• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Overwatch Thread the 5th] Have you seen some of the things Talon wears?

Ryom

Validated User
...do the ranks above gold get any better in terms of matchmaking, or is their algorithm just useless if you want to solo queue?
I've played competitive games with the team average SR between 1800 and 3200 (high-silver and mid-diamond level games). The quality of your team-mates improves as you rise, but in EVERY rank there is ALWAYS that ONE player doing dumb things that doesn't seem to belong there. So if you're wondering if you are going to experience the same frustrations above Platinum, the answer is yes. The only difference is that YOUR mistakes get punished harder the higher you go.

Xander

Validated User
True, it makes me so mad when I'm fighting on the point, and I get killed on a 3 on 1. The deathcam usually shows no blue player in the same area code, much less actually helping.

What are they doing? Sniping? Texting friends? Getting killed at the entry gate?

I want to scream dVa's "are you even trying?!" :D

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Something I try to train in myself, and I'm getting better, is the instinct of learning to look for my teammates so that I'm not fighting an impossible battle. Unless we're in overtime, it's often best for me to make sure I'm fighting with backup, because sometimes teammates get sidetracked for many reasons that aren't obvious to me.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
True, it makes me so mad when I'm fighting on the point, and I get killed on a 3 on 1. The deathcam usually shows no blue player in the same area code, much less actually helping.

What are they doing? Sniping? Texting friends? Getting killed at the entry gate?
They died on the point 20 seconds ago, also wondering where everyone else was. That's what happens when a team gets staggered and everyone tries to rush back instead of grouping up. You trickle in, one or two at a time, and quickly die again to overwhelming odds.

Try to watch the killfeed and keep a sense of how many teammates have died recently. If nothing else, when you respawn, hit Tab to see how much of you team is dead and will be respawning soon as well. It can feel like the wrong thing to just stand around waiting in spawn but often it's exactly what you need to do. Overwatch is a game of team fights. If you don't have your team, the fight is already lost. Very rarely is throwing yourself alone at the objective to buy a few seconds the right choice. Not never, but be aware that your death takes you right out of the fight again and gives your enemies all ult charge. Unless you're in Overtime you probably want to just chill and group up again.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Currently on an about 0/25 Mystery Heroes streak. Will to live, weakening. And I even had one of my best Mercy Mystery games, staying alive, being smart, healing over 10k damage... only to lose in the final minute, and, to add insult to injury, the enemy Mercy got the healing card, at over 11k! :mad:

Xander

Validated User
They died on the point 20 seconds ago, also wondering where everyone else was. That's what happens when a team gets staggered and everyone tries to rush back instead of grouping up. You trickle in, one or two at a time, and quickly die again to overwhelming odds.

Try to watch the killfeed and keep a sense of how many teammates have died recently. If nothing else, when you respawn, hit Tab to see how much of you team is dead and will be respawning soon as well. It can feel like the wrong thing to just stand around waiting in spawn but often it's exactly what you need to do. Overwatch is a game of team fights. If you don't have your team, the fight is already lost. Very rarely is throwing yourself alone at the objective to buy a few seconds the right choice. Not never, but be aware that your death takes you right out of the fight again and gives your enemies all ult charge. Unless you're in Overtime you probably want to just chill and group up again.
I do that, OWL made me keenly aware of player-advantage. So I won't initiate unless I see advantage, like if I drop an enemy or two and have an ally or two engaging. Or I'll hang in the gate and spam "Group up." while Widows and Hanzos run past me to be slaughtered like ants. Sometimes I'll gather 3 or 4 and be in a position to initiate.

I probably could be sensing that I'm alone and back out before the opponents gang up on me, true. But I always feel "I can take 3 on 1 no problem!" heh.

Strangething

Reptillian Humanoid
Validated User
I'm way down in Bronze myself. I find that if I don't act like a team leader, no one else will even think about strategy or team composition.

It sucks, cuz I don't like talking to strangers. But if I don't make an effort to say "Maybe we don't need Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Ashe on the same team" at the beginning of the match, it's going to come out as "Switch off of sniper, you dumbass" towards the end of the match.

Dragon_Blooded

Social Justice Main Tank
Validated User
The Justice wins! Poor Ado (who played on Shanghai last season) manages to get his 1st OWL win. Sure, they won against the Mayhem, but a win is a win, and much sooner than Shanghai's.

Eduardo Penna

kenichi-kun

Validated User
Yeah, happy for the Justice, and it was a good game.

Sorry for Paris for going losing again, I think they have a problem with morale though, as the last game they seemed to lose steam.

I cannot wait to rewatch the Atlanta-Chengdu game though. Hopefully the VOD is up now.

Sad about the Houston-Atlanta game though, I feel Houston could be better than it is. Will try and rewatch that sometime.

Top Bottom