• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Overwatch Thread the 5th] Have you seen some of the things Talon wears?

Dragon_Blooded

Social Justice Main Tank
Validated User
I feel like the newer heroes are kinda bad at giving me a sense of positive feedback when you're doing something right with them. Baptiste, Ashe, and Sigma all seem to have animations and sound effects that make it harder for me to see and hear the hit confirmation pip. I've gone for minutes at a time as Ashe convinced I'm missing every shot but then ending up shocked when I hit tab and find out I'm gold on damage. Sometimes I'll end up in a 1v1 situation on Ashe and somehow get a solo kill with me being certain I missed every shot. Baptiste's primary fire is kinda similar with the lack of any sense that I'm doing anything. But Sigma? Everything about his animations feels awkward. I have no sense of what area I'm covering with his absorption, no sense of when the absorption starts or stops in its animation, no real sense on if I'm getting direct hits with his primary versus when I'm getting people with splash. The wind-up time on accretion at least feels consistent, even if it's going to take some getting used to.
I have the same problem with Ashe, particularly when hitting enemies while scoped. From what I could gather, the sound from the shot and/or the sound of Ashe pulling the rifle's lever in order to put a new bullet in the chamber obscures the hit confirmation pip, even the head shot one. I also agree with you when it comes to Sigma's absorption, it feels super awkward to use (and it feels particularly weird after the last Defense Matrix change on D.Va, which made it super, incredibly obvious to spot what area it's covering).

Eduardo Penna

Ryom

Validated User
Symmetra
Primary Fire
  • Beam width lowered from 0.3 meters to 0.15
  • Beam DPS per level lowered from 65/130/195 to 60/120/180
Zarya
Primary Fire
  • Beam width no longer scales with energy (from 0.1 to 0.2) and is now always 0.15.
  • Max Beam DPS lowered from 190 to 170
15 DPS nerf to Sym, 20 DPS nerf to Zarya. Aim requirements increased.

Ask me how I feel about this.

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
The DPS nerf is to offset the bugfix in the last patch that significantly increased beam damage if you were losing and reacquiring targets repeatedly. You know, as you often do when you don't have GM steady target tracking. The narrower beams... hell if I know. I was thinking I might come back soon and see if Role Queue would make the game more fun again, but if Sym's going to be completely impossible for me to play than bugger than.

Xander

Validated User
I'm starting to feel Doomfist, after a few days of bashing my head against the wall.

I can land combos now. I purposely escaped a dVa bomb. Yay! It sort of looks like the Doomfist videos!

I love the feel of his mechanics and his "I'm getting this done over your dead body" attitude. So cool. :)

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
The DPS nerf is to offset the bugfix in the last patch that significantly increased beam damage if you were losing and reacquiring targets repeatedly. You know, as you often do when you don't have GM steady target tracking. The narrower beams... hell if I know. I was thinking I might come back soon and see if Role Queue would make the game more fun again, but if Sym's going to be completely impossible for me to play than bugger than.
I didn't really notice the dps difference as sym, at least in quick play and arcade. I do, on the other hand, love that the teleporter now keeps existing. That's new since since I was playing her last. So for me this is major net gain.

Of course I'm ALSO the idiot who only just noticed that you can send turrets through portals, so when I say I'm casual boy do I mean it...

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
So I started messing around with Sigma in Quick Play, and he is fun. I even randomly got one of his achievements by generating something like 300 shields off of a single use of his damage-absorby thingy.
Of course I'm ALSO the idiot who only just noticed that you can send turrets through portals, so when I say I'm casual boy do I mean it...
So this isn't for use all the time, and it's probably less useful in higher ranks, but it's worth trying out a good ol' turret bomb.

Step 1: deploy two turrets near your feet
Step 2: send a teleporter to a location reasonably near an enemy, probably not directly in the middle
Step 3: throw the third turret at the base of the teleporter

End result: three turrets pop up out of nowhere, and because you started setting up the first two turrets ahead of time, they'll be ready to roll by the time the teleporter winds up. So your unlucky victim winds up taking a boatload of damage out of nowhere, and unless they're paying attention, they probably don't know where to shoot. (RE: the timing, you start with two before you set up your teleporter because that's the fastest way to get set-up turrets into the enemy.

