• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Oxygen Not Included] Don't Suffocate

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Quality of Life III hit today.

The name seems misleading. It's radically changing a bunch of things. I'd consider it a 'must start over' update.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Quality of Life III hit today.

The name seems misleading. It's radically changing a bunch of things. I'd consider it a 'must start over' update.
Yeah, I think so. Diseases got reworked quite a bit - looks like they're less severe, but easier to catch? I'm not looking forward to finding out what the 'zombie spores' disease is like...

IMPORTANT NOTE: The "Allergies" disadvantage is one of the more annoying ones. When the dupe I had with it did any sort of farming work (or even WALKS BY a plant?), they'd sneeze and drop things for the next minute or so.

StreetBushido

Validated User
The official release date is the 28th of May. I can honestly say that I'm excited for this one!

I've poked at the game a few times during its time in Early Access and even in its unfinished state I've had a good time with it. Now I'm staying away until 1.0 drops and I can dig into the real deal.

This is gonna be good!

Mike000

Validated User
IMPORTANT NOTE: The "Allergies" disadvantage is one of the more annoying ones. When the dupe I had with it did any sort of farming work (or even WALKS BY a plant?), they'd sneeze and drop things for the next minute or so.
Emotes-cancel-tasks is on the list of things they're fixing. Nonetheless, pollen is useful because it blocks slimelung from occupying the same air (as does airborne food poisoning.)
Ranching seems completely broken to me...but that may just be me-the-entropy-magnet. My hatch rancher spends approximately 100% of his time wrangling shinebugs without any orders to do so.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Also, you can make antihistamine pills for allergic dupes, but it seems like a lot of work for little reward - for now, I'm just putting Allergies in the Nope File along with Trypophobia and Narcoleptic. OTOH, looks like it's only set off around blooming Bristle Blossoms?

Ore scrubbers just became useful - it seems germs can spread by touch now (so I had to put a sink next to my compost heap after someone got Food Poisoning from schlepping polluted dirt to it) and slimelung germs spread like crazy on anything mined in a swamp biome.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Also, you can make antihistamine pills for allergic dupes, but it seems like a lot of work for little reward - for now, I'm just putting Allergies in the Nope File along with Trypophobia and Narcoleptic. OTOH, looks like it's only set off around blooming Bristle Blossoms?
Trypophobia is the one where they can't dig, right? I don't think that's that bad. There's plenty of non-digging work to do. I wouldn't take it in a starting dupe, but after you've got 4 or 5 already, having somebody who spends all their time tending to research, farms, tidying, flipping switches, and so on seems just fine.
Ore scrubbers just became useful - it seems germs can spread by touch now (so I had to put a sink next to my compost heap after someone got Food Poisoning from schlepping polluted dirt to it) and slimelung germs spread like crazy on anything mined in a swamp biome.
Germs could always spread by touch? What they couldn't do, at least historically, is infect by touch. But if your dupe had food poisoning on their hands and then handled food they would wind up eating some germs. (Usually not enough germs to get sick, due to the now-defunct immune system mechanics. You really needed to make food with highly contaminated water or store it for a while so the germs could grow, or both, to get dangerous levels of food poisoning germs.)

Slimelung, prior to this update at least, could only infect when dupes breathe in germs that are floating in gas. This makes slimelung on solids other than slime or maybe polluted soil mostly harmless, because they have no way to get from there to the atmosphere. Even slimelung in water was safe unless you were using that water to feed oxygen-making, because eating slimelung had no ill effects.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Germs could always spread by touch? What they couldn't do, at least historically, is infect by touch. But if your dupe had food poisoning on their hands and then handled food they would wind up eating some germs. (Usually not enough germs to get sick, due to the now-defunct immune system mechanics. You really needed to make food with highly contaminated water or store it for a while so the germs could grow, or both, to get dangerous levels of food poisoning germs.)
That's probably why I never noticed before.
I expect germs to be much more of an ongoing problem now...

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
It's release day. ONI is now out in its final* form with a bunch of new stuff (none of which I actually know anything about).

* Obviously not actually final, post-release support will happen. But probably feature-complete?

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I've seen the saltwater biome, though I have yet to crack it open.

One nice low-key change - you can get tooltips that tell you what temperature machine outputs are at.

Also, the water filter doesn't automatically output hot water anymore, it looks like.

Top Bottom