• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Oxygen Not Included] Don't Suffocate

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
This game is definitely by the same folks who made Don't Starve - you command a small team of 'duplicants' as they excavate an unknown alien planet, build a base, explore, and try not to die.

Anyone else trying the Early Access for this one? I've lost colonies to starvation, overheating (and then starvation), food poisoning epidemics, and stress explosions, but my current one is doing pretty well, aside from frantically searching for MORE ALGAE. (And I found a snack machine!)

Seems like actually surviving depends on finding things that break the laws of Thermodynamics - plants that grow infinitely or radiate cold, animals that break the Law of Conservation of Mass, infinite geysers....

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
I've got that game. I haven't played any world long enough for catastrophe to hit, probably because I start small and slow, and prioritize making them comfortable.

I have seen help online with basic strategy, such as build two outhouses first, and avoid loud sleepers....

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
I started playing the early access some months ago then took a break. I haven't gotten back on since they introduced a ton of new features, like germs and thermal resistance and god knows what else. I keep planning on getting back into it, but I have so many other games to play, and most of my gaming time right now is taken up with playing duos on PUBG with my wife.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh yes, yes indeed. It scratches several of my itches, but, there's a period about 40 cycles in where I start to juggle too many things at once and falter. Water shortages have always been the biggest stumbling block, but the times I got past that one, I ran into heat issues and couldn't salvage it.

Trying to figure it all out, but, it's tricky. There's still a TON of things I've not done, like anything whith Hydrogen or Chlorine, taming animals, and I've never even *seen* oil, let alone plastic.

Fun game, but damned hard.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Oh yes, yes indeed. It scratches several of my itches, but, there's a period about 40 cycles in where I start to juggle too many things at once and falter. Water shortages have always been the biggest stumbling block, but the times I got past that one, I ran into heat issues and couldn't salvage it.
To save water, start using the Electrolyzer to make oxygen (and hydrogen) ASAP - it's vastly more efficient than Algae Terrariums. (And you can use the hydrogen to run a hydrogen engine, later!) I wish I'd known that a lot sooner in this game.

The heat issues ruined one otherwise good base for me, before - turns out there's a few guaranteed ultra-cold areas on the map that can help cool down your colony. So explore as fast as you can! (Also, use the thermal overlay to see which zones around your colony are the hottest, and start making Insulated Tile walls in those directions.) I _think_ I've got the heat beat for the moment, but I'm still worried....

Chlorine: Is heavier than oxygen, so making U-shaped passages can help keep chlorine from leaking into habitable areas (with an airlock door, of course). Duplicants are ridiculously tough, and can work while holding their breath in chlorine (or underwater) for a surprisingly long time.

Fun game, but damned hard.
Yep. I think I'm getting a handle on it, but then I go on the forum and there's people talking about how to make infinitely sustainable bases and other crazy stuff. Like a Roguelike game, there's a LOT of things a normal player won't figure out on their own.

Last edited:

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh. Didn't know there *were* forums. Wild.

And I did NOT know that about the Electrolyzer. I've used Terrariums for forever as they seemed the most efficient. Hrm!

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Oh, one other hint: You don't HAVE to add a new duplicant every time you have the chance. My current base is ticking along quite nicely with 16 dupes, as of turn 170-something.

Anyone got tips for organizing the electrical wiring? I keep getting brownouts.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, one other hint: You don't HAVE to add a new duplicant every time you have the chance. My current base is ticking along quite nicely with 16 dupes, as of turn 170-something.

Anyone got tips for organizing the electrical wiring? I keep getting brownouts.
It's tricky.

Normal wire can hold a thousand watts, but the thicker wire holds way more. I've taken to making sure each floor stays under a thousand, with power adapters on the end of each floor, which tie in to the big thick megawire. Keep everything flowing right.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Need to figure out the right command to make screenshots so I can share some stuff.

Grf.

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
If this is a Steam game, you can take screenshots with F12. Also, Steam lets you repost images for free, unlike some places people used to like for screenshots...

Top Bottom