[Overwatch Thread the 5th] Have you seen some of the things Talon wears?

kenichi-kun

Validated User
Also also also...I need to rewatch the Outlaws game. Where they did WHAT I WAS THINKING OF THEY SHOULD BE DOING

Which is... put in Spree and Coolmatt, keep Jake for shot calling (from what I heard he's a good shot caller, or some kind of leadership quality?). Commit to GOATS. You can't do it on every map, but on some maps, you can just say... "screw it, time to goat it up". Spree was a pretty good Zarya, and I think Coolmatt can still be a cool D.Va, so let's do it.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yep. Awesome match. While I realize that there are (at least a couple of) top tier teams who really do seem (at this point) to stand out, I am loving the fact that so many teams are in that scrappy, competitive middle tier where they can credibly be on the cusp of making it to the playoffs.
I've seen a couple videos on how the people trying to tier teams have been pulling their hair out. There was a point when the 'who beats whom' was almost all circles of "A beat B, B beat C, but C beat A!". A few teams have risen or fallen out of that, but on the whole it's astonishingly competitive!

Vektunaxa

Old member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've seen a couple videos on how the people trying to tier teams have been pulling their hair out. There was a point when the 'who beats whom' was almost all circles of "A beat B, B beat C, but C beat A!". A few teams have risen or fallen out of that, but on the whole it's astonishingly competitive!
I've seen that, too, and I saw this one on Reddit on Sunday:

Spoiler: Show

With only the two winless teams and the two lossless teams absent.

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
All of which, honestly, is actually pretty amazing, to me. I'm loving the shake-up in OWL so far this season. I wish the meta wasn't...what it is, exactly...but damn, it's awesome to see new talent, and these new teams, and to pretty genuinely feel like I have no idea who's gonna win any given match.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I've come around on the way the meta is, because honestly, we have pretty high expectations for eSports meta compared to the fixed positions and team comps of physical sports.

Kushiel

Immanent
Validated User
Oof. My time playing last night was painful.

First game: Blizzard World, defending first. We were completely stomped, the kind of round in which the attackers don't seem to ever even slow down their progress, and then after switching sides, we weren't able to get a single tick toward unlocking the payload. I lost 50 SR after that match, which shocked me, as that's the most movement I've ever seen for a single match. Looking it up, that indicates some combination of MMR wanting to push my SR down and matchmaking thinking that my team had a great chance of winning. MMR consistently thinks that I'm worse than I am, as my SR losses for losing are always greater than my gains for winning, but usually there's a negligible disparity there, and it's not like I've suddenly rocketed up the ranks lately...so I guess matchmaking was just way off on who was favored to win that game.

Second game: Busan. First round was a win, albeit a tough one. Second round was a loss, though again a close one. Third round...I'm not sure what happened. I don't use voice comms, as I value my sanity more than winning, so I can only speculate, but my guess is that some kind of toxicity tornado caused a spiral of shitty behavior on my team, because suddenly we had one player throwing, very quickly followed by two more. What's bewildering to me is that this all occurred at the very beginning of the round, while we very obviously would've had a chance to win the match if the tantrums hadn't kicked in. 25 SR lost.

Third game: Anubis, attacking first. Things looked grim the whole time - there was an enemy Junkrat who seemed to be everywhere at once, and our team comp was less than stellar - but somehow we pulled out a two-point round. On defense, we held the first point into overtime, and then denied the enemy getting any ticks on the second point until the very end of the match, which was looking great. Our whole team was up, there were only three attackers approaching the point, and our Orisa dropped her supercharger with only five seconds left in the round...and then the Blizzard servers died. 50 SR lost due to the penalty for "leaving," effectively ~75 SR since I'm absolutely sure we would have won that match.

So...effectively 150 SR lost in three games, all due to circumstances out of my control. I don't care too much about SR, as I mainly play Comp because it's slightly less braindead than QP, but that was a powerfully disheartening night of play.

Ryom

Validated User
Oof. My time playing last night was painful...
So I'm pretty much done with competitive as of this season. My plan is to just do a placement match (why are these still a thing?!?!?) after a few arcade or QP games when I'm feeling in the zone and then be done with Overwatch for the day after that placement match is complete. Repeat until the 10 placement matches are done and the game ranks me and then that's it for competitive this season. Why?

Because you're right, the game is just TOO dependent on others for winning in competitive. My third placement had us nearly do a full hold on point A of Volskya, we were down to 90 seconds match time left. Our Junkrat is sitting on a Rip-tire, which is nearly guaranteed to win us the match when they attempt their final push... except instead of holding it for the push he Ults (90ish seconds left!) IMMEDIATELY AFTER we beat back their prior push with a Grav-Dragon combo in order to chase down the enemy Moira fleeing back to spawn. So he solo ults and kills the enemy Moira, which does not stagger them at all because everyone JUST died less than 10 seconds ago, the enemy regroups and takes the point on the final push because our Junkrat just trashed our Ult economy with that maneuver. They proceed to then push through and cap point B with sheer momentum and superior Ult economy and I lose my third placement despite having amazing stats. We lost because of ONE player making a stupid decision (not a mistake... a decision) that anyone in my rank should know better than to do.

Yes, if you're better than your rank you'll climb. The problem is that it's SO slow due to the matches like above, it just feels like a grind.

My placement match stats so far...

Last edited:

Kushiel

Immanent
Validated User
...and now tonight, after three matches in which it felt like I was trying to drag coma patients through thick mud (in the second of them, I had three gold medals including healing, playing Brigitte, with a Mercy on my team), I got the message about being bumped down a skill tier because I've lost so many games in a row.

:mad::mad::mad:

Overwatch is one of the best games I've ever played. Actually playing it has been more rage-inducing than, I think, any other game I've played, because I almost always seem to get paired with teammates whom the game expects me to carry. At this point, I'm not sure I can keep playing it any more without doing so via an alt account; do the ranks above gold get any better in terms of matchmaking, or is their algorithm just useless if you want to solo queue?

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One piece of advice I've stuck by, is if I'm losing, it doesn't matter why I'm losing, I stop. Because losses steamroll and you're never as fresh after a frustrating experience.

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I muscled through my comp placements (7-3, and one of my losses was a disco, I'll take it!), but landed at 2070 SR. Womp womp.

And yeah, I'm just not feelin' it right now. I get too frustrated in comp. Folks who don't mic up, folks who mic up and then never talk or call targets or DO ANYTHING, who still trickle in, and on and on and on. And even if I bust my ass to climb back to mid-high Gold, and bust my ass to get to Plat...I know everyone in Plat bitches about the same stuff, so it's not like I'm actually climbing my way to some secret haven of competence and good faith effort, y'know?

I'd love to play enough to get a golden Rein hammer (because Rein and Winston have been absolutely my main two heroes for the last few seasons), but...not if I'm gonna be sad and pissed off and frustrated during my leisure time to get it, y'know?

Top Bottom