to be constantly punished for trying to play him by being queued as a skilled tank, which will make him frustrating to learn to play, and a drag on your team. Is it going to assume everyone is bad at Sigma until proven otherwise, and lower your overall Tank MMR, or assume that your SIgma play starts at your average Tank MMR, leading to harder matches than you should be getting while learning SIgma.

Korhal_IV

Validated User
Has anyone else noticed a massive uptick in Symmetra players? I swear like 75% of my matches have at least one sym in them, and probably 40% have a sym on both sides. My theory is that with role queue, players who previously felt boxed into only playing support or tank are branching out into dps more, and Sym is a less intimidating dps to pick up because her mechanical requirements are lower than most other damage characters.
There's also the recent rework that extended her teleporter range, which makes some silly new shenanigans possible.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
There's also the recent rework that extended her teleporter range, which makes some silly new shenanigans possible.
Sym's always had some crazy plays (especially with Mei), it's just hard to coordinate with her.

OTOH the improved range makes bypassing chokes much easier. As long as people listen to you. You can directly drop on Hanamura point A without needing to peek past the doors, and Lijang Garden and Night Market are much more accessible.

Speaking of OWL, the new range should make the Sym/Mei flank on Gibraltar point 3 much easier to setup since it basically strained the tp range before

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User
I think the biggest reason Sym is suddenly so popular is that the majority of matches I've played since the most recent patch have had at least one Sigma in them, leading to way more double-barrier comps than we used to see, and Sym does very well against double-barrier comps.
This. Also Sym is pretty strong against Sigma in particular, and she just got a significant buff with the change to how beam damage works.

Tuxedo Mask

Intl. Man of Mystery
Validated User
Sym and Zarya both got significantly buffed in the big 222/Sigma patch. Well, it depends on the rank you're playing at, as the buff boosts lower skill players much more than higher skill, basically the worse your tracking is, the more you benefit from the change

Verenes Aoene

Materialist Spiritualist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think Sigma just clicked for me.

Barrier awareness seems to really be a huge part of it. That's true for the others as well, but the positioning is much easier to forget about with Sigma. Still learning how to aim the boulder though. That's tricky. Still though, I'm starting to hear the universe sing to me...

Apis Rex

Please think of the bees.
Validated User
I feel like the newer heroes are kinda bad at giving me a sense of positive feedback when you're doing something right with them. Baptiste, Ashe, and Sigma all seem to have animations and sound effects that make it harder for me to see and hear the hit confirmation pip. I've gone for minutes at a time as Ashe convinced I'm missing every shot but then ending up shocked when I hit tab and find out I'm gold on damage. Sometimes I'll end up in a 1v1 situation on Ashe and somehow get a solo kill with me being certain I missed every shot. Baptiste's primary fire is kinda similar with the lack of any sense that I'm doing anything. But Sigma? Everything about his animations feels awkward. I have no sense of what area I'm covering with his absorption, no sense of when the absorption starts or stops in its animation, no real sense on if I'm getting direct hits with his primary versus when I'm getting people with splash. The wind-up time on accretion at least feels consistent, even if it's going to take some getting used to.

Wookiee Wrangler

Validated User
I don'tknow whats changed but I feel like since the update I'm just not clicking like I used to. I'm a tank and support guy, but i just cant seem to tank effectively anymore

Top Bottom