Dragon_Blooded

Social Justice Main Tank
Validated User
I haven't tried role queue yet (since I don't play Competitive), but boy oh boy do I want it in QP and do I want it NOW. For instance, today I played a control point map (either Nepal or Ilios, can't remember which one) where I was the only tank as Orisa and the only healer was our Lúcio. Lo and behold, our 1/4/1 comp got squashed like bugs by the enemy team in the first round, to the point where two of the useless DPS (because I should not have gold dmg, elims, and elims on point as Orisa with 4 friggin' DPS in the team) just quit. Then a miracle happened, and the two substitutes who came in picked a healer and a tank. And we fucking crushed them in the second and third rounds. Gee, I wonder why? I actually quit a game during set up later (thankfully my endorsement level didn't go down) because it was me, another solo, and a four-stack, and no one in the stack picked tank or healer. Role lock can't come to QP soon enough, I'll be drowning in loot boxes for picking the most needed role.

I did have a really cool run today, where I gained a whole level with nothing but wins. Including an amazing PotG with Orisa, which won us the round on Well:

Notice how I end the PotG with 33 health? I stayed like that (actually, I went down as low as 27, IIRC) while holding the point (which was at 99% for the enemy, so we lose the round if I step out of it) until our Lúcio arrived to heal me, then we proceeded to retake the point and win the round, it felt so, soooooo fucking good.

Oh, and I've been trying out the new Brig (which I like because she's now a true healer, although the character's identity was kinda wrecked in the process, because now she's too fragile to go into melee; IMO I think cutting her self-healing by half is fine because Immortal Brig was just obnoxious, but the shield nerf went a bit too far, I can see Blizz buffing it a bit later on to 300, 350 or so), and the way the new health packs interact with Kill Participation stats leads to some weird results:

ScreenShot_19-08-22_19-11-13-000.jpg ScreenShot_19-08-20_20-15-15-000.jpg ScreenShot_19-08-20_21-11-41-000.jpg ScreenShot_19-08-20_20-23-51-000.jpg

Seriously, I'm a decent Brig player, but I'm not that good.

Eduardo Penna

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
So I started messing around with Sigma in Quick Play, and he is fun. I even randomly got one of his achievements by generating something like 300 shields off of a single use of his damage-absorby thingy.

So this isn't for use all the time, and it's probably less useful in higher ranks, but it's worth trying out a good ol' turret bomb.

Step 1: deploy two turrets near your feet
Step 2: send a teleporter to a location reasonably near an enemy, probably not directly in the middle
Step 3: throw the third turret at the base of the teleporter

End result: three turrets pop up out of nowhere, and because you started setting up the first two turrets ahead of time, they'll be ready to roll by the time the teleporter winds up. So your unlucky victim winds up taking a boatload of damage out of nowhere, and unless they're paying attention, they probably don't know where to shoot. (RE: the timing, you start with two before you set up your teleporter because that's the fastest way to get set-up turrets into the enemy.
Given the increased teleport activation range, you don't even need to throw the turrets at your feet- you can throw them on a nearby wall pritected from enemy fire, and then throw the teleport

Ryom

Validated User
Sym was starting to feel viable as a not-throw DPS pick with the bug-fix in place. She's highly range limited and has no personal sustain whatsoever, so her only defense is a strong offense. Now that they've toned it back down to "feel" like pre-bug fix, you wonder what the point of fixing the bug was other than to scratch it off the list.

Zarya has also had her secondary fire splash size reduced, as well as her full charge primary fire. She's largely been a balanced leaning to weak hero for the entire life-time of the game, with GOATS largely inflating her numbers as one of the two "DPS" of the group (her and Zen). With GOATS no longer a thing due to 2/2/2 role-queue I don't understand the nerfs at all. They've decreased her damage, decreased the charge per bubble, and increased her aim requirements... to a hero that was already considered brutally difficult to get consistent value out of since the launch of the game.

edit: a TON of negative comments regarding the Sym/Zarya changes have been stealth deleted on the Blizzard forum. The thread length of the official post was just cut in half. Yikes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